Drives: Slow

Driving in the US

Hi Guys,

will be visiting the state next week,
looking forward for it,

As most of you are from the US, may you share your knowledge if you dont mind

There are some question I would like to ask:
(long story short)

-Am i permitted to drive with my local Indonesian Driving License?
-I will be taking a rental for this 1 Week trip, do you guys have any recommendation of good ones in LA, I hope I could get something decent to color my first US driving trips.

Thank You guys,
      03-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Some rental car agencies require that you have a local drivers license and an international driving permit. Just reach out to the rental agencies to find out what is required. You may even find the information on their websites. I got an international permit here in the USA from AAA before heading to Italy. It literally took 2 minutes. They just asked to see my drivers license and for me to fill out some paper work... There was no special training or test. I don't know if you have something similar to AAA in Indonesia, but you could start by asking your auto insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Not sure about rental but if you get stopped by the cops without a local driving license, you are in trouble.
I know in Nevada they stopped accepting international driving licenses not sure about the rest of the states.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Not sure about rental but if you get stopped by the cops without a local driving license, you are in trouble.
I know in Nevada they stopped accepting international driving licenses not sure about the rest of the states.
Straight from the Nevada DMV website.... (IDK.. maybe they haven't updated it. ?)

Can I drive in Nevada with a driver license or instruction permit from another state or country?

Yes, Nevada honors licenses and permits issued by the appropriate government agency in another state or country. An International Driver License is not required for foreign visitors. Drivers under 18 must obey the restrictions listed under Nevada Teen Driving.

http://nevadadmv.state.nv.us/faqs.htm

Jay-K I highly recommend you to have a international driver's license along with your home country's driver's license.

Also... most rental car companies you have to be over 25 years old - to rent a car. Same over here in Germany.

No good roads in LA. Maybe head over to Santa Barbra(and North!) I would drive up to SanFran or San Jose/Santa Cruz for some good mountain roads.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Straight from the Nevada DMV website.... (IDK.. maybe they haven't updated it. ?)

Can I drive in Nevada with a driver license or instruction permit from another state or country?

Yes, Nevada honors licenses and permits issued by the appropriate government agency in another state or country. An International Driver License is not required for foreign visitors. Drivers under 18 must obey the restrictions listed under Nevada Teen Driving.

One of my friends from Cyprus got in trouble because he had one international and one local driving license ( local from Cyprus). Cop told him he needs one from the US

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
One of my friends from Cyprus got in trouble because he had one international and one local driving license ( local from Cyprus). Cop told him he needs one from the US
IDK. I think as long as your friend is a tourist... and is not staying in the US for more than 90 days... he would be ok with his home country's DL and international permit.

Perhaps the reason why the cop wants him to get a US driver's lic is bc then he can give him a TICKET!

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IDK. I think as long as your friend is a tourist... and is not staying in the US for more than 90 days... he would be ok with his home country's DL and international permit.

Perhaps the reason why the cop wants him to get a US driver's lic is bc then he can give him a TICKET!

Dackel

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #8
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
I agree with Dackel... Take 101 up to and beyond Santa Barbara to Santa Maria is really nice... Stop in either Solvang or Casmalia and eat dinner at Hitching Post.... Amazing steak!
      03-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
What a load of crap. That is 100% false. Cop is just pissed the ticket will go unpaid. 'Merican cops don't realise there is an entire world out side of 'mericuh.

I have driven in many foreign countries (all over EU, Central America, South America) have never needed anything other that my Ontario licence. First time I rented a car in EU I went and got my "International Licence". Really is no reason, have never bothered since.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
What a load of crap. That is 100% false. Cop is just pissed the ticket will go unpaid. 'Merican cops don't realise there is an entire world out side of 'mericuh.

I have driven in many foreign countries (all over EU, Central America, South America) have never needed anything other that my Ontario licence. First time I rented a car in EU I went and got my "International Licence". Really is no reason, have never bothered since.
I use my my US driver license anywhere in the world without a problem. I think the cop either misunderstood the law or he was just having a really bad day.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #11
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Some rental car agencies require that you have a local drivers license and an international driving permit. Just reach out to the rental agencies to find out what is required. You may even find the information on their websites. I got an international permit here in the USA from AAA before heading to Italy. It literally took 2 minutes. They just asked to see my drivers license and for me to fill out some paper work... There was no special training or test. I don't know if you have something similar to AAA in Indonesia, but you could start by asking your auto insurance company.
Hi I will be using my local driver license I suppose,
thanks bro

Quote:
are you sure?
because lots of my friends has already done that.

