BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
carypearson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6 spd

Any one drive the DHP compared to the M adaptive?

I have seen the chart that others have put together, and I have driven the standard X5 now.

But has anyone had a chance to drive both an M adaptive suspension and the Dynamic handling package on the X5?

As I get closer to ordering (I think it is going to be a 40th birthday present to myself in August) I am really trying to decide if the $3600 premium is going to be worth it.

I currently drive a 335xi with Sport package (which means I don't have the sports suspension of the sports package, just the interior and wheels)

I really like the way it handles... I am really looking for close to that for the X5 ( I know that the higher center of gravity and greater weight will change things)

Is the M adaptive going to get me close enough?

$3600 can get me some nice options on the rest of the car (ACC, Multi Contour seats)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Good luck finding one configured with either. As I mentioned in another thread, I must have visited close to 10 dealers and never saw one with either adaptive M or DHP. The best that I could do was the chart that's a sticky here and some cost benefit analysis; the adaptive M is cheap if you're already getting an M sport, DHP is not cheap. So I got adaptive M. I'll let you know how I like it in a few weeks when the car arrives.

MC seats, BTW, are pretty awesome. Those I was able to see, they are in a lot of other BMW cars and I actually did finally find an X5 with them after much looking.

Here's the thing, at some point I think we all have to ask ourselves, what the heck are we doing? If you want a car that handles like it's ready for Indy, get a 3 series. There's no way any suspension will overcome the weight/height of an X5 and make it handle as well as a smaller car with a decent suspension. When driving the Range Rover Sport supercharged, although I enjoyed it, I just kept shaking my head "why does this thing even exist"; it's a vehicle of contradictions. That's kind of how I feel when we (and I'm as guilty as any) start to load up these trucks with massive engines and ultra-high end suspension systems; is it a truck or an Indy car.

That said, they exist because people like them and buy them, so, who am I to complain.. However, I did get the distinct impression from the many dealers I visited that most X5s sold are not all optioned up. It's hard to find things like the design packages, MC seats, ACC stop/go, etc. Some of them, any car will do (ACC stop go is a good example), some of them you really need to see/feel in the X5 (design packages and suspension options). It's really annoying that so few are ordered by the dealer with more than the premium package and perhaps parking sensors. <sigh>

Quote:
Originally Posted by carypearson View Post
I have seen the chart that others have put together, and I have driven the standard X5 now.

But has anyone had a chance to drive both an M adaptive suspension and the Dynamic handling package on the X5?

As I get closer to ordering (I think it is going to be a 40th birthday present to myself in August) I am really trying to decide if the $3600 premium is going to be worth it.

I currently drive a 335xi with Sport package (which means I don't have the sports suspension of the sports package, just the interior and wheels)

I really like the way it handles... I am really looking for close to that for the X5 ( I know that the higher center of gravity and greater weight will change things)

Is the M adaptive going to get me close enough?

$3600 can get me some nice options on the rest of the car (ACC, Multi Contour seats)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
patrick1
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 GT3, '17 X5M

I felt the 5.0 could easily overwhelm the chassis without an upgrade to the suspension. I have DHP and it really helps the driving dynamics. However, in fast turns -7/10 driving and above you are really constrained by the high center of gravity. I drove the 35 with adaptive suspension and I felt this was all that was needed for this vehicle to improve it's handling when pushed hard. When I am alone and the opportunity presents itself I push my cars hard. I would rather put my money into performance/suspension upgrades. If I had a family I would probably spec the vehicle differently.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

After E71 X6, my current car (F15) with adaptive M leans a bit in the turns (even with the suspension set to sport). X6 had no adaptive drive) and it made turns like it was fit to rails. It has to do with the center of gravity but the X6 torque vectoring as well. X5 F15 will not handle like the E71 X6, but do I regret not putting DHP, yes I do. Is it worth the premium, it will be if you do not take it and regret it later .

So far my regrets go to MC seats (though strangely they are not as good as the ones in E71 either ), sunroof (pricey option in Europe) and bigger wheels (19" are comfortable and all but an X5 looks way way cooler on 20" than on 19"s. eventhough they have a slightly wider track in the rear - I understand that is not the case in USA/CAN). Maybe the car will roll less when I purchase 20"s.
Appreciate 0