Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #1
imd3nse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Help with JB4 install issues

Ive been running map1 for about a week now since ive gotten it, installed no problem. loads of more power from all across the powerband.

Ive ordered a downpipe since then and started installing the rest of the JB4 sensors so i can run map2 and upwards.

NOTE: i purchased the JB4 from supreme power, about a week ago. this was their last JB4 unit for the S55 and it didnt come with the OBDII CANbus adapter.

Using the old method of tapping the CANbus wires with posi taps, and then plugging in the mass fuel sensor jb4 wire to complete the install. leaving out the EWG JB adapters which is not needed as i understand.

Now, without a BMS DATA cable, how do i switch from the map1 that the JB4 automatically loads to map2. Ive read every possible installation instructions over and over and couldnt not find any mistakes. double and triple checked all connections and the canbus taps to insure proper connection. watched all the videos on map switching over and over and nothing seems to work.

Is it my misunderstanding that i could switch maps without connecting it to a laptop BEFORE the addition of an OBDII CANbus adaptor?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:58 AM   #2
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
You just press and hold down the volume "down" button until you see the DCT light flash on the shift lever or if you see your additional info switch where it says temp/time/mpg etc. when you see the DCT flash, you then press the volume "up" arrow twice to get to map 2. Every time you hold down the volume down button, it resets to map 0 so you have a couple of seconds to change maps until the JB4 locks it in.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:07 AM   #3
imd3nse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
You just press and hold down the volume "down" button until you see the DCT light flash on the shift lever or if you see your additional info switch where it says temp/time/mpg etc. when you see the DCT flash, you then press the volume "up" arrow twice to get to map 2. Every time you hold down the volume down button, it resets to map 0 so you have a couple of seconds to change maps until the JB4 locks it in.
thanks for the reply, but ive done all that.

Hold down [volume -] until DTC shifter blinks - it never blinks, stays solid the entire time.

Hold down the [BC] button on turn signal stock until Dash blinkers or DCT blinks - nothing ever happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #4
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imd3nse
Quote:
thanks for the reply, but ive done all that.

Hold down [volume -] until DTC shifter blinks - it never blinks, stays solid the entire time.

Hold down the [BC] button on turn signal stock until Dash blinkers or DCT blinks - nothing ever happens.
BC button is only if you have the OBD II wires.

The only logical explanation of why nothing is happening is because you either didn't secure the positaps properly, or you tapped the wrong wire(s). That could be the ONLY explanation of why you aren't able to switch maps.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:12 AM   #5
imd3nse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BC button is only if you have the OBD II wires.

The only logical explanation of why nothing is happening is because you either didn't secure the positaps properly, or you tapped the wrong wire(s). That could be the ONLY explanation of why you aren't able to switch maps.
I agree with you on that basis, ive also checked countless times as i cant think of anything else that would be wrong other than the CANbus taps. Redid them a few times and still nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 03:42 AM   #6
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

so if you have a laptop and the BMS USB, install the JB4 software, plug the USB into the laptop and JB4 and "connect". If you don't connect, (red error), it is probably a misconfigured COM port. if you connect you should see the MAP on the far right. I think the shipped default is set to zero.

don't install the posi-taps, email Burger and order the ODB2 option. Just a few dollars. Then update the firmware to the 1.4 ODB2 variation (not 3.13 variation). Then use the BC button.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

You will need the USB cable to activate the code clearing for your downpipes, so I would get that and you will need it to update to the OBD firmware if you get the OBD harness which if you got it recently (last couple of weeks) should be included for free along with the aluminum enclosure.

So I would start with getting the OBD harness and aluminum enclosure (which should be FREE) and then get the USB cable and install the OBD harness and update firmware.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

I recommend getting a usb and see what is going on. Connect it to a laptop, and make sure you have the latest firmware. I personally do not like using those features to change maps. I actually prefer the jb4 Bluetooth connect. It's simple easy to use and you can do it from your phone.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
I recommend getting a usb and see what is going on. Connect it to a laptop, and make sure you have the latest firmware. I personally do not like using those features to change maps. I actually prefer the jb4 Bluetooth connect. It's simple easy to use and you can do it from your phone.
You can't use the JB4 Bluetooth on the F8x until the Rev3 comes out. There's no way to get power for the USB end cos you can't route it thru the glovebox like the E9x.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
You can't use the JB4 Bluetooth on the F8x until the Rev3 comes out. There's no way to get power for the USB end cos you can't route it thru the glovebox like the E9x.
I have been running the jb4 Bluetooth since last year. You are able to run it . I use this more than using my laptop. Yes it does require power but I have it wired in through my armrest
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
imd3nse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
You will need the USB cable to activate the code clearing for your downpipes, so I would get that and you will need it to update to the OBD firmware if you get the OBD harness which if you got it recently (last couple of weeks) should be included for free along with the aluminum enclosure.

So I would start with getting the OBD harness and aluminum enclosure (which should be FREE) and then get the USB cable and install the OBD harness and update firmware.

