proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

Question 991 GT3 Issues

The new GT3 is a disaster. All 800 units sold have been recalled and unsold units are being held. It has a problem with going on fire (no Tesla jokes please - completely different issue). I fear the M3 will run into the same issues. The GT3 no longer has its own custom built engine from Metzger. It's now using the regular 911 block and they're stretching it. The GT3 car still uses the old Metzger engine, which means the new one is shit for racing. It will be interesting to see if the M3 Cup Car still uses a V8. Here's our answer:

Quote:
So while the 2014 BMW M4 coupe uses a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six, the M4 DTM uses a 4.0-liter V8 that complies with the series’ regulations. Peak output will be around 480 horsepower and 368 pound-feet of torque.
Porsche Sees Solution ‘Shortly’ for 911 GT3 Engine Fires
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ment-cost.html
      03-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

I can only hope that BMW is better with their warranty than Porsche. Centerlock failures on the 997.2 GT3 prompted Porsche to require owners to keep a track mileage log and replace the CL's after a certain mileage accrued on the track. They also will not warranty the coolant lines that fail and spill coolant over the the rear tires as that would require removal of the engine to replace the lines. They also keep track of the over revs via the DME so they can deny warranty. The clutch is not strong enough and fails prematurely as well. They find out that your car has been on the track=warranty denied...

If you're going to buy a Porsche you need to go into it knowing that you'll get absolutely gouged on everything, and then you'll be on your own come warranty time. It's not because Porsche can't cover warranty from a financial standpoint as they average $23K on every 911 it produces and is the most profitable car producer in the world.

Last edited by Randy M; 03-16-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post
The new GT3 is a disaster. All 800 units sold have been recalled and unsold units are being held. It has a problem with going on fire (no Tesla jokes please - completely different issue). I fear the M3 will run into the same issues. The GT3 no longer has its own custom built engine from Metzger. It's now using the regular 911 block and they're stretching it. The GT3 car still uses the old Metzger engine, which means the new one is shit for racing. It will be interesting to see if the M3 Cup Car still uses a V8.
What evidence do you have that suggests the new M3 and M4 will be susceptible to spontaneous combustion?

Did I miss something?
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
The new GT3 is a disaster. All 800 units sold have been recalled and unsold units are being held. It has a problem with going on fire (no Tesla jokes please - completely different issue). I fear the M3 will run into the same issues. The GT3 no longer has its own custom built engine from Metzger. It's now using the regular 911 block and they're stretching it. The GT3 car still uses the old Metzger engine, which means the new one is shit for racing. It will be interesting to see if the M3 Cup Car still uses a V8. Here's our answer:

What a ridiculous post. So much fail. Yes the new GT3 has some issue causing fires. How do you get from there to the wrong choice of engine block? That makes no sense.

Second, who cares about whether the GT3 has a Mezger (not "Metzger") derived engine? What do you care about the origins of the 991 GT3 engine? Even if you owned one, what matters is internals, hp, weight, redline, etc, not some tenuous connection to some past engine designer.

Third, the fact the the GT3 Cup cars are using the older engine is no surprise - it's got an established knowledge base and parts base and it's a known quantity.

Fourth, same point applies to the M3 Cup car - there are many reasons race engines can follow different paths than street engines, including the fact that what they have today works and doesn't need new expensive development.

Finally, connecting all this to the M3, you're suggesting that because the M3 has a new engine, it will catch fire and be recalled? Or your point was...?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

wow I always thought the gt3 model's were bulletproof that was my next car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
I can only hope that BMW is better with their warranty than Porsche. Centerlock failures on the 997.2 GT3 prompted Porsche to require owners to keep a track mileage log and replace the CL's after a certain mileage accrued on the track. They also will not warranty the coolant lines that fail and spill coolant over the the rear tires as that would require removal of the engine to replace the lines. They also keep track of the over revs via the DME so they can deny warranty. The clutch is not strong enough and fails prematurely as well. They find out that your car has been on the track=warranty denied...

If you're going to buy a Porsche you need to go into it knowing that you'll get absolutely gouged on everything, and then you'll be on your own come warranty time. It's not because Porsche can't cover warranty from a financial standpoint as they average $23K on every 911 it produces and is the most profitable car producer in the world.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w

Quote:
So while the 2014 BMW M4 coupe uses a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six, the M4 DTM uses a 4.0-liter V8 that complies with the series’ regulations. Peak output will be around 480 horsepower and 368 pound-feet of torque.
Yeah brother has GT3 on order, sucks for him. He bought a first year e92. Not one problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Cingulus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 06 A3, 03 350Z TT,

If you want to look at first year problems look at the new 991 GT3...If you can wait it is worth it.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...stop-sale.html

All new GT3s on stop-ship
All delivered cars need new engines

I am still getting a 2015, but I would give it a year personally.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
What a ridiculous post. So much fail. Yes the new GT3 has some issue causing fires. How do you get from there to the wrong choice of engine block? That makes no sense.

Second, who cares about whether the GT3 has a Mezger (not "Metzger") derived engine? What do you care about the origins of the 991 GT3 engine? Even if you owned one, what matters is internals, hp, weight, redline, etc, not some tenuous connection to some past engine designer.

Third, the fact the the GT3 Cup cars are using the older engine is no surprise - it's got an established knowledge base and parts base and it's a known quantity.

Fourth, same point applies to the M3 Cup car - there are many reasons race engines can follow different paths than street engines, including the fact that what they have today works and doesn't need new expensive development.

Finally, connecting all this to the M3, you're suggesting that because the M3 has a new engine, it will catch fire and be recalled? Or your point was...?

He's the resident Audi-village-idiot-turned-Bimmerpost-troll. Try to pay him no mind. I'm still working on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

best troll ever

seriously, I cant believe you haven't been banned yet, incredible feat

03-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
best troll ever

seriously, I cant believe you haven't been banned yet, incredible feat

It's amazing they allow independent thought on the Internet. This isn't forum.bmwusa.com. We can do things other than marketing amplification, like think and debate.
      03-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #11
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
It's amazing they allow independent thought on the Internet. This isn't forum.bmwusa.com. We can do things other than marketing amplification, like think and debate.
Again, what makes you think the M3/M4 will be prone/susceptible to the same issues that are plaguing the Porsche?
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:31 AM   #12
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Again, what makes you think the M3/M4 will be prone/susceptible to the same issues that are plaguing the Porsche?
+1

Im dying to know how he pulled that out of his ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

I gotta say, the huge jump of logic in this thread is pretty astounding, you must've really hurt your brain coming up with this one.
Appreciate 0