Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
lgk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Issues with P3cars display, N54 tuning

It would appear that a great amount of emphasis is spent on selling us all expensive hyped gadgets for a $80,000 car, that in reality are probably not tested all that well, and have very poor product support.

Case in point: I ordered and received a P3 cars display through N54 tuning. It was quickly sent out as promised. However, the installation instructions when a piggyback is involved (ESS tuner) are poor at best. Also, I paid an extra $50 dollars for a unit installed in a vent that fell apart just from moving the vent blades up and down.

I have sent several emails and made several posting thinking that the postings are monitored by the vendors. Mike sent me the following email when I asked what wires are tapped in order to get a correct boost reading when using P3 with a ESS piggyback:

"I have no idea how the ess module works so don't know which wire. . Sorry."

While I appreciate his quick response, the response itself left me bewildered. When you sell a product such as this you should be able to make an effort to figure out solutions or answers to what would appear to be a common problem. I know he sells JB4 and would probably know the answer for this unit, I am sure he could have made a call or two to help me figure this out. For the record, it was not just Mike, but I called P3 cars and asked the question, could not get reach anyone so I left a message which was unanswered.

If the vendors spent half the time learning about the products they sell so they can provide good support, as they do hyping there products for selling, they may have even higher sales.

The only recourse that I and others have when vendors can't answer relatively simple questions is to "shame" them with postings such as this. I can and will receive a refund, but that doesn't resolve the fundamental problem of poor customer support so the next user/customer does not have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

I would not personally expect different manufacturers of two completely different parts to know how they interact with each other.

You should call ESS since it seems the issue you are describing pertains primarily to that piggy back.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
lgk
Private
Rep

I disagree!

The gauge is suppose to work with piggy-backs and has some instructions regarding this but they are difficult to decipher. Further the reading comes off by tapping into a 0-5 volt wire, which has a static location regardless of the piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
sleepy75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Huh...I had a minor issue with my P3cars gauge that I also purchased from Mike. He was instrumental in helping me get it resolved with P3. I think its ESS you should be talking to.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
JYTsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 ZCP AW/Spd, F82 - Sold

Just because you can buy a tv from best buy, doesn't mean they will know why your Bluetooth phone doesn't connect with it. Because it's impossible to test all the different manufacture combinations during development. Your expectation seem unreasonable.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 05:25 AM   #6
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

I have to somewhat agree with the OP. I run a business of my own. I single handedly know everything about every product i sell. If i am asked and don't know, i quickly learn. Although Mike doesn't sell the ESS Tune so can't blame him for not knowing.

Considering most guys are running a piggyback on the S55, my first port of call would be to find quires like this out,
Although i must add. "SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT GOING JB4"

Last edited by jwilliams; 05-02-2015 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I've had a chance to look in to this further and Rick @ P3 is working on adding code to support the S55. The MAP sensor can only read up to 21psi so he needs to program it to read off the TMAP sensor. Then you'll just tap the wire coming off the sensor (that goes to the ESS piggyback). P3 is really the best person to work with for tech support on this. As you may have guessed I am not an ESS tune expert as I don't sell it so I don't know which specific wire they use for their readings. With the JB4 I can help but not with the ESS tune.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Not sure if it helps but from what I understand the Awkron and I think the P3 depending on how you hook it up will effect a piggyback. For sure with the JB4 as Terry has said so himself.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
Not sure if it helps but from what I understand the Awkron and I think the P3 depending on how you hook it up will effect a piggyback. For sure with the JB4 as Terry has said so himself.
I was trying to research this a little more when I got my gauge but couldn't find anymore info. Even from the other site. Idk if the gauge would interfere w the jb4 or just not let it perform to full potential. The issues I was having w my car are still present w or w o the tune so I can't blame the gauge and tune simultaneously being in the car having anything to do with it.

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #10
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
I was trying to research this a little more when I got my gauge but couldn't find anymore info. Even from the other site. Idk if the gauge would interfere w the jb4 or just not let it perform to full potential. The issues I was having w my car are still present w or w o the tune so I can't blame the gauge and tune simultaneously being in the car having anything to do with it.
check this out

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29603

not sure if linking to another forum is allowed, if not I'll take it down
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
zackf80m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2011 335i  [7.80]
I have a flash tune myself and am waiting for the firmware update from Rick @p3cars so I can accurately read boost off the map sensor.
      05-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #12
lgk
Private
Rep

For all those naysayers earlier in this post, I guess the sellers of the P3 and the Awron have no duty to know that this is an issue and disclose this before purchasing.

Like I said too much time selling, with incomplete information and not enough time knowing and understanding what they are selling!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #13
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
For all those naysayers earlier in this post, I guess the sellers of the P3 and the Awron have no duty to know that this is an issue and disclose this before purchasing.

Like I said too much time selling, with incomplete information and not enough time knowing and understanding what they are selling!
The JB4 hooked up with the Posi-taps works with the JB4, at least on my car it does. I have logged with the help of Terry the CAN speed of the JB4 and the P3 gauge when active does drop the JB4s CAN data rate but not below what is needed by the JB4 so it works perfectly fine under, map1, map2, etc. hooked in as stage2+

Mike
Appreciate 0