Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-02-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 manual

VTT S55 crank bolt capture

Has anyone used this to any success? Is it even worth it?
http://performance.vargasturbo.com/bmw-products/
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkite View Post
While this won't totally prevent a SCH, this is a pretty good way to keep the crank hub bolt from backing out. Although, if the whole SCH decides to spin, it'll take the bolt with it.

It shouldn't hurt to add it as long as it's properly balanced! However, it is adding extra weight to the crank hub assembly and should be tested thoroughly to assure it doesn't create or magnify damaging harmonic vibrations.

I don't know how I feel about this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Quote:
While this won't totally prevent a SCH, this is a pretty good way to keep the crank hub bolt from backing out. Although, if the whole SCH decides to spin, it'll take the bolt with it.

It shouldn't hurt to add it as long as it's properly balanced! However, it is adding extra weight to the crank hub assembly and should be tested thoroughly to assure it doesn't create or magnify damaging harmonic vibrations.

I don't know how I feel about this one.
It's supposed to be only 1.3 oz. I also have to wonder just touching it like that might unsettle things. Why couldn't they have just keyed the crank to begin with.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's supposed to be only 1.3 oz. I also have to wonder just touching it like that might unsettle things. Why couldn't they have just keyed the crank to begin with.
Adding ANY weight to the end of the crank could be an issue.

As for why BMW didn't key the crank to begin with? No idea. They fixed this problem on the B-series engines as the the sprockets are forged into the crank.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Adding ANY weight to the end of the crank could be an issue.

As for why BMW didn't key the crank to begin with? No idea. They fixed this problem on the B-series engines as the the sprockets are forged into the crank.
Yea the B series engine looks really well put together also it has the plasma wire arch cylinder walls. It looks like a really nice engine. Can't wait to see some M love on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea the B series engine looks really well put together also it has the plasma wire arch cylinder walls. It looks like a really nice engine. Can't wait to see some M love on it.
The B58 doesn't really need much prep-work to be a true S58 (S55 successor).

The B58 is a much better platform than the N55/N54. I just hope BMW did their homework on the timing chain/Vanos components and didn't go cheap there, because changing any of those parts will require the whole subframe/engine to be dropped as they moved the timing chain to the rear of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The B58 doesn't really need much prep-work to be a true S58 (S55 successor).

The B58 is a much better platform than the N55/N54. I just hope BMW did their homework on the timing chain/Vanos components and didn't go cheap there, because changing any of those parts will require the whole subframe/engine to be dropped as they moved the timing chain to the rear of the engine.

The B58 is a much better platform than the N55/N54. I just hope BMW did their homework on the timing chain/Vanos components and didn't go cheap there, because changing any of those parts will require the whole subframe/engine to be dropped as they moved the timing chain to the rear of the engine.[/QUOTE]
Are you kidding me at the rear, that's gona be a mofo of a job.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Thanks for the interest guys! Just got our vendorship here squared away and made a thread.
Appreciate 0