proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

MPE or AWE?? Can't decide!!

I know there are other threads about this, but I wanted to start my own.

Currently, I have an M4 with dinan tune, all CF m perf parts except I have the CF RKP rear diffuser.

I have done every mod out there except DP and exhaust. I am going to keep my stock DPs, so here is my dilemma.

I do not like the raspy sound AT ALL. I love the throaty sound of a V8, and I've heard AWE is the closest thing to it. I also love the look of the MPE CF tips and think it would match by diffuser very well. Need help!

Options:

1. MPE exhaust with CF tips

2. AWE exhaust (non res or res)

Can someone describe the main difference between res and non res? How would it sound different? Are both systems full catback? Thanks!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

non res is raspier both are full cat back. Res deletes secondary cats but has resonators. Non-res deletes both secondary cats and resonators. If you don't like rasp, go with AWE resonated.

MPE sounds super awesome, but it is raspy... which I personally love. It think it's what makes MPE sound exotic.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
non res is raspier both are full cat back. Res deletes secondary cats but has resonators. Non-res deletes both secondary cats and resonators. If you don't like rasp, go with AWE resonated.

MPE sounds super awesome, but it is raspy... which I personally love. It think it's what makes MPE sound exotic.
So if I'm keeping my stock DPs I would get non res? Which one is louder between res and non res? When you say "deletes" secondary cats you mean it has straight pipe that replaces the secondary cats but keeps the primary?

I wish I could hear the MPE in person. I heard awe and loved it but can't decide if I like the look.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

MPE rasp when the car is cold, but sounds great once it's warm. Rasp is louder when you have DPs. MPE would be 20lbs lighter than AWE.

AWE res if you have DPs and non-res if you don't have DPs. AWE would be deeper and throatier compared to MPE, least amount of rasp and nearly no drone.

Since you have Dinan, you are warranty conscious so DPs isn't an option you would consider. There isn't a DP out there that is warranty safe. AWE non-res with stock DPs would sound much better than MPE with stock DPs.

Hope that helps.
      06-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9
I know there are other threads about this, but I wanted to start my own.

Currently, I have an M4 with dinan tune, all CF m perf parts except I have the CF RKP rear diffuser.

I have done every mod out there except DP and exhaust. I am going to keep my stock DPs, so here is my dilemma.

I do not like the raspy sound AT ALL. I love the throaty sound of a V8, and I've heard AWE is the closest thing to it. I also love the look of the MPE CF tips and think it would match by diffuser very well. Need help!

Options:

1. MPE exhaust with CF tips

2. AWE exhaust (non res or res)

Can someone describe the main difference between res and non res? How would it sound different? Are both systems full catback? Thanks!
Awe is deeper than mpe.

Personal preference is dp with non res for awe. Some people go with no dp and non res. All personal preference. I heard the dp with non res first and wanted deeper. Non res for me hits the spot. All boils down to personal preference. I know there is a comparison video around here somewhere
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
So if I'm keeping my stock DPs I would get non res? Which one is louder between res and non res? When you say "deletes" secondary cats you mean it has straight pipe that replaces the secondary cats but keeps the primary?

I wish I could hear the MPE in person. I heard awe and loved it but can't decide if I like the look.
non res will always be raspier than res regardless of whether you keep the stock DPs or not. Non res with DPs will definitely be loud and raspier.

Yes, there are 2 sets of cats in the car. The primary cats which have sensors hooked up to them. When people buy DPs, they are replacing their primary cats with the DPs. Because primary cats have sensors, when you replace them with DPs, it triggers a code/warning on the dash (can be cleared with other devices).

Then, there are secondary cats which are bolted on right after the primary cats. There are no sensors attached to these secondary cats. So, when they are removed and replaced with a straight pipe, no codes are thrown.

Then, after the secondary cats are resonators. Stock, the car comes with primary cats, secondary cats and resonators. MPE keeps the stock primary and secondary cats, but deletes the resonators. Because there are no bolts between the secondary cats and mufflers, on the MPE, you have to cut the stock exhaust pipe right after the secondary cats to install it. AWE is a bolt on exhaust that bolts on right after the primary cats. No cutting required. There are 2 versions - resonated and non-res. Both versions replace the secondary cats with straight pipes, but on the resonated version, AWE installs their own non-OEM resonators to tame down a bit of the rasp and is also somewhat quieter than non-resonated AWE.

Personally, while AWE sounded great, I went with Remus because I preferred the tip options available on Remus. Remus is very similar to non-resonated AWE in that it is also a full cat back exhaust that replaces both the secondary cats and resonators with straight pipes. I believe AWE is deeper and has larger diameter piping than Remus.
Appreciate 4
      06-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post

non res will always be raspier than res regardless of whether you keep the stock DPs or not. Non res with DPs will definitely be loud and raspier.

