Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

05-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
DatBlackBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Front plate options? Show n Go

I've noticed a few postings about the crackdown in NYC regarding front plates. Luckily my dealer called and asked if i wanted holes drilled in my front bumper and i immediately said no. However, id like to avoid getting pulled over and since i already have tints i don't need them to have ANOTHER reason/opportunity to ticket or pull me over. THE POINT is i hate the off center look on the tow hook and the option which is most appealing would be the "show n go" license plate frame however I've read people have had issues with it getting ripped off at higher speeds. does anyone have the retractable plate? any feedback? road noise? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBlackBM
I've noticed a few postings about the crackdown in NYC regarding front plates. Luckily my dealer called and asked if i wanted holes drilled in my front bumper and i immediately said no. However, id like to avoid getting pulled over and since i already have tints i don't need them to have ANOTHER reason/opportunity to ticket or pull me over. THE POINT is i hate the off center look on the tow hook and the option which is most appealing would be the "show n go" license plate frame however I've read people have had issues with it getting ripped off at higher speeds. does anyone have the retractable plate? any feedback? road noise? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
I bought one that I will put on my car when I finally get it. I haven't heard of any being ripped off but people seem to be using it successfully.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Had one I bought for my old car that was never installed. I took some measurement on my car a few weeks ago and it hits the rad. behind the grills. Would stick out about an inch. If you rig it to be installed at an angle you can clear it but I didn't want to mess with it. I think the non motorized one is shorter and would fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 03:57 AM   #4
Aaron_N55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Look up one by Mike's Performance. Although I currently have a USM Tow hook bracket, from what I see, the one from Mike's Performance is a simple install and quick removal.
      05-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I don't see a reason for the motorized version. Seems complex for something that is very easy to pull off when needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
DatBlackBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I don't see a reason for the motorized version. Seems complex for something that is very easy to pull off when needed.

i definitley agree regarding the manual one.. my main concern is loosing the vanity plate.. however I'm sure theres an option to strenthen the mounting screws in some way. its just such a shame that front plates are required in nyc
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 03:41 AM   #7
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBlackBM
I have a brand new tho tow hook plate that's still in original packing. If you're interested PM me
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
M3Teg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBlackBM View Post
A Way better option is the "STO N SHO" its very easy to remove and install the plate back takes under 2 seconds. Its very sturdy and has NO plastic unlike the one your talking about. One of my close friends has this and his car is slightly lowered, he hasn't had any issue. iv been running the tow hook for the past year but i hate that it takes me a good 3-4 mins to take off. This takes under 2 seconds. Will be ordering mine Soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
tenMann2
#MPEROR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY BMW M4

I installed the Show n Go this weekend. It does the job of keep the front bumper clean. I did have to drill 3 holes on the bottom of the bumper for mounting. Programmed it to the Homelink as well.
Appreciate 0