GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

MPE + DP or DP + Valve Mod

Very simple question that I have been mulling over and I wanted to get the thoughts of some with either/or both or a little of each.

As the title states is going with the MPE exhaust plus catless downpipes really worth the extra money on a lease or money to buy the exhaust?

OR

Keep the stock exhaust and add the catless downpipes with the valve mod.

Leaving the aesthetic differences aside stock vs mpe is it really worth it? Does the MPE with a DP really sound worlds different than stock with all valves open?

I know personally on my n54 I did coated catless Dp’s and kept the stock cans and the sound and responsiveness was amazing. I didn’t feel it would have changed much if I changed anything beyond that in terms of performance and sound all that much.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@BaLLzZz , IMO, MPE is overrated.
I personally would do catless downpipe first and see if it comes out good. Either way, you wanted the catless downpipe in both thoughts.
I think the M3/M4 stock muffler is sounded pretty good already.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

^seconded

other than maybe additional install time / schlepping back to the shop twice, you don't lose anything by trying the DPs + stock first. then, adding the MPE if it's not aggressive enough.

edit: i saw you are trying to residualize the MPE.
It may make sense to do the MPE now, minus the catless DPs. You may like the tone, and not get into warranty and emissions issues.

I'd recommend the Macht Schnell EVC for CEL suppression and valve control.

I am thinking about DPs + stock exhaust OR aftermarket cat-back exhaust only. Catless DPs + aftermarket exhaust would piss off my neighbors way too much when I leave for work in the early morning.
      05-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I personally would do catless downpipe first and see if it comes out good. Either way, you wanted the catless downpipe in both thoughts.
My thoughts exactly BUT the only issue I’m having is if leased it can be residulized and basically half price, so I won’t have the luxury of installing the catless DP's and then making my decision unless I want to pay full price and install after. I do think the carbon tips are cool and would complete the overall look but I don’t know if the cans will make a huge difference in the sound/performance department.

I know with certainty that the DP's will be amazing regardless.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude
^seconded

other than maybe additional install time / schlepping back to the shop twice, you don't lose anything by trying the DPs + stock first. then, adding the MPE if it's not aggressive enough.

edit: i saw you are trying to residualize the MPE.
It may make sense to do the MPE now, minus the catless DPs. You may like the tone, and not get into warranty and emissions issues.

I'd recommend the Macht Schnell EVC for CEL suppression and valve control.

I am thinking about DPs + stock exhaust OR aftermarket cat-back exhaust only. Catless DPs + aftermarket exhaust would piss off my neighbors way too much when I leave for work in the early morning.
if u go DP and aftermarket exhaust, couldn't u still use EVC to control valve?
      05-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

MPE is very subtle w/o DPs. The MPE owners now starting to report rasp sounds, which is no bueno on my book. Search "F80 MPE rasp" and you'll figure out for yourself.

I'm an extremely conscious buyer. I read hundreds of threads, PM people for more feedback, and talk to the company's rep before making a decision. I work my ass off for my cash, I don't just spend it on a "trendy" item that everyone and their mom got because it's cool. I like quality, I like fair price, and I have to like the company I'm doing business with. For exhaust, AWE is on top of my list and will pull the trigger on it very soon.

If you're looking for high quality exhaust with great sound and don't want mess with DPs, check out AWE non-resonated exhaust. The AWE system is guaranteed not to rasp/drone. The sound is "intoxicating" said their customers and I would have to agree after listening to dozen of vid with Bose headphones. Pair that with 102mm tips, it is unmistakable that you have a nice exhaust system.

I personally PM'ed most of the AWE customers, everyone's feedback is consistent my expectations.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-bmw-f8...chpath-exhaust
      05-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
My thoughts exactly BUT the only issue Im having is if leased it can be residulized and basically half price, so I wont have the luxury of installing the catless DP's and then making my decision unless I want to pay full price and install after. I do think the carbon tips are cool and would complete the overall look but I dont know if the cans will make a huge difference in the sound/performance department.

I know with certainty that the DP's will be amazing regardless.
In that case do more research on the MPE.
I personally not a big fan of MPE since it is supposed to be included with the car originally.
But, if you want to residual it, then getting it with the car is the best option.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
For exhaust, AWE is on top of my list and will pull the trigger on it very soon.

If you're looking for high quality exhaust with great sound and don't want mess with DPs, check out AWE non-resonated exhaust. The AWE system is guaranteed not to rasp/drone. The sound is "intoxicating" said their customers and I would have to agree after listening to dozen of vid with Bose headphones. Pair that with 102mm tips, it is unmistakable that you have a nice exhaust system.

