BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

06-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
volinder
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw wannabe

Information request on option 6NS -Convienence Telephony/ Smartphone Conn

Hi everyone,

My father bought a 2016 X5 35d brand new. One of the options is the 6NS- Convenience Telephony w/ Smartphone. On the website the option has very little description but shows the following cradle as the picture

Unfortunately his X5, nor does my 2016 X5M have this cradle installed. The dealer insists that the cradle isn't included but rather the fact the phone can be plugged in using an iPhone cable to the usb that allows it to interact with BMW Apps is the actual feature.

Can someone please clarify if this is the case. Unfortnately we already found out our brand new X5 listed options that we paid for and ended up not having them in the vehicle. The dealer took responsibility for this and is refunding us the money but the trust is now lacking.

Regards,

VSD
2013 M5 6 speed
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

6NS option can very easily be coded into the car without paying for it. The only hardware difference is second microphone on the passenger side which is in my opinion not needed. 6NS gives you an "office" in idrive manu, and ability to pair more then one phone with bluetooth. iPhone cradle is useless and many users are asking how to remove it since it takes up so much room.
      06-08-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@volinder , I may be wrong, but MY16, BMWNA changed the 6NS into with the cradle and without the cradle. I don't remember the exact option code.
I think it was about 200-300USD difference.
Also, keep in mind, even if you have the cradle, the phone adapter is sold separately.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #4
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I always had the 6NS option added to my cars - along with the cradle. I won't add it again since connecting with a cable is actually more convenient and as others have said, 'enhanced Bluetooth' as we call it can be coded.

In the UK, 6NS includes cradle, additional mic and a 4G (LTE) connection rather than 3G.

For MY17 the cradle is gone but wireless charging added instead.
      06-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
6NS option can very easily be coded into the car without paying for it. The only hardware difference is second microphone on the passenger side which is in my opinion not needed. 6NS gives you an "office" in idrive manu, and ability to pair more then one phone with bluetooth. iPhone cradle is useless and many users are asking how to remove it since it takes up so much room.
I think I mentioned this in one of my other posts a few months ago. I know I am in the minority, but I like the 6NS option with the cradle. Yes, you lose a lot of space in the arm rest and you still have to purchase the snap in adaptor for your particular smart phone but I like it because when you use the snap in adaptor, you get a different image on the screen when the adaptor is in use and it looks a little cleaner since you don't have phone cables hanging out of arm rest. I will also acknowledge that much of this could be achieved by simply connecting through blue tooth but I just like that the phone is hard wired to my X5.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
I think I mentioned this in one of my other posts a few months ago. I know I am in the minority, but I like the 6NS option with the cradle. Yes, you lose a lot of space in the arm rest and you still have to purchase the snap in adaptor for your particular smart phone but I like it because when you use the snap in adaptor, you get a different image on the screen when the adaptor is in use and it looks a little cleaner since you don't have phone cables hanging out of arm rest. I will also acknowledge that much of this could be achieved by simply connecting through blue tooth but I just like that the phone is hard wired to my X5.
I remember the thread))). Glad that cradle works for you. What i did was i bought a very short like 3-4 inch apple cable and just keep a phone in the compartment.
      06-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Hey @artem123 Don't be a 'cradleist'! I love my cradle, had one in all my Beemers. Wouldn't be without it. It charges up my iPhone, improves connectivity via the sharkfin, keeps it nice and secure and out of the way.

Don't be 'disin' us who love The Cradle'.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Hey @artem123 Don't be a 'cradleist'! I love my cradle, had one in all my Beemers. Wouldn't be without it. It charges up my iPhone, improves connectivity via the sharkfin, keeps it nice and secure and out of the way.

Ok, ok)))) You got me convinced. My next one will have it)))
      06-10-2016, 05:30 AM   #9
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:

I've never been able to improve reception. If I didn't have reception before docking, I didn't have reception after docking.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 06:15 AM   #10
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

iPhone reception isn't improved - iPhones have no connection to an external antenna so it's impossible.
      06-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
iPhone reception isn't improved - iPhones have no connection to an external antenna so it's impossible.
MarkG335 Am I being fooled and is BMW telling porky pies?

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...l?proDsId=9125

The signal strength indicator bars go up when using the snap-in so it connects to something.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well, i second that^^.
Only way how cradle can improve iPhone's reception is if it becomes a femtocell, which is not. Now, i cannot say the same about other brands, but i can assure that iPhone's reception and usb port are two different ball parks.

