Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Question adding a Tune.... for a Lease ??

Can I tune a Leased M4 without much flak from the dealer?

What about something like a Dinan tune??

or would JB4 be fine??

Love my //M and it is pretty powerful but I feel as though I have gotten way to comfortable with the amount of power and find myself wanting more..

Would love to do a Tune but don't want some type of "voided" warranty on my lease ..

Not really sure how this works.. this is the first time ive leased a car.. all others were a purchase.

Thanks for your help..

Also if you have a Tune on your leased M.. please chime in with what you have .. any service complaints or if you have to remove the tune before service ... etc

THANKS
      06-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
Can I tune a Leased M4 without much flak from the dealer?

What about something like a Dinan tune??

or would JB4 be fine??

Love my //M and it is pretty powerful but I feel as though I have gotten way to comfortable with the amount of power and find myself wanting more..

Would love to do a Tune but don't want some type of "voided" warranty on my lease ..

Not really sure how this works.. this is the first time ive leased a car.. all others were a purchase.

Thanks for your help..

Also if you have a Tune on your leased M.. please chime in with what you have .. any service complaints or if you have to remove the tune before service ... etc

THANKS

I'm on the same boat, have a leased M3 and already getting used to the power and want more with a tune. My car only has like 375 miles on it to date.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

yolo
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKERS333 View Post
I'm on the same boat, have a leased M3 and already getting used to the power and want more with a tune. My car only has like 375 miles on it to date.
I'm at 385 miles and I'm feeling the same way lol. I'm starting to REALLY notice the turbo lag. The DCT I drove didn't have any but the 6MT I have definitely does.

OP, just do it. It can't hurt. Just don't be a dick to your service advisor and everything will be okay. Just be upfront about everything on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
I'm at 385 miles and I'm feeling the same way lol. I'm starting to REALLY notice the turbo lag. The DCT I drove didn't have any but the 6MT I have definitely does.

OP, just do it. It can't hurt. Just don't be a dick to your service advisor and everything will be okay. Just be upfront about everything on the car.
I have the DCT and I still feel the turbo lag intermittently, usually in the lower gears.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schybrid View Post
yolo
lol.. awesome advice..

Maybe I should have just pulled the trigger on a McLaren 650s.

you know b/c YOLO

Seriously though at 2,300 miles now and just craving a little more power and tq that I feel like is still missing.

just looking for some helpful feedback
      06-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

I have tuned my last two leased BMW's with Dinan installed at BMW dealer. You can always return to stock at lease-end. I have never had an issue with any dealers servicing my car with the tune either and they know about it as well. Hope that helps a little.
      06-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
filetitan
VANOS!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3 SG

Mine is leased and I am running JB4 - AWE exhaust - DPs - etc.. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
I have tuned my last two leased BMW's with Dinan installed at BMW dealer. You can always return to stock at lease-end. I have never had an issue with any dealers servicing my car with the tune either and they know about it as well. Hope that helps a little.
That does help... Much appreciated..

You obviously have liked your past dinan tunes.. would you stick with them with an F8X as well?

any issues selling a Dinan Tune vs selling a JB4?

just seems like Dinan at one time use to be all the rage and now JB4 seems to be the most well known tune.. My biggest concern is more noticeable power that the dealer wont give me hell about..

but wondering what the market is like for dinan tune on resale?

may just have to find out

gotta do some searching on the power differences etc for Dinan vs the other tunes..
      06-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

JB4 will provide more power. I have never resold the Dinan tunes however the ones for the N55 engine were ECU flashes which is not the case with the F8x models. So, not sure how that would work. I am pretty sure the Dinan warranty is not transferable but you may want to check on that. The reason I got Dinan over JB4 on the N55 was because it was ECU flash and the power delivery was very smooth and gains were substantial. The Dinan tunes are good for the F8x but not as big of an increase as for the N55.
      06-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by filetitan View Post
Mine is leased and I am running JB4 - AWE exhaust - DPs - etc.. lol
      06-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #12
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

Man, in sports plus I don't feel any lag on my car and I have a 6mt. The car feels plenty fast, so much so that my JB4 has been sitting in the original shipping package in the garage awaiting for me to install it one day. My n54 335 had turbo lag, I had a JB4 with upgraded intercooler and running about 30% E85 and that car was fast. But my M3 puts it to shame with how it pulls hard all the way to red line in such a hurry. I'm waiting for obd2 cables to arrive so I can hook up the JB4, but honestly I don't feel this car lacks in power at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #13
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I have a tuned M3 and leased and dealer know all about it. They actually ask what new stuff I have done whenever I talk to them.

Mike
Appreciate 2
nathanm4683.00
      06-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
That does help... Much appreciated..