Quote:

Jay-K I highly recommend you to have a international driver's license along with your home country's driver's license.

Also... most rental car companies you have to be over 25 years old - to rent a car. Same over here in Germany.

No good roads in LA. Maybe head over to Santa Barbra(and North!) I would drive up to SanFran or San Jose/Santa Cruz for some good mountain roads.

Dackel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
I agree with Dackel... Take 101 up to and beyond Santa Barbara to Santa Maria is really nice... Stop in either Solvang or Casmalia and eat dinner at Hitching Post.... Amazing steak!
where is this, will get use the GPS,
is iphone enough lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

Yes,
as long as we follow the rules right?

thanks for the reply guysss
      03-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
mayhewjr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

It's OK but...

I actually work at NY DMV. Most (I would presume all) states recognize "foreign" licenses, because under STATE law all other states are just as "foreign" as another country. However, local police are not always cognizant of this and having the International Driving Certificate may help, especially when your license document is not in English. If you get charged with unlicensed driving with the International Cert., then it's just a mistake on the officer's part and should be dismissed in court.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhewjr View Post
I actually work at NY DMV. Most (I would presume all) states recognize "foreign" licenses, because under STATE law all other states are just as "foreign" as another country. However, local police are not always cognizant of this and having the International Driving Certificate may help, especially when your license document is not in English. If you get charged with unlicensed driving with the International Cert., then it's just a mistake on the officer's part and should be dismissed in court.
hi thanks,
wow sounds so complicated,
thanks for sharing,

sorry to ask again,
what kind of charges could be brought up to me if I don't have the International License,
      03-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #14
1MSPEEDY
Can't wait for spring!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M, 135 M-Sport

Garage List
An International License is advisable but please remember that you can be ticketed in the US and you are required to address or pay any charges. Failure to address or pay will result in the issue of a bench warrant or equivalent that can be exercised at any time you return to the state. I always pay my tickets received in the US.
I received speeding tickets in France and Switzerland last summer and have paid both to avoid serious problems in the future:-)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #15
mayhewjr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
hi thanks,
wow sounds so complicated,
thanks for sharing,

sorry to ask again,
what kind of charges could be brought up to me if I don't have the International License,
The charge would be driving without a license. You could fight it in court by proving that you were licensed, but the International License/Certificate might save you from having to endure the process.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #16
VO_1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Just be ready to pass those idiots that hang out in the left lane ... People here think they are entitled to the left lane for cruising at the speed limit and make you pass around them! At least that is the case in New York and probably in Cali also
2011 335i 6MT JB4, AR Dp, Cpe Cp, AFE, E85 map 7 -gone
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #17
1MSPEEDY
Can't wait for spring!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M, 135 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO_1M View Post
Just be ready to pass those idiots that hang out in the left lane ... People here think they are entitled to the left lane for cruising at the speed limit and make you pass around them! At least that is the case in New York and probably in Cali also
Canada is infected with those drivers as well
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
where is this, will get use the GPS,
is iphone enough lol

On the way back use Rt1 instead of Rt101.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Los+A...5116!3e0?hl=en
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSPEEDY View Post
An International License is advisable but please remember that you can be ticketed in the US and you are required to address or pay any charges. Failure to address or pay will result in the issue of a bench warrant or equivalent that can be exercised at any time you return to the state. I always pay my tickets received in the US.
I received speeding tickets in France and Switzerland last summer and have paid both to avoid serious problems in the future:-)
Okay,
will it be okay if I showed my Passport? without license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhewjr View Post
The charge would be driving without a license. You could fight it in court by proving that you were licensed, but the International License/Certificate might save you from having to endure the process.
Wow,
I will only be in the state for 8 days..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO_1M View Post
Okay sir!
      03-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #20
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Just drive and don't worry about it.

You will have no problems unless you get pulled over by some ID-10-T cop, and then, it won't matter what paperwork you have.

Just remember, it is law to flash your lights and honk at every police car you see, and raise your middle finger to them. This is a sign that you are OK.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:

Dackel
It's surprising how many cops don't know all the laws that they are supposed to be helping to enforce.

Cops are people. Some are smarter than others, and some definitely are wrong about things.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #22
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
It's surprising how many cops don't know all the laws that they are supposed to be helping to enforce.

Cops are people. Some are smarter than others, and some definitely are wrong about things.
Yup. Have had a couple arguments with police about whatever. Amazing how little a few of them know. Most of them are good, but just like normal people, there are some that are dumb as bricks.
Appreciate 0