Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-01-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
rbr2road
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Bolt on mods and dyno sheet

So finally I had a chance to get my car on a dyno. This was ran on a dyno dynamics. The car has been a blast and so far I've just done a few bolt ons. I look back and wish I would have done a jb4 but as the car sits currently I have installed dinantronics stage 2 tune, injen CAI, and just installed the afe high flow catted downpipes.

The rest of the car is stock other than the 295/30/19 pilot sport cup 2 tires. Have to say the tires have been a major improvement!!
Couple of questions:
Anybody know what kind of boost the dinantronics will run?
How much more hp/tq do you all think the jb4 would run?
Does the dynamics dynometer really show 12% less numbers?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

My opinion is - NONE... a jb4 or any piggy back can never be the same proper quality tuning such as direct dme tuning.

Try a VF engeneering tune or evolve...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
M3anPower
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm
My opinion is - NONE... a jb4 or any piggy back can never be the same proper quality tuning such as direct dme tuning.

Try a VF engeneering tune or evolve...
Where you got this statement from?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #4
rbr2road
Rep

Since I already have the dinantronics I was wondering if the vf hex flash would add benefit. I guess a better way to look at it would be if I did the vf hex flash would dinantronics(stage 2) do anything in addition to the flash.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 03:20 AM   #5
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr2road View Post
Since I already have the dinantronics I was wondering if the vf hex flash would add benefit. I guess a better way to look at it would be if I did the vf hex flash would dinantronics(stage 2) do anything in addition to the flash.

Doesnt dinan provide warranty? Isnt that what your paying the extra for with dinan

If you plan to stack you shouldve just bought a jb4

I have a gad stage 2, dynoed at 548 hp and I plan to stack with a jb4
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr2road
So finally I had a chance to get my car on a dyno. This was ran on a dyno dynamics. The car has been a blast and so far I've just done a few bolt ons. I look back and wish I would have done a jb4 but as the car sits currently I have installed dinantronics stage 2 tune, injen CAI, and just installed the afe high flow catted downpipes.

The rest of the car is stock other than the 295/30/19 pilot sport cup 2 tires. Have to say the tires have been a major improvement!!
Couple of questions:
Anybody know what kind of boost the dinantronics will run?
How much more hp/tq do you all think the jb4 would run?
Does the dynamics dynometer really show 12% less numbers?
It'll show whatever the dyno operator wants it to. Don't chase a final number, chase a delta.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
It'll show whatever the dyno operator wants it to. Don't chase a final number, chase a delta.
+1

Dynos are for measuring changes.

Going to a dyno just for 1 number will never leave you understanding how much you gained.

Everyone should do a stock pull on a stock vehicle, same dyno, before going to the dyno with modifications.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1990 View Post
Where you got this statement from?
With a true tune you can change much more parameters than with the jb4, plus with the tune you keep all 100% safety feautures of the DME that are implemented from BMW.

Just my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
With a true tune you can change much more parameters than with the jb4, plus with the tune you keep all 100% safety feautures of the DME that are implemented from BMW.

Just my opinion...
You need to understand how the S55's DME works to understand why you don't really need to change more parameters for most situations. The JB4 is just a glorified boost controller and keeps the DME in control of all other aspects (including all safety features). Some "tunes" do away with some of the DME's safety features, such as desensitizing the knock sensor.

The DME is in full closed-loop control over fueling (AFR targets are perfect for stock turbos) and the stock ignition timing curve is already knock limited on pump gas. The only area of a flash tune that you would benefit from on pump gas would be possibly changing valve overlap, but it remains to be seen if there is any power locked away in the cam angles over the stock tuning.

Flash tunes, such as VF Engineering's HEX tune for the S55, has other auxiliary features (such as an aggressive overrun burble) that the JB4 obviously doesn't have anything control over. If you don't have a ZCP/GTS and want those features and more, I highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 11:35 PM   #10
rbr2road
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
You need to understand how the S55's DME works to understand why you don't really need to change more parameters for most situations. The JB4 is just a glorified boost controller and keeps the DME in control of all other aspects (including all safety features). Some "tunes" do away with some of the DME's safety features, such as desensitizing the knock sensor.

The DME is in full closed-loop control over fueling (AFR targets are perfect for stock turbos) and the stock ignition timing curve is already knock limited on pump gas. The only area of a flash tune that you would benefit from on pump gas would be possibly changing valve overlap, but it remains to be seen if there is any power locked away in the cam angles over the stock tuning.

Flash tunes, such as VF Engineering's HEX tune for the S55, has other auxiliary features (such as an aggressive overrun burble) that the JB4 obviously doesn't have anything control over. If you don't have a ZCP/GTS and want those features and more, I highly recommend it.

I appreciate the insight, so thank you. The great thing about forums is to have an audience who can help teach others! One of the reasons why I went with the dinantronics over the jb4 was because it was indeed a supposed safer route for the engine. So in regards to the hex flash it would seem to make sense that this also doesn't increase the risk of just simply increasing boost or tricking sensors to allow the s55 to perform at higher levels? So to gain those gts like qualities I could obtain the hex flash and keep the dinantronics and still have some gain in features. I've tried to keep the car legal and reliable as of current. Now, who's to say that some pure turbos, injection port system and some other upgrades aren't in the stars at some point haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 03:19 AM   #11
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post

Just my opinion...
The text in bold is key here. Thank you for clarifying that your preceding statements are merely opinion. So long as everyone else understands that it is not factual, we're all good.
Appreciate 0