Yes, there are 2 sets of cats in the car. The primary cats which have sensors hooked up to them. When people buy DPs, they are replacing their primary cats with the DPs. Because primary cats have sensors, when you replace them with DPs, it triggers a code/warning on the dash (can be cleared with other devices).

Then, there are secondary cats which are bolted on right after the primary cats. There are no sensors attached to these secondary cats. So, when they are removed and replaced with a straight pipe, no codes are thrown.

Then, after the secondary cats are resonators. Stock, the car comes with primary cats, secondary cats and resonators. MPE keeps the stock primary and secondary cats, but deletes the resonators. AWE is a bolt on exhaust that bolts on right after the primary cats. There are 2 versions - resonated and non-res. Both versions replace the secondary cats with straight pipes, but on the resonated version, AWE installs their own non-OEM resonators to tame down a bit of the rasp and is also somewhat quieter than non-resonated AWE.
Wow thanks! That was extremely helpful. I've heard non res was much more throaty on awe from most people?

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

ok so I Finally heard the MPE this weekend, actually heard it twice. and wow that exhaust note is awesome! I loved it.

I have also heard AWE (both set ups) and it sounded fantastic as well.

all three options are great IMO. The only thing I see is the tips on the MPE are pretty awesome and its from BMW direct.

but other then that it would be a tough choice. Win either way!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
ok so I Finally heard the MPE this weekend, actually heard it twice. and wow that exhaust note is awesome! I loved it.

all three options are great IMO. The only thing I see is the tips on the MPE are pretty awesome and its from BMW direct.

Could you comment on loudness and tone between the MPE and AWE?
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Could you comment on loudness and tone between the MPE and AWE?
Everyone hears different but they both seemed to be deeper then stock obv however the awe to me seemed to be louder and leaning more towards the higher pitch sound where the mpe seemed to be a touch deeper.

I must say though I really liked the mpe. After hearing it!

Also I must say the mpe I was able to hear driving where the two awe set ups I heard at bimmerfest so they were just revs so not a true comparison

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #11
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

MPE !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #12
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Everyone hears different but they both seemed to be deeper then stock obv however the awe to me seemed to be louder and leaning more towards the higher pitch sound where the mpe seemed to be a touch deeper.

Also I must say the mpe I was able to hear driving where the two awe set ups I heard at bimmerfest so they were just revs so not a true comparison
100% agree, BMW has a winner with the M Performance exhaust. Sounded even better with valves opened up.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #13
Josh/AWE
Rep

Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Thank you for calling in to chat! As we discussed, Resonated will have a more reserved, deeper tone. Non-Resonated will be more aggressive, sharper, and louder.

Here is a great video of the Non-Resonated system in action, filmed with a professional quality mic.

If anyone ever has questions about which SwitchPath system may be right for you, just shoot me a message and I'd be happy to advise.
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Quote:

100% agree, BMW has a winner with the M Performance exhaust. Sounded even better with valves opened up.
Interesting! I felt like the awe sounded more throaty.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer both, but i like the AWE one better.
If you do not mind waiting 3-4 weeks for the build time, i would get the AWE.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #16
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

I would go with AWE res if you plan on getting DPs.

Is there anyway to get rid of the "fart" noise, that I believer occurs while shifting or at higher RPMs and letting off the gas (no pun intended)?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra

Is there anyway to get rid of the "fart" noise, that I believer occurs while shifting or at higher RPMs and letting off the gas (no pun intended)?
No plan to get DPs at any point.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #18
MasterC17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

AWE in my opinion.
      06-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #19
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:

How is it possible YOU, of all people, have not heard the MPE until now??

How was it driving in the car?

And how would you say it compares to your Eisenmann?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #20
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

MPE sounds more exotic to me and the tip design is better.
      06-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #21
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post

This can be done via flash tune.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post

Then, after the secondary cats are resonators. Stock, the car comes with primary cats, secondary cats and resonators. MPE keeps the stock primary and secondary cats, but deletes the resonators. Because there are no bolts between the secondary cats and mufflers, on the MPE, you have to cut the stock exhaust pipe right after the secondary cats to install it. AWE is a bolt on exhaust that bolts on right after the primary cats. No cutting required. There are 2 versions - resonated and non-res. Both versions replace the secondary cats with straight pipes, but on the resonated version, AWE installs their own non-OEM resonators to tame down a bit of the rasp and is also somewhat quieter than non-resonated AWE.

Personally, while AWE sounded great, I went with Remus because I preferred the tip options available on Remus. Remus is very similar to non-resonated AWE in that it is also a full cat back exhaust that replaces both the secondary cats and resonators with straight pipes. I believe AWE is deeper and has larger diameter piping than Remus.
Do either of these systems "smell"? I've read that with aftermarket downpipes you can get a fuel smell or something. Does one have more of this? I'd assume possibly the AWE if it's getting rid of more of the cats?