Mike
Mike, i promise you i purchased it from supreme power not even 2 weeks ago and no it did not come with the OBDII canbus harness wire. Also the unit i purchased from them look used but that might be subjective. My unit came with no posi taps and the plastic jb4 enclosure was a bit scratched up. if this is not how they are packaged, could they have sold me a used / faully JB4 unit?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imd3nse View Post
Mike, i promise you i purchased it from supreme power not even 2 weeks ago and no it did not come with the OBDII canbus harness wire. Also the unit i purchased from them look used but that might be subjective. My unit came with no posi taps and the plastic jb4 enclosure was a bit scratched up. if this is not how they are packaged, could they have sold me a used / faully JB4 unit?
I have a few leftover stock of JB4 cables, give me a call and you can have one tomorrow. Or drop by and pick one up today.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imd3nse View Post
You'll have to get with them as something is not right. If yiou got it in that time frame it should not of been in a plastic box but an aluminum enclosure. If it doesn't have POSI-TAPS or a CANbus cable then how is it connected to the CANbus? You'd need the right firmware to match the CANbus connection type. In any event it sounds like you need tech support more than forum support and you need to get in touch with your vendor to get you the right pieces.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
imd3nse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
You'll have to get with them as something is not right. If yiou got it in that time frame it should not of been in a plastic box but an aluminum enclosure. If it doesn't have POSI-TAPS or a CANbus cable then how is it connected to the CANbus? You'd need the right firmware to match the CANbus connection type. In any event it sounds like you need tech support more than forum support and you need to get in touch with your vendor to get you the right pieces.

Mike
Mike, i purchased my own taps from a local auto store to tap the canbus wires.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #15
imd3nse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I have a few leftover stock of JB4 cables, give me a call and you can have one tomorrow. Or drop by and pick one up today.
Tom thank you for the offer, ive already went ahead and ordered the cables late last night hoping that will shed some more light and or solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #16
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 built july 1...........

Like I said before, Mustangs are called "heart breaker" dynos. Why people can't understand that they just read different than more generous dynojets doesnt make sense to me. My evo X made 290hp on a mustang then 340 on a dynojet with same mods. If anything I'd feel wrong about seeing some stupid inflated numbers like dinan got.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #17
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticor View Post
Like I said before, Mustangs are called "heart breaker" dynos. Why people can't understand that they just read different than more generous dynojets doesnt make sense to me. My evo X made 290hp on a mustang then 340 on a dynojet with same mods. If anything I'd feel wrong about seeing some stupid inflated numbers like dinan got.
U sure you got the right thread lol
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Hey guys, it seems like I have the same problem with the OP. I connected every cable coming from JB4 to the correct places and I have a connect kit rev3. I connect to JB4 and it seems working fine. However, when I want to use the OBDII can flap module and press the BC button for a while nothing happens. Do you have any idea what can be wrong ? Unlike the DIY video for JB4 mine came with a connector at the end of the OBDII cable(maybe everybody's cable came the same way) and I connected these two cables through the connector's instead of twisting the cables to each other and using the wire nut, I'm guessing this may be the problem..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #19
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G83 M4

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOZKAN View Post
Hey guys, it seems like I have the same problem with the OP. I connected every cable coming from JB4 to the correct places and I have a connect kit rev3. I connect to JB4 and it seems working fine. However, when I want to use the OBDII can flap module and press the BC button for a while nothing happens. Do you have any idea what can be wrong ? Unlike the DIY video for JB4 mine came with a connector at the end of the OBDII cable(maybe everybody's cable came the same way) and I connected these two cables through the connector's instead of twisting the cables to each other and using the wire nut, I'm guessing this may be the problem..
Check your molex connector to your USB. I had an initial issue and it was the molex connector. It probably looks like the attached picture with four "pins" on the connector. Only 2 of those pins on each side actually have wires going to them. My case was I initially didn't have the connector arranged properly to form a connection between both wires. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #20
Pennzoil
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imd3nse
Ive been running map1 for about a week now since ive gotten it, installed no problem. loads of more power from all across the powerband.

Ive ordered a downpipe since then and started installing the rest of the JB4 sensors so i can run map2 and upwards.

NOTE: i purchased the JB4 from supreme power, about a week ago. this was their last JB4 unit for the S55 and it didnt come with the OBDII CANbus adapter.

Using the old method of tapping the CANbus wires with posi taps, and then plugging in the mass fuel sensor jb4 wire to complete the install. leaving out the EWG JB adapters which is not needed as i understand.

Now, without a BMS DATA cable, how do i switch from the map1 that the JB4 automatically loads to map2. Ive read every possible installation instructions over and over and couldnt not find any mistakes. double and triple checked all connections and the canbus taps to insure proper connection. watched all the videos on map switching over and over and nothing seems to work.

Is it my misunderstanding that i could switch maps without connecting it to a laptop BEFORE the addition of an OBDII CANbus adaptor?
Check the canbus taps are they turned over?
Coz only one side have pin to get through the canbus wire , second make sure your are using correct firmware , not obd fireware ....

Btw , you can use obd function without purchasing obd2 plug ... You can see the picture below
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #21
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

One final question, I can log the car's below data, however I can't do anything by holding the BC button, don't you think it's strange ? I mean if the connection wasn't right, I shouldn't be able to log AFR, throttle etc.?

Stage2 adds CAN bus access and related features including:
1) Detailed data logging including air/fuel ratios, ignition advance, throttle position, and several
others.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #22
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOZKAN View Post
One final question, I can log the car's below data, however I can't do anything by holding the BC button, don't you think it's strange ? I mean if the connection wasn't right, I shouldn't be able to log AFR, throttle etc.?

Stage2 adds CAN bus access and related features including:
1) Detailed data logging including air/fuel ratios, ignition advance, throttle position, and several
others.
Are you running the new OBD firmware?

Mike
Appreciate 0