BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2016, 06:25 AM   #1
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vert

My Nardo Grey X5. Question regarding exhaust.

Hi guys.
I just want to share some pictures of my car with you guys. It has some mods including:
-nardy grey wrap
-x5m bumpers
-exhaust
-Vossen 20'' wheels

Before looking at the pictures, I have some questions regarding the exhaust. (Sorry for being a newbie about the exhaust system).
Here is the situation, Since I have changed the bumper covers, I have the new exhaust setup which comes with the package. I have been using the exhaust for a few days. It is not the best exhaust system, and the car seems to lose some torque as well. It has the low grunt,but pretty noisy when cruising. Obviously free stuff is not that good. Thus right now, I am thinking change the exhaust system. The question is whether should I look into the exhaust made for X5 or X5 M? (Obviously I have the X5M bumper, but everything else is X5). If I go with the X5 exhaust system, I have to make changes to the pipe and is it gonna be a problem.

Please give me some advise and sorry for my English.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Like the new bumpers. Are those OEM or replica? Few points:

I'd replace the wheels. Either put OEM X5M wheels on there, or go for a nice set of aftermarket 22s

Having both the x5 35i badges and the X5M cladding on the side is too much. Since it's not an X5M, I'd remove the badging.

The wrap seems to have a lot of orange peel. I know you can cut that if it's paint, but can you do anything about that on a wrap?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Like the new bumpers. Are those OEM or replica? Few points:

I'd replace the wheels. Either put OEM X5M wheels on there, or go for a nice set of aftermarket 22s

Having both the x5 35i badges and the X5M cladding on the side is too much. Since it's not an X5M, I'd remove the badging.

The wrap seems to have a lot of orange peel. I know you can cut that if it's paint, but can you do anything about that on a wrap?
Thx for the reply.
These bumpers are replica. As far as wheels goes, I can't use 22" cuz where I live you won't survive a day. Regarding the wrap, it is gonna be the way it is now. In real life, the orange effect is minimal.
Any comments about the exhaust?

Btw I'm not trying to make it into a x5m. I just don't like the plain look of the non m lineup, which is why I made the changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Brace yourself because your going to get a lot of hate on the X5M badging on the side along with the X5M front and rear looks. Might as well remove the xDrive 35i emblems on the side for a cleaner look

Regarding the exhaust, it looks like you are experiencing drone with the X5M style exhaust.. maybe our west coast shop guru r33_RGSport can assist.
      06-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

PurM3 , what muffler system is that? Do you have the picture before it was installed?
If I were you , I do a full complete X5M exterior conversion.
Hint: You are missing the side mirrors.

For other members: Please don't flame him. He is in China, the car price is at the very least is double then what it cost in the US. But, I would do it though, lol. Why pay the X5M price when you can get 90% similar of a car at cheaper price.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport
PurM3 , what muffler system is that? Do you have the picture before it was installed?

For other members: Please don't flame him. He is in China, the car price is at the very least is double then what it cost in the US. But, I would do it though, lol. Why pay the X5M price when you can get 90% similar of a car at cheaper price.
You are so right. It costs me about 1 million rmb in China which is about 160,000 usd.

As far as exterior goes, I just like the styling. Not trying to be a X5M, I didn't even put the m badge on the back.

Regarding the mufflers, man I have no idea what it is cuz I didn't even think about changing the exhaust and it came with the exterior package. The drone is absolutely killing me when cruising. Any advise on the exhaust is much appreciated..

Thx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

We're not flaming him, and I don't think anyone is exempt from commentary on their car simply because they live in a country where the car in question just happens to be more expensive. You could say the same for our European friends that pay $120K for a 40e M Sport.

I agree that the front and rear bumpers look nice, but I doubt his base X5 is 90% an X5M after just adding front and rear bumpers and putting a wrap on there...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Brace yourself because your going to get a lot of hate on the X5M badging on the side along with the X5M front and rear looks. Might as well remove the xDrive 35i emblems on the side for a cleaner look

Regarding the exhaust, it looks like you are experiencing drone with the X5M style exhaust.. maybe our west coast shop guru r33_RGSport can assist.
I agree with you there. I personally own an M3 and surely I notice other non M 3 series with M3 bumpers and and side skirts. I don't know why but they really bug me. It may have to do with them debadging their cars to pose as M cars... Just a personal thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #9
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