You obviously have liked your past dinan tunes.. would you stick with them with an F8X as well?

any issues selling a Dinan Tune vs selling a JB4?

just seems like Dinan at one time use to be all the rage and now JB4 seems to be the most well known tune.. My biggest concern is more noticeable power that the dealer wont give me hell about..

but wondering what the market is like for dinan tune on resale?

may just have to find out

gotta do some searching on the power differences etc for Dinan vs the other tunes..
JB4 is the most popular primarily since it's the cheapest. Dinan does have a great warranty program included with their piggyback.

Or go with a flash tune and have the best of both worlds - increased power while retaining a fully stock-appearing engine bay.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

It depends on the dealership. There are some that flag springs, and some dealerships that don't care about going full catless with a tune etc. You just have to know someone at your local service center.

I would not do any flash tune... YET. Drilling into the ECU will void your warranty. If you want to do a flash tune wait until the OBD2 programs get released.

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Some people will probably get mad at me for this reply but oh well. I am not saying this is going to happen but there is always a chance. I will also state, I am all for modding cars. I am just putting it into perspective from both sides of the fence.

Adding an aftermarket tune there is always a risk. Regardless of which safeguards are built in or how good the tune is, or how proven it is. You will find dealers that do not mind or may look the other way.... But IF something does happen, something major on the car breaks, you do run a chance of having issues with warranty. BMW is not stupid...... Even if you remove the tune and clear the computer, they know. Chances are you will be OK. But you have to be able to accept the fact that if a failure occurs because of the tune(and its proven) you are on the hook for it if BMW denies fixing your car.

That decision is up to the dealers and BMWs discretion, NOT forum members.

You just always need to keep that in the back of your mind.

Its like, we all speed from time to time. More than others possibly. You know you are speeding and breaking the law. If and when you get caught you can't be mad at the cop for writing you a ticket. You just gotta suck it up and foot the bill!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #17
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darge82 View Post
Some people will probably get mad at me for this reply but oh well. I am not saying this is going to happen but there is always a chance. I will also state, I am all for modding cars. I am just putting it into perspective from both sides of the fence.

Adding an aftermarket tune there is always a risk. Regardless of which safeguards are built in or how good the tune is, or how proven it is. You will find dealers that do not mind or may look the other way.... But IF something does happen, something major on the car breaks, you do run a chance of having issues with warranty. BMW is not stupid...... Even if you remove the tune and clear the computer, they know. Chances are you will be OK. But you have to be able to accept the fact that if a failure occurs because of the tune(and its proven) you are on the hook for it if BMW denies fixing your car.

That decision is up to the dealers and BMWs discretion, NOT forum members.
Well put, every situation is different and most owners will be perfectly fine. Dealers are not on the hunt to void warranties at any given opportunity, as this would simply alienate future customers.

Going will proven, well established companies will ensure many miles of reliability and added enjoyment.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #18
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Well put, every situation is different and most owners will be perfectly fine. Dealers are not on the hunt to void warranties at any given opportunity, as this would simply alienate future customers.

Going will proven, well established companies will ensure many miles of reliability and added enjoyment.
Exactly, most will be perfectly fine and most dealers are not looking to hunt to void warranties. But there are some that will flag cars for certain mods. There is always that slight chance.

But if you come into the dealer with a hole in a piston. That's when they start the investigating, BMW gets involved and that is where it can get ugly. If its for a check engine light and a mass air meter or injector is bad. No problem. Its the BIG stuff that raises an eyebrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #19
HuanLeBrown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 SPY Xdrive M4 Comp

You'll be fine with a stage 1 bolt on tune. I sold my BMS Stage1 when I tried the aFe Scorcher, noticeable power increase and no problems with warranty...just 2 cables to unplug for service and that's it
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:40 AM   #20
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
JB4 is the most popular primarily since it's the cheapest.
These are $70K+ cars. Do you honestly believe a few hundred dollars is the deciding factor for most who are in the market for a tune? You do realize that the same people who spend $10K on wheels or $6K on an exhaust system get the JB4, right? LOL, yeah...it must be because it's the cheapest.

If every single tuning option was priced the same, the JB4 would still be the market leader because it is more advanced and provides more options than other platforms out there. Please don't fool yourself, regardless if you believe it after repeating it to yourself time after time.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:38 AM   #21
Sid3waze
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' e63, 08 m3 Vf 620

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Mercedes E63s  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
These are $70K+ cars. Do you honestly believe a few hundred dollars is the deciding factor for most who are in the market for a tune? You do realize that the same people who spend $10K on wheels or $6K on an exhaust system get the JB4, right? LOL, yeah...it must be because it's the cheapest.

If every single tuning option was priced the same, the JB4 would still be the market leader because it is more advanced and provides more options than other platforms out there. Please don't fool yourself, regardless if you believe it after repeating it to yourself time after time.
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #22
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
whatever you get, get plug and play, so you can easily remove it if your dealer is strict as well as resell after your lease is up

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0