BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
Crazycarl
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

JL XD600/6 Fuse?

I'm about to purchase the XD600/6 amp to replace my stock amp (hi-fi system) and had a quick question about the fuse required.

The manual says it requires a 50 amp fuse, but most power kits come with 80 and above. Is 80 too high to protect it? Does it depend on which gauge wire you use?

I'm a stereo newb.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

50 would be the theoretical minimum fuse at the battery, assuming that the wire you're running is only feeding that amp. Generally I'd stay closer to that number but IMO 80 is nothing too high.

The fuse at the amp is to protect the amp. The fuse at the battery is to protect the car. There are all sorts of ways that power wire can get cut and shorted and connect the battery to the car itself and cause all sorts of fried electronics issues. If that were to happen, an 80A fuse should still blow quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Crazycarl
Private
Rep

This would be the fuse nearest the battery terminal per the amp's instructions. They don't require a fuse near the amp unless you are connecting another amp as well.

Exactly the info I needed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Crazycarl
Private
Rep

Just found this info as well from Crutchfield's hands-on research section:

The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 50-amp AFS, AGU, or MAXI fuse (not included) must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 50-amps, the original should be replaced with a 50-amp fuse
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Strange, I didn't believe it but you're right. I don't think I've ever seen an amp without a fuse in it.

You're on the right track though, run a wire from the battery to the amp, and get the fuse as close as is reasonable to the battery itself. I suspect the 80A fuse in it is fine but would still opt to get a 50A fuse in there in its place.

If you add more equipment down the road you can get a distribution block and fuse the amp itself w/ a 50, the other items as appropriate, and something higher upstream at the battery (i.e. back to the 80A there or more). But you're not there yet it seems so never mind that for now.

Do keep the fuse close to the battery! I once put a fuse about 2' from the battery in an old car I owned long ago, and in that short distance the unfused section of wire rubbed on a metal bracket and shorted out. Fried the cars computer and half the wiring harness.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Crazycarl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Strange, I didn't believe it but you're right. I don't think I've ever seen an amp without a fuse in it.

You're on the right track though, run a wire from the battery to the amp, and get the fuse as close as is reasonable to the battery itself. I suspect the 80A fuse in it is fine but would still opt to get a 50A fuse in there in its place.

If you add more equipment down the road you can get a distribution block and fuse the amp itself w/ a 50, the other items as appropriate, and something higher upstream at the battery (i.e. back to the 80A there or more). But you're not there yet it seems so never mind that for now.

Do keep the fuse close to the battery! I once put a fuse about 2' from the battery in an old car I owned long ago, and in that short distance the unfused section of wire rubbed on a metal bracket and shorted out. Fried the cars computer and half the wiring harness.
Good info. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0