I love the look of the exhaust but that's like the 3rd report I have read of a performance exhaust reducing power. Too much flow can have a negative effect, reducing velocity. With exhaust velocity higher there is a scavenging effect that further sucks the exhaust out of the cylinder. Typically that was on hi-pro V8's decades ago. Maybe the exhaust is messing with the tune I don't know. I would be VERY interested to hear from i35 owners who have installed the performance exhaust whether they felt this reduced power.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolidge View Post
I love the look of the exhaust but that's like the 3rd report I have read of a performance exhaust reducing power. Too much flow can have a negative effect, reducing velocity. With exhaust velocity higher there is a scavenging effect that further sucks the exhaust out of the cylinder. Typically that was on hi-pro V8's decades ago. Maybe the exhaust is messing with the tune I don't know. I would be VERY interested to hear from i35 owners who have installed the performance exhaust whether they felt this reduced power.
If you are talking about OEM performance exhaust, then there is no negative affect from it.
      06-16-2016, 01:13 AM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
If you are talking about OEM performance exhaust, then there is no negative affect from it.
Yep, as Kzang said, no negative effect. I've driven a 35i with and without. I'm really surprised at people reporting drone. I heard none in the MPPK/MPE 35i that I had driven for 2 weeks. I guess some are more sensitive than others.

Regarding your badging...no flaming you at all, but it just looks sort of tacky to have both. It might be better (again all up to you because it's your car) to debadge completely to give it a more uniform X5M look. No one is calling you out for your love of the X5M...many of us love it. The 35i badges and X5 on the rear just makes it look awkward with all of the X5M parts and emblems. Too much of anything is never good (that's literally a statement for everything in life ). Great color option though for your wrap. Nardo Grey is very unique. I know 22" VFS2s would flow much better, but I understand the crappy road situation. Why didn't you just get 20" OEM wheels and powdercoat them black? That would have flowed better with your wrap in my humble opinion . Black wheels always seem to look best with the Nardo Grey color options.

Nonetheless, congrats and enjoy it in good health .
      06-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #12
Kzang
Major General
Rep

^^ yes exactly my thoughts.. adding badges and leaving the 35i badge next to the X5M side vent emblem just looks awkward.
      06-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #13
Z3grape
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 X6 40i

I'm sure everybody has seen that little m emblem the ..I think e40 has. It is right above the curtain. What is the difference?
      06-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3grape View Post
I'm sure everybody has seen that little m emblem the ..I think e40 has. It is right above the curtain. What is the difference?
Don't confuse M Sport with X5M. The OP has X5M cladding on a non X5M. That's a huge "no" in the world of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #15
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Great color! I agree with debadging your car. Might as well get the X5M side mirrors and brake kit to complete the X5M look. Btw, could you snap a photo of your exhaust system from underneath? Good luck with the project.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 01:17 AM   #16
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

The car is in China. Over there you can make anything possible. lol
      06-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #17
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep

Thx for all the replies. Many people are talking about the m badge on the side vent. This comes with the package. I didn't really pay attention to it when I got the car and didn't really care about it since it was really small.

Also over here, not too many people are crazy about X5M. Even you paid for the real deal, not too many people would truly understand it.

Trust me right now, I wish I got the m performance package. That way I didn't need to modify the exhaust. The only option right now is to get a exhaust as my Indy shop told me. He recommends a VHP exhaust which I never heard before. It has the valve control feature that can be great. I'm going to hear a car with that exhaust on it in a few days and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #18
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Car looks great!
Post an exhaust clip of your exhaust, if you can. Curious to hear what it sounds like
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #19
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

The car looks great, I would either remove the 35i badge or just remove the M. Having both looks kind of weird!

I know where you coming from, buying the car in china is a real pain. I am relocating to SH in a few months and plan to go for Q7 this time around and it is also around 1~1.2 million rmb hahahaha..
      06-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #20
Z3grape
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Don't confuse M Sport with X5M. The OP has X5M cladding on a non X5M. That's a huge "no" in the world of BMW.
No skin off my nose and I own a M3. Couldn't care less if people want to cosmetically change their car to look "cooler"
      06-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #21
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07
The car looks great, I would either remove the 35i badge or just remove the M. Having both looks kind of weird!

I know where you coming from, buying the car in china is a real pain. I am relocating to SH in a few months and plan to go for Q7 this time around and it is also around 1~1.2 million rmb hahahaha..
Thx. The new Q7 is a great car. I think the new version looks too boxy. It's gota have the s line package.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i
Car looks great!
Post an exhaust clip of your exhaust, if you can. Curious to hear what it sounds like
Thx. My exhaust sounds like crap. It doesn't sound good and it has drone. You can't expect too much from the free stuff.

I'm going to go back to the oem exhaust. I don't want my x5 sound too loud. After all, it is a family suv.
Appreciate 0