BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #67
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Well, ofc it can't be picked since it has no key slot, that's like saying you have no cavities since all your teeth are gone! Being more descriptive matters.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 12:13 PM   #68
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
I decided when I hired a girl to clean my house. I also had friends coming to town. Physical keys can be copied, given to others, lost, etc. I can send someone an electronic key tha5 they can only use when in Bluetooth range. I can set a schedule the key will work, remove access, etc. I can control the lock from anywhere.

I just added one to my back door. I always have my phone when working outside, but don't want to always carry a key.

In regard to hackers, the knowledge of my system and sophistication a hacker would need is pretty high. Nothing is foolproof, but more homes are breeched by the door getting kicked in than by hacking a lock.
These are all great reasons. I just keep thinking about now how everyone unlocks their phones via fingerprint, so all one has to do is use your fingers after killing you (bypassing the arduous task of figuring out your password), so ,similarly, they don't even need a key anymore to break into your home, just a simple backdoor hack. Don't even get me started about self-driving cars that eventually may be controlled remotely*

*Perhaps this concern only applies if you're being hunted like Jason Bourne, but something to think about lol.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 12:34 PM   #69
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Well, ofc it can't be picked since it has no key slot, that's like saying you have no cavities since all your teeth are gone! Being more descriptive matters.
Or you could just read the thread, it had already been answered. Literally all of your "questions" have been addressed already.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 12:37 PM   #70
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
These are all great reasons. I just keep thinking about now how everyone unlocks their phones via fingerprint, so all one has to do is use your fingers after killing you (bypassing the arduous task of figuring out your password), so ,similarly, they don't even need a key anymore to break into your home, just a simple backdoor hack. Don't even get me started about self-driving cars that eventually may be controlled remotely*

*Perhaps this concern only applies if you're being hunted like Jason Bourne, but something to think about lol.
So your concern is not for being murdered but what someone is going to do with your phone AFTER they murder you? Like are they going to cut off your finger and carry it around with them so they can joy ride your car or make calls with your phone until it starts rotting and then just murder someone else for a new phone?

Honestly at this point the people who have any actual experience with the technology have answered every relevant question and it sounds like its just people who want to argue against using the technology are pulling increasingly more absurd hypotheticals out of their butts to argue against it. Like the sane of us said from the very beginning: you dont have total security, smart locks dont change that, all they do is add a TON of convenience to the security theater you practice in your home today.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #71
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Sounds like sticking with traditional keys is best for you.
      03-07-2022, 01:14 PM   #72
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Or you could just read the thread, it had already been answered. Literally all of your "questions" have been addressed already.
Are you this pissy in real life? If you don't wanna share your anecdotes, that's fine w me, don't need your attitude.

Quote:
So your concern is not for being murdered but what someone is going to do with your phone AFTER they murder you? Like are they going to cut off your finger and carry it around with them so they can joy ride your car or make calls with your phone until it starts rotting and then just murder someone else for a new phone?

Honestly at this point the people who have any actual experience with the technology have answered every relevant question and it sounds like its just people who want to argue against using the technology are pulling increasingly more absurd hypotheticals out of their butts to argue against it. Like the sane of us said from the very beginning: you dont have total security, smart locks dont change that, all they do is add a TON of convenience to the security theater you practice in your home today.
Re Jason Bourne, it's called a joke, talk about WHOOSH...and really, that's it, end of discussion, everything is answered, period, huh? Tech is optimized for this smartlock and no more future developments and features, or concerns, etc? SMH. Get real.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 01:22 PM   #73
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Sounds like sticking with traditional keys is best for you.
Hey, perhaps, but I'm a condo guy and mgt has to have access to everyone's units in case of emergencies anyway, so, in reality, it wouldn't be much of a dealbreaker if it comes down to it.

I just like to raise concerns some ppl are flippantly careless about, e.g. didn't care about blocking their laptop cam, inviting Alexa/etc into their homes while there were proven cases of employees actually eavesdropping. Ppl can do whatever they want in terms of increasing or decreasing their security and/or privacy, but I don't see the prb w discussing potential issues and letting ppl decide for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 02:29 PM   #74
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Are you this pissy in real life? If you don't wanna share your anecdotes, that's fine w me, don't need your attitude.

