BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #45
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I've been at my current job about as long as you. Similar decisions, but a little bit different. I wouldn't go back, at least not in the near term.

My old job I loved the work I was doing, really interesting, basically a dream job for my field. But the company culture was uncomfortable. A lot of uncertainty, worked people hard, pulling back on lots of benefits, etc. Just not very employee friendly.

At my new job, I enjoy the work, but it isn't nearly as "sexy" as my old job and isn't really my specialty. But it pays better, is stable, and much more employee friendly with benefits. Overall quality of life is much improved, so for me that was an acceptable trade off and I'm happy with where I am now.

So as it relates to your situation, I would more heavily weight your quality of life than salary, especially if the difference won't affect your lifestyle significantly. That said, I too would find it very difficult to move backward in salary. I think your best option is to use your current salary to negotiate with your old company. If they are huge as you say, the pay difference is a drop in the bucket for them, and they clearly value you if they want you back. They can pay the market rate for z335is' services or find someone else.
Thanks for the insight. Yes, I'm definitely in the process of having some additional perks throw in, chief of which is two guaranteed work from home days per week. At my current company work from home is frowned upon outside of emergency situations, so that will be a huge help in of itself.
Argh! Get out of any job in IT that does not allow WFH. That is so old school it is maddening.

In my new job I actually work with my old company. I, in an odd way, feel sorry for all of my old friends when I see them sitting in their cubes. Again I loved the old company...but there is NO WAY in he77 I'd go back to that every day.

Hence my advice above. You are in IT. There are tons of jobs out there. Don't overlook finding your dream job! You want a 20% raise and WFH? Find it!