I personally PM'ed most of the AWE customers, everyone's feedback is consistent my expectations.
You think the AWE resonated with Stock/Catted DPs would be too muted?

In my S4, both the resonated and non-resonated exhaust droned with stock DPs. just less so with the resonated.
      05-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post

In my S4, both the resonated and non-resonated exhaust droned with stock DPs. just less so with the resonated.
Here's what AWE and their customers recommend for drone free operation:
- DP = resonated
- non-DP = non-resonated

I wouldn't say resonated is muted, it's still louder than MPE. I don't plan on DPs, so non-resonated would be my best option. Intake / Tune / Exhaust is plenty of reliable power for track/street driving. Our stock is 480hp crank, those mods should put me over the 550hp crank mark.

I don't drag race, so having 600hp doesn't do anything for me other than going through tires quicker. Plus, O2 sensors failing with DPs isn't appealing.
      05-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:

- DP = resonated
- non-DP = non-resonated

I wouldn't say resonated is muted, it's still louder than MPE. I don't plan on DPs, so non-resonated would be my best option. Intake / Tune / Exhaust is plenty of reliable power for track/street driving. Our stock is 480hp crank, those mods should put me over the 550hp crank mark.

I don't drag race, so having 600hp doesn't do anything for me other than going through tires quicker. Plus, O2 sensors burning up with DPs isn't appealing.
"O2 sensors burning up"....explain that one
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
theriz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
2011 335i M-Sport  [4.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:

- DP = resonated
- non-DP = non-resonated

I don't drag race, so having 600hp doesn't do anything for me other than going through tires quicker. Plus, O2 sensors burning up with DPs isn't appealing.
"O2 sensors burning up"....explain that one
I chuckled a little...
      05-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #12
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I corrected my word choice. O2 sensors don't burn, silly me.
A couple members reported faulty O2 sensors after the DPs install. I'm still monitoring the threads to understand the cause. If DPs is the direct correlation, it's too much hassle for what it's worth.

Anyone who had Catless DPs for over 50k miles on the N54 feel free to jump in.
      05-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I corrected my word choice. O2 sensors don't burn, silly me.
A couple members reported faulty O2 sensors after the DPs install. I'm still monitoring the threads to understand the cause. If DPs is the direct correlation, it's too much hassle for what it's worth.

Anyone who had Catless DPs for over 50k miles on the N54 feel free to jump in.
I had them for 35k+ with no issues. Regardless the original point of the thread is somewhat lost.

I want to and will get Catless Coated DP's with or without anything beyond that section of the exhaust. My original question was on this s55 motor is there more value based potential in the way of sound, performance, and aesthetic looks going with MPE.

When I had the n54 I didn’t see ANY value in changing anything out beyond the Catless DP's. The sound was minimally different(already had golf tee). The performance was nill. The aesthetics were subjective.

Currently I feel the same way with two minor hiccups. If I lease the cost of the MPE will be more than half. Secondly the carbon tips will really add to the overall look I will be going for with the vehicle. Other than those two points I see no other added value and I was trying to see if any member could possibly change that.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #14
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

i am in the same book

from what others have said is that downpipes with stock exhaust sounds great, it also has the advantage of the nice power gain compared to no gain with the MPE
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #15
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

FWIW, I have catted AW DPs with stock exhaust and flap control that can switch between OPEN and OEM control.

It's perfect for me. Being able to run the range from mellow to howling is awesome. The performance is clearly improved. The car feels "unshackled."

And, in full open, it sounds really really good. WAY better than stock.

And DPs are so much cheaper than full exhaust systems.

Couldn't be more satisfied with the whole deal.
      05-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #16
M3ANS55
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
I had them for 35k+ with no issues. Regardless the original point of the thread is somewhat lost.

I want to and will get Catless Coated DP's with or without anything beyond that section of the exhaust. My original question was on this s55 motor is there more value based potential in the way of sound, performance, and aesthetic looks going with MPE.

When I had the n54 I didn’t see ANY value in changing anything out beyond the Catless DP's. The sound was minimally different(already had golf tee). The performance was nill. The aesthetics were subjective.