Re Jason Bourne, it's called a joke, talk about WHOOSH...and really, that's it, end of discussion, everything is answered, period, huh? Tech is optimized for this smartlock and no more future developments and features, or concerns, etc? SMH. Get real.
I didnt bring up the jason bourne part, just the stupid part about someone killing you for your phone and using your fingerprint.

We get it, you don't like electronic locks, but nobody made you click on this thread. And I think the rest can admit there is the "possibility" some elite hacking crackhead might use $6k of hardware to unlock my door to sneak in and steal my 6 year old Sony TV instead of just going around back and smashing my glass patio door. But the reason we don't talk about it is the same reason we don't go, "Well, what are the implications of a russian EMP strike on my door lock functionality?"

Ill go ahead and ignore the drivel going forward and respond if someone has a legit question about these locks.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #75
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I didnt bring up the jason bourne part, just the stupid part about someone killing you for your phone and using your fingerprint.

We get it, you don't like electronic locks, but nobody made you click on this thread. And I think the rest can admit there is the "possibility" some elite hacking crackhead might use $6k of hardware to unlock my door to sneak in and steal my 6 year old Sony TV instead of just going around back and smashing my glass patio door. But the reason we don't talk about it is the same reason we don't go, "Well, what are the implications of a russian EMP strike on my door lock functionality?"

Ill go ahead and ignore the drivel going forward and respond if someone has a legit question about these locks.
Like I said, those examples aren't relevant, we need to focus on the lock itself; doesn't even make sense, if your home is vulnerable elsewhere, does that mean you shouldn't care about other parts?

I'm not against smartlocks, they seem neat and I'm here to learn, but some ppl are just arrogant fake know-it-alls. Talk about irritable, what the hell haha. Ok dude, whatever, you already proclaimed that there's nothing to learn here, might as well call the mods to close this thread. /s Regret you are so miserable, hope your life gets better.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #76
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

well.......

this took a turn .......

;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 08:47 PM   #77
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtox9 View Post
well.......

this took a turn .......

;-)
I can turn back, I just actually finally ordered that nest/yale for the back door. Nice thing is its a bit cheaper since I already have the connect.

Perfect timing too because Im about to start traveling in earnest again and my neighbor takes care of my dog for me.

Im still on the fence for the garage door. I just have a classic keypad lock but I also have those Z-wave garage door controllers so I dont think having the ability to remotely control that lock matters much.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #78
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Just installed another Level Bolt. Had to do a tiny bit of Dremel work to get the strike plate hole in the door jamb enlarged. My old bolt had flat sides. The Level Bolt is round. Piece o' cake, though. Now to see if the BT connection to the Apple TV in the living room holds up. The other Level Bolt I have in the garage is connected via BT to an older Apple TV I stuck out there. I had to set that ATV to not go to sleep. The one in the living room is newer and appears to be asleep, but I can still see the lock status in HomeKit. That could be due to my iPhone also being within BT range. I'm hoping Level updates the firmware to work with Thread or Matter in the future.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 03-11-2022 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
dtox9351.00
      03-12-2022, 05:45 PM   #79
Joe T
Rep
Drives: F16 X6

installed my 3rd Schlage Sense (Century in Nickel finish) today
Front door, walk out basement and door from kitchen to garage. All connect to Apple TV

had to drill out the steel door though, the old deadbolt had a smaller hole so it took longer than I anticipated.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619135.00
M_Six18606.00
      03-12-2022, 08:40 PM   #80
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

My two remaining doors have no deadbolt plate indents, so I still have to chisel them in. All in good time.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619135.00
      03-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #81
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
My two remaining doors have no deadbolt plate indents, so I still have to chisel them in. All in good time.
If you know someone with a router you can get a jig that makes it a 30 second thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #82
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you know someone with a router you can get a jig that makes it a 30 second thing.
My brother was saying that. He said if I had a bunch of doors to do, it'd be worth it. But I only have two doors that need it, so I'll just go old school with them.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0