BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

04-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV

Arrow Experienced - Help Me Choose a Suspension

Please all, before you just pop in and recommend something,

So my m3 is getting on in miles (60k) and the suspension is starting to feel a bit soft and wobbly. I like a slightly firm ride, and it does not feel the way it did when I bought it.

Simply put, I don't know jack about the m3 suspension so I have a few questions:

1. Do all the coilover kits require the top strut mounts/camber plates?

2. Do all the kits require replacing the sway bar links to a different length?

3. Approximate hours to install? I have done coilovers before, and some were easy, some were a PITA.

Here is what I am wanting out a new coilover kit:

1. Ability to have stock ride height, with minimal adjustments. My car is a DD, and the St Louis city streets are ROUGH. The stock suspension feels like it is taking a beating, although it gives no audible reference of that being true. Also work driveway is fairly steep, and I don't plan on dropping lower than 0.5".

2. Ability to adjust damping. See above, rough streets and potholes. I want to be able to soften the ride easily, but also be able to firm up. I plan on taking the car to some autocross events and working on driving skill, but this will only be a few times a year. I don't want to have to go through a lot of effort to edit the firmness of the ride.

3. Silence. In some of my cheaper kits in the past builds, the top strut mounts were noisy (rattling or clicking), and ride was pretty shoddy no matter the setting. I want a tough, quality kit that can take a beating and ask for more, but not make any clunks, rattles, or otherwise intrusive noises.

4. Good body control and overall "feel" that inspires more confident driving. The stock setup as it is now is allowing more body roll, but is ok at best at handling the rougher areas. My guess is that it cannot react to the changing surfaces quickly enough in the rougher areas of the streets during transitions. The body roll is not terrible, but getting more noticeable in cloverleafs and off ramps.

** After an inspection, it seems as all the suspension parts are healthy. Could be also that I am getting used to the car and am ready to get a bit more out of it.**

So I have been looking at a few setups, and I am considering these:

Bilstein PSS10

KW V3

AST 4100

Price I am looking to stay within is $2.5k ~ $3.2k. Any members who are experienced I would highly appreciate your comments, opinions, and yes, experience with different setups. I would like to stay within this range as I am also looking at upgrading the tires/wheels soon with a set of HRE wheels or an otherwise quality setup.

BTW I should add that my car DOES NOT have EDC.

Ok, let's hear it

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport - Trofeo White Tri Coat - The Daily Driver

Last edited by OnlySoMany; 04-03-2016 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
ats*ben
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I recently got the JRZ RS2 Sports. The touring's would fit your price range and fits ALL of your other requirements. The Touring model allows for stock top mounts. The Sports have Spherical top mounts and I have no NHV out of them. Doesn't require adjustable end links, ect. I promise you won't be disappointed. They ride better than the OEM suspension on the softer settings for the street (pot-holes, speed bumps) but definitely inspire more confidence in spirited driving.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look. Any opinions on the ones I listed?

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Ohlins R&T seem like they're designed for what you want and fall into your price point.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 4
      04-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Ohlins R&T seem like they're designed for what you want and fall into your price point.
Do they work with stock top mounts? How's the ride quality?

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep

Also, if you use the KW V3 with the stock top mounts, is there any risk of noise?

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
ats*ben
Private
Rep

I had KWv3's in my S2000 and then switched over to the JRZ 2-way Motorsport versions. It was a night and day difference between the two. While the KWv3's were better than any other suspension I had run previously; JRZ was just light years ahead. Even street driving on the JRZ Motorsport line (before they changed the name of those specific shocks), ran better on the street than the KWv3's. To me, if I'm already shelling out $2000+ for the KWv3's, I'd spend an extra month saving for the JRZ's. KW's are great coil overs, but they don't translate the road like the JRZ's do. I'm sure if you ask 90% of the vendors on here who have experience with JRZ, they'll tell you the same thing. It's pretty much an Apples vs Oranges difference.

KW's are great, but they just don't have the same engineering (unless you're getting one of KW's Motorsport lines) that JRZ has. With JRZ's they can valve your shocks from 100lb springs to 700lbs, with the KW's you're getting an off the shelf product that's designed to work with the spring rates that they pre-determined.

Comfort and noise wise, it's night and day. KW's ran pretty harsh even on their softest settings for the street. JRZ on the other hand rides better than my OEM suspension on the street and light years better when you go for a spirited drive. If you're in the Bay Area, LMK and I'll give you a ride around in them. I'm sure you'll order them on the spot (you just can't have mine)! 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep

Something like this kit? http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...l-coilover-kit

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #9
ats*ben
Private
Rep

Correct. I bought the Sport Version which has the top mounts. The Touring Version uses the stock top mounts. To be honest, if I did it over again, I would have bought the Touring version with Vorshlag or GC top hats. The JRZ Top Mounts didn't come with any markings for camber (it allows for adding extra camber but you have to take it to an alignment shop to have it done or use string like the racers' do). Even with Spherical top mounts, there's no NHV. They are quite, not sure if the GC or Vorshlag are as quite as the JRZ's though. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think adjustable dampers are not as important and getting set with camber plates especially if you plan to auto-x.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
This is an excellent choice for the OP.

The ability to run a stock height seem very important to him and the Ohlins R&T will get him there. Some of the coilovers have shorter bodies, running at stock height could mean not enough droop travel.

Rebound damping adjustment that can transform a nice DD to a track worthy car.

Ohlins R&T are very well designed and tested. There is zero noise as long as camber plates aren't involved.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #12
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Street car? Your bushing might just need replacing to make the car feel new again. Most coilovers are overkill for a street car.

Ohlins are very composed on the street and perform quite well on the track and in the canyons. It's your money though!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

If you're still looking for some input, we would recommend the JRZ RS2's as well. Let us know if you want pricing and more information on them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 10:36 PM   #14
White horse
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

My friend is highly recommend D2 kit!!!!
He is the top D2 fan!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

I went with the Kw V3, when you buy new you get a lifetime warranty. That is what sold me. I track 4-5 times a summer and they are soften up for daily driving. I did the install myself and it is pretty straight forward. Good luck on your choice.
Appreciate 0