Currently I feel the same way with two minor hiccups. If I lease the cost of the MPE will be more than half. Secondly the carbon tips will really add to the overall look I will be going for with the vehicle. Other than those two points I see no other added value and I was trying to see if any member could possibly change that.
I have downpipes on a stock exhaust right now and is much louder at Wot then stock. I've also heard just MPE without downpipes and is a much different sound then stock. MPE plus downpipes I would imagine have a much more exotic sound but also very loud.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANS55 View Post
I have downpipes on a stock exhaust right now and is much louder at Wot then stock. I've also heard just MPE without downpipes and is a much different sound then stock. MPE plus downpipes I would imagine have a much more exotic sound but also very loud.
How do you like your catless dp's with oem cans? Sounds great right? I honestly think the only reason I would do MPE is for the aesthetic look of the pipes compared to stock otherwise I can’t justify the cost.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #18
M3ANS55
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
How do you like your catless dp's with oem cans? Sounds great right? I honestly think the only reason I would do MPE is for the aesthetic look of the pipes compared to stock otherwise I can’t justify the cost.
I love them my setup with just catless downpipes, then again if I got the power I do from this setup with just the MPE I would have gone that route
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #19
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

I have the MPE. I don't know what stock sounded like because I had them put it on before I picked up the car. I don't have DPs (yet). If you are looking for HP from exhaust mods, go catless. An after-cat exhaust won't do much if any increase.

My MPE isn't broken in yet (allegedly) but I just took it on a 700 mile road trip (had 72 miles on the car when I started). absolutely no drone, it was quiet until I put it S+/S/S mode. I didn't take it past 5500rpm or 105mph as BMW suggests but under those limits, it sounds great. In the AM when it is cold, it sounds like an angry baby at 4k rpm.

If you are leasing the car, I'd just get DPs. depending on miles and condition you might be able to sell them in 3 years when your lease is up. My MPE looks great and I think it's great and I did look into AWE etc. and that sounds great too but in the end I went with the MPE. I also bought my car, not leased as I plan to have it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #20
//Maniac
Enzo Tuned ECU
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 6MT

Catless DP's open you up to a whole new world of mods and gains. I love the way mine sounds as well. I am all for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
MPE is very subtle w/o DPs. The MPE owners now starting to report rasp sounds, which is no bueno on my book. Search "F80 MPE rasp" and you'll figure out for yourself.

I'm an extremely conscious buyer. I read hundreds of threads, PM people for more feedback, and talk to the company's rep before making a decision. I work my ass off for my cash, I don't just spend it on a "trendy" item that everyone and their mom got because it's cool. I like quality, I like fair price, and I have to like the company I'm doing business with. For exhaust, AWE is on top of my list and will pull the trigger on it very soon.

MPE is definitely not subtle. In fact I believe most say it's more aggressive than AWE resonated system without downpipes. With downpipes MPE is frakin' loud. Just like the OEM exhaust it greatly benefits from valve control but it does not sound the same as the stock exhaust open vs open.

As far as the 'rasp' in that thread read all the way through it. Likely a clamp that was positioned too close to something during install. WOT it has a little rasp but I think that's expected and sounds good on the i6. Also doesn't the non-resonated AWE actually promote rasp?

One place AWE cannot compete is the exhaust tips. I would rate MPE a 9/10 and Akra a 10/10. A big step ahead of everything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #22
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
MPE is definitely not subtle. In fact I believe most say it's more aggressive than AWE resonated system without downpipes. With downpipes MPE is frakin' loud. Just like the OEM exhaust it greatly benefits from valve control but it does not sound the same as the stock exhaust open vs open.

As far as the 'rasp' in that thread read all the way through it. Likely a clamp that was positioned too close to something during install. WOT it has a little rasp but I think that's expected and sounds good on the i6. Also doesn't the non-resonated AWE actually promote rasp?

One place AWE cannot compete is the exhaust tips. I would rate MPE a 9/10 and Akra a 10/10. A big step ahead of everything else.
I believe you are comparing MPE w/o DPs vs AWE resonated w/o DPs. If you compare MPE w/o DPs vs AWE non-resonated w/o DPs, it's not even a competition of which system sounds better. (AWE wins)

AWE guarantees no drone or rasp, I PM'd a few of their customers to confirm that there's no drone or rasp. Non-resonated allows higher frequency sound, which is great for cars w/o DPs. Resonated is recommended for cars w/ DPs. Their system also use the OEM control valves.

Agree with you on tips, MPE got them beat. However, AWE doesn't charge $800-$1,000 for tips like MPE (just plain silly to charge for tips). In the driver seat, I can't see the tips so that wouldn't bother me.

What does bother me is driving around is our weak ass OEM exhaust, what was BMW thinking??? (can't wait for my upgrade) Everyone will have their opinions on exhaust of course. It's cool following how one customer pick a product over another, then read about their logic (look vs sound). Fair and free market at its best (laissez faire).