Last edited by artem123; 06-11-2016 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #13
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, i second that^^.
Only way how cradle can improve iPhone's reception is if it becomes a femtocell, which is not. Now, i cannot say the same about other brands, but i can assure that iPhone's reception and usb port is two different ball parks.
Exactly.

Quote:
MarkG335 Am I being fooled and is BMW telling porky pies?

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...l?proDsId=9125

The signal strength indicator bars go up when using the snap-in so it connects to something.
That description has been the same for donkeys years - it's generic.

As for the signal going up, it's more likely a result of not being in your hand or a case!
      06-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #14
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Exactly.

That description has been the same for donkeys years - it's generic.

As for the signal going up, it's more likely a result of not being in your hand or a case!
You just be right
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 03:59 AM   #15
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335
This is a reasonable theory, but it's contradicted by facts.

If you use the Universal Snap-in Adapter with, say, an iPhone 6, the internal iPhone antenna will wirelessly couple to the adapter antenna and radiate through the car's external "shark fin" antenna.

You may find some manufacturer's details here, on page 11:

http://www.peiker.de/fileadmin/media...t-Internet.pdf

If you wish to numerically appreciate the significant improvement in signal strength while using the adapter, I suggest (on an iPhone) to enable a numeric field strength display as follows:

>To enable the iPhone r/f antenna db display, dial:
*3001#12345#*
You can make it permanent: press the "screen off" button, when "Swipe to shutdown" appears press Home button until screen reappears.<

Please note that the iPhone does not update the field strength display instantaneously - I never understood how often it does so - but three minutes seems to be a reasonable safe readout delay.

To further improve phone communication you can add a separate BMW accessory called "Antenna amplifier" - I installed it with very good results - but I'm not sure it's available in the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #16
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335
This is a reasonable theory, but it's contradicted by facts.

If you use the Universal Snap-in Adapter with, say, an iPhone 6, the internal iPhone antenna will wirelessly couple to the adapter antenna and radiate through the car's external "shark fin" antenna.

You may find some manufacturer's details here, on page 11:

http://www.peiker.de/fileadmin/media...t-Internet.pdf

If you wish to numerically appreciate the significant improvement in signal strength while using the adapter, I suggest (on an iPhone) to enable a numeric field strength display as follows:

>To enable the iPhone r/f antenna db display, dial:
*3001#12345#*
You can make it permanent: press the "screen off" button, when "Swipe to shutdown" appears press Home button until screen reappears.<

Please note that the iPhone does not update the field strength display instantaneously - I never understood how often it does so - but three minutes seems to be a reasonable safe readout delay.

To further improve phone communication you can add a separate BMW accessory called "Antenna amplifier" - I installed it with very good results - but I'm not sure it's available in the US.
Very interesting. You know for a fact the BMW cradles have passive couplers? I've had every cradle up until iPhone 5s and found no improvement at all. The info in the document is still vague since it's quite generic.

What is this booster antenna you mentioned - can you add a link?
      06-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Well, I can speak only for the BMW Universal Snap-in Adapter: being a curious electronic engineer, I disassembled my one and could see the peripheral wireless coupling antenna going through its internal electronics and from there to the car's external antenna connection.

As per the Antenna Amplifier, you can get more details here:

http://mybmw.com.ua/wp-content/uploa.../PIDoc2308.pdf

Again, I can't tell if its available in the US or, if you import one, whether its frequency range is the right one for the US cellular system, but maybe you find somebody who could tell. In Europe it works very well; where I live the highways are full of tunnels and the rate of interrupted phone calls has dropped from frequent to rare.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #18
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll check that out and also throw a sim in my old iPhone 5s to measure differences - I'm in the UK in any case.
      06-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #19
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
@volinder , I may be wrong, but MY16, BMWNA changed the 6NS into with the cradle and without the cradle. I don't remember the exact option code.
I think it was about 200-300USD difference.
Also, keep in mind, even if you have the cradle, the phone adapter is sold separately.
You are correct for USA cars. Its now just the wiring and baseplate. Its complete junk.

Thankfully with idrive 5.0 you no longer need to physically connect the phone with a cable anymore to get things like apps.
Appreciate 0