Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
rblynn78
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5M

Issues with HEX Tune / Dinan Tune

All,
I am looking for some help here and I think alot of other members would be interested. I really want to go with the HEX tune as I feel it is a better tune and I love the features and VF has a solid history, nothing against them at all and they are always responsive to questions. The one downside is no warranty obviously, where Dinan comes in. I love the idea of the warranty but I feel that the Dinan isn't as good of a tune and it doesn't have the features that HEX has.

So, here is the question. I know the HEX tune has been out for about a year now and alot of you have had the tune done and are impressed by it.

1.) Has anyone had issues with tune yet that required a trip to the mechanic / BMW dealer? If so, please explain

2.) How many of you have had the car serviced with the tune and did you "turn the ECU back to stock" or leave it as is?

3.) Has anyone had a dealer see the tune and comment on your warranty?

Thanks, I think there are a lot of us sitting on the fence with this due to warranty concerns, but, if there are a lot people with this tune and no issues that are showing up, that somewhat eliminates that concern.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

10% chance anyone offers any usable advice and doesn't just tell you to search...

I can't comment on the tune but I've read numerous thread and posts regarding the same. Take a look through the HEX and Bootmod3 threads and you should be able to gather the data you require.

Warranty comes down to your BMW SA and tech, and whether or not you have a catastrophic failure which leads them to looking at your flash count and prior ECU parameters.

Its a roll of the dice.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

I've always had Dinan on my previous BMW's because it was an ECU flash tune but now that it isn't, I went with HEX. I've had no issues with the HEX tune that has required service and/or a mechanic. I plan to switch the file back to stock when I take it in for the scheduled maintenance. That process takes all of 5 minutes.
      11-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

If you are afraid of loosing warranty, then this is not for you. You have to accept the consequences for tuning your ECU, doesn't matter who's tune you are using
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2232.00
      11-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
If you are afraid of loosing warranty, then this is not for you. You have to accept the consequences for tuning your ECU, doesn't matter who's tune you are using
Which tune is not for him? BMW does not warranty any tune including Dinan. Dinan offers a separate warranty in case any issues arise that BMW will not cover related to the Dinan tune.
      11-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
rblynn78
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5M

Thank you all so far for the feedback. To be clear, I am aware of the risks, I have had tunes on all of my previous cars without issue. I am also aware the Dinan warranty is Dinan not BMW. What I am really looking for is are there notable or repeatable issues showing up with regards to the HEX tune? If the answer is no, then I am sold. Just wanted to open this up for conversation one last time before the purchase. I would also love to hear that people have gone to the dealership for service and no one ever noticed the car was tuned. Just a verification.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm curious as well and how about leased cars ? can they find out if your car has been tuned ?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Waiting for BMW to come up with their own tune. It is going to happen for sure (easy to do with turbo engine). More money for them now that dealers are moving away from Dinan.
I will go for it mainly because of the warranty. Who does not want more torque and hp?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #9
Pak317
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80

Have the hex tune and did not bother changing it back to the stock tune when I went in for service. Service advisor did not say anthing. Also haven't had any issues where i had to take the car in.

Hope that helps
      11-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Traded my car in to a dealer..'16 M3 with hex stage 2.

Car was originally CPO'ed, then bmw revoked the CPO when the car was plugged in and they tried updating the dme with the latest software integration.

Car has a permanent "tamper code" that it throws when the ecu is cracked.

Fantastic tune though!! Much better than the jb4 I had

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
Inprogress
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver View Post

Car was originally CPO'ed, then bmw revoked the CPO when the car was plugged in and they tried updating the dme with the latest software integration.

So you traded it in, they CPO'd it, then they revoked the CPO tag from the car? Did they reach out to you through all of this once you had traded it in?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #12
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

thought I read somewhere a tuner on here has resolved this
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress View Post
Quote:

So you traded it in, they CPO'd it, then they revoked the CPO tag from the car? Did they reach out to you through all of this once you had traded it in?
I know people at the dealer. Bmw is cracking down on cars that have been tampered with according to the internal memo they got

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblynn78 View Post
Thank you all so far for the feedback. To be clear, I am aware of the risks, I have had tunes on all of my previous cars without issue. I am also aware the Dinan warranty is Dinan not BMW. What I am really looking for is are there notable or repeatable issues showing up with regards to the HEX tune? If the answer is no, then I am sold. Just wanted to open this up for conversation one last time before the purchase. I would also love to hear that people have gone to the dealership for service and no one ever noticed the car was tuned. Just a verification.
When the dealership plugs into your car they will immediately know, it's whether or not they choose to act on it
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 05:32 AM   #15
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

Flash is so much better than a JB on its own but that sucks about the tamper code and CPO. Couldn't you flash back to stock? bootmod3 solved this just the other day and some were jumpimg on their backs saying it doesn't happen for anyone so what's the big deal?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #16
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Quote:

Flash is so much better than a JB on its own but that sucks about the tamper code and CPO. Couldn't you flash back to stock? bootmod3 solved this just the other day and some were jumpimg on their backs saying it doesn't happen for anyone so what's the big deal?
That's what they did. They flashed it back to stock. But in flashing back to stock, the computer read the tamper code recorded in the dme and sent that code to bmw.

When bmw reviewed it, they voided the cpo on the car.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 01:52 AM   #17
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold: '13 RS5

Does a JB tune trigger any tamper codes?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #18
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Waiting for BMW to come up with their own tune. It is going to happen for sure (easy to do with turbo engine). More money for them now that dealers are moving away from Dinan.
I will go for it mainly because of the warranty. Who does not want more torque and hp?
Agreed!
      11-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #19
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
1. Enjoy the wait.

2. Enjoy paying $3500 for peak increases of 0.78 HP and 0.88TQ.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #20
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
For what 20-30hp and 5-7k and then get beat on by every other S55 out there? Waste of money to me honestly. Just man up and get a real tune or just leave the car stock and money in your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #22
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver
That's what they did. They flashed it back to stock. But in flashing back to stock, the computer read the tamper code recorded in the dme and sent that code to bmw.

When bmw reviewed it, they voided the cpo on the car.

The 201101 Tamper Code has been discussed a few times before, but I'll address it one more time here for clarification.

HEX Tuning Software does not trigger the 201101 fault code for "DME: Protection against tampering: Program or data manipulation detected".

This has been the case since we initially released our software in May of 2015, and still remains the case today.

The issue that MThree_Driver experienced will happen with ANY brand of ECU Flash Tune when it is overwritten of re-flashed at the dealerships level.

Any current or future HEX Tuning customer who is worried about this happening is encouraged to contact us directly so that we can educate them on the pros/cons of performance software, and how to avoid the unintentional consequences of seeking power through aftermarket tuning.
Appreciate 3