BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

10-19-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
pilotkman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Focus

I need your suggestion and help!

Hello all, I have asked a similar question before, but would like to get a few answers that will really help me.

I am 16 and have been saving every penny I earn for a BMW. I just love the driving feel and the quality of the car and the brand in itself (I don't want one just for the name). When I am 18 I am planning on purchasing a used probably 2006-2008 at the time 5 series or 3 series. So the car would be about 10 years old at the time and I would buy one with less than 120,000 miles. I have gotten advice that the 525, 528, and 530 engines are the most reliable in both the 3 and 5 series since they are naturally aspirated. Now I like the looks of the 5 series better, but if you guys suggest that the 3 would be more reliable I also like the 3 series. I need x drive because I live in Minnesota and the winters are awful here and I will need to go out no matter what the weather is.

Let's say I buy one with about 2 or 3 previous owners who I do not know and get it checked out at my local BMW dealer. If you could please tell me your experiences with either the 3 or 5 series in these years and tell me what kind of things I should be prepared to fix, or if there are any common problems. Is the car all worn out by then, or would it be a car that I could still really enjoy and use through college and beyond. I understand BMWs are a performance machine and are not perfect. I know I will need to fix things and that it's far from a Corolla in terms of reliability. These cars are my passion and I really need your guys' help in order to make the right choice.

I really appreciate all of your help. Without this website and the members on it, I would be lost.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

E46 330i ZHP with a manual transmission, the cleanest and best priced one you can find. Best all around car BMW has produced in a long, long, long time and they're getting cheap these days.

good luck.
Appreciate 0