BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #1
lazychungsimon
Registered
Rep
Drives: G81

Water Stains? How to remove?

Hi, first time posting here. Been driving a G81 for about 6 months, handwash my vehicle from day 1...just this week i noticed a few spots on the exterior, mostly the black skirts and roof. Tlooks like water stains, but can't be sure, and they are smooth to the touch. I used Car Pro Spotless 2.0 but can't seem to be able to get them off...anyone seen anything like this? any suggestion? help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #2
cozye
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

That looks like a clear coat issue to me, separating from the paint. Hard to tell from the photos but I have seen that on a car before. I would take it to the dealer and have them inspect. It would be covered by warranty if that is the case. I had this happen on a BMW once and BMW took care of it. It will only get worse if thats what it is.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #3
lazychungsimon
Registered
Rep

thanks for your advise (hope you are wrong hahah), but appreciate it, will connect with my dealer, better to be safe than sorry... is it just me or coating these days are getting harder to maintain (seem like the more I know, the more I don't know...)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #4
cozye
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

PPF and Ceramic make them easy to maintain. I’ve generally had good luck with clear coat. Just the one car that had spots like that all over after 4 years. It started with a couple and the clear just started separating from the base. Looked just like that but maybe you have something else going on. You might consider analyzing your wash process. Thats a lot of scratches for a 6 month old car. Maybe the dealer installed them for you at a service appointment? LOL.. If no one else is washing your car, get a good mitt, use two buckets, once for rinsing your mitt and one for clean soap, and a good soap.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #5
lazychungsimon
Registered
Rep

I know ☹️... thought I have been using the right stuff and washing properly, just can't seem to keep the black trims looking immaculate...just made an appointment with BMW, let's see what they will say next week...appreciate your help. First world problem, trying not to get too stress about it hahah
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:06 AM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

I'd have suggested a little bit of a fine polishing compound (i.e. Meguiars Scratch X). But if it's actual clear coat separation you might not want to touch it and give anyone any excuse to deny warranty on it.
Appreciate 0