EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

GT-R Powerplant in an Infiniti sedan: Q50 Eau Rouge

Wow...talk about game changer. Of course, they have not committed to build it yet but it is going to the Geneva Auto Show. From AutoBlog:

There has been ongoing talk of an Infiniti using the Nissan GT-R powertrain practically since the moment the Nissan's flagship sports coupe hit the road. While the rumors have gone back and forth over the years, they have never completely gone away. It seems Infiniti is finally turning an ear to the screams of its most vocal enthusiasts with an updated version of the Q50 Eau Rouge concept boasting a modified version of Godzilla's engine and all-wheel drive system debuting at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show. It's even taking things a step further and granting it a new, seven-speed transmission to replace the Nissan's six-speed.

The latest evolution of the Eau Rouge packs the same 3.8-liter, twin turbocharged V6 found in the GT-R but with a unique tune of 560 horsepower and 443 pound-feet (600 Newton-meters) of torque. That makes it 15 hp more powerful than the standard 2015 GT-R but gives up 20 lb-ft of torque. Power gets to the ground through the GT-R's all-wheel-drive system. Infiniti predicts that the Eau Rouge would sprint to 60 miles per hour in less than 4 seconds and on to a top speed of 180 mph.

Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge engineAccording to Infiniti Communications Senior Manager Kyle Bazemore in an email to Autoblog, the modded GT-R powertrain was not the only choice for the Eau Rouge. It also considered "developing a high-power sports diesel" and hybrid versions with an electric supercharger. However, "this was the clear solution for this concept car," Bazemore said. Other than the drivetrain, the Eau Rouge in Switzerland is identical to the one shown in Detroit. Sadly, it is not confirmed for production; so we might not be getting the fabled Infiniti GT-R sedan any time soon. Still, we can hope.

Yet again confounded by BMW's insistence that the only way to sell sports sedans in 2015 is by using tiny, efficient motors when all of the competition is manning-up and bringing the heavy artillery.

If they can sell this car for $80k or less and make it 3/4 as fun as the GT-R does then they have a buyer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Yes, yes, and yes. If produced, this will be a game changing car. No question.

This car actually debuted in Detroit at NAIAS and made small waves, but discussion has been largely muted by the fact that Infiniti was coy about their plans for the powerplant. Many suspected an AMG drivetrain due to their current partnership, and that would basically just make it a C63 in a different package. Cool, but not overly exciting.

With GTR powertrain in there - complete with 560hp, the DCT, and of course the AWD system - this is going to be an utterly savage beast.

The only question is price. Is this going to be an M3/C63/RS4/IS-F/ATS-V beater for the same money, or are we talking about M5/E63/RS6 money? If the latter, the impact will not be as dramatic. And when you look at where the GTR is priced, you have to wonder if they can make the case for selling this in the ~$75k price range. This, especially when you think about the inevitable demand for a coupe (Q60) version of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I don't see how they can sell this car for M3 money.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

I ll buy one if prices right.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

It's so horribly blingy. I know its a concept/show car, but it looks like a GTA custom. . . Just waiting for the tires to pop purple smoke upon 4 wheel burnout.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
People said the same thing about the GTR. It out performs cars 4 times as expensive. Its a great car but the interior and exterior quality are lacking.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
People said the same thing about the GTR. It out performs cars 4 times as expensive. Its a great car but the interior and exterior quality are lacking.
Look what it sells for now. It ain't M3 money.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

According to jalopnik, this will not have the DCT...will get a 7 speed slushbox implying ATTESA is unlikely. Makes sense though because the GT-R requires a lot more maintenance than a luxury sport sedan should. Should still be beastly...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

It may perform, but the interior and quality is on par with a Lancer Evo or STI. For a race who cares, but for daily driver I enjoy a nice interior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

1) good for infiniti
2) the gtr motor is a gem, glad it will be in this car
3) its ugly
4) I don't care how fast it is if it cant handle well
5) how much will it weigh
6) what kind of suspension tech will it feature
7) how much will it cost

I am far far far from sold on this car. if all you wanna do is go fast, I see no reason to choose this over an amg with its new turbo v8, or the next gen rs5. I also think the f8x m3 will be extremely fast, and not lacking for acceleration. And that's before the aftermarket gets ahold of it
      03-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Why would they sell it for M3 money when they can sell it for M5 money?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
According to jalopnik, this will not have the DCT...will get a 7 speed slushbox implying ATTESA is unlikely. Makes sense though because the GT-R requires a lot more maintenance than a luxury sport sedan should. Should still be beastly...
That absolutely kills it if true, and at that point they might as well have gone with the W205 C63 drivetrain instead. But its all rumors at this point - the car isn't even confirmed for production. I'm not ruling out a true GTR sedan yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Why would they sell it for M3 money when they can sell it for M5 money?
They will sell it for whatever price nets them the sales target, assuming it fits in with the rest of their lines of business. Surely it will not sell in as high volumes at an M5 price than it will at an M3 price. The question is, can they undercut the GTR price significantly without putting a death knell on that car. Perhaps not. But they could rewrite the GTR story for lower profit per unit and higher volume sales too. Or something else even more business savvy from those folks that make all of these business-y decisions.

No doubt about one thing though, Nissan has the chops to build a luxury performance brand and there is an audience out there who will take notice and throw the cash down if they do.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
They will sell it for whatever price nets them the sales target, assuming it fits in with the rest of their lines of business. Surely it will not sell in as high volumes at an M5 price than it will at an M3 price. The question is, can they undercut the GTR price significantly without putting a death knell on that car. Perhaps not. But they could rewrite the GTR story for lower profit per unit and higher volume sales too. Or something else even more business savvy from those folks that make all of these business-y decisions.

No doubt about one thing though, Nissan has the chops to build a luxury performance brand and there is an audience out there who will take notice and throw the cash down if they do.
Who is going to buy a four door car -- daily driver territory -- with the lackluster GTR interior? They will have to take a step up in materials, fit & finish, etc.

Thanks for explaining business to me but my point, which you hint at, is that the business case for this model with corners cut to make price point is not clear.

They will be watching M3 vs M4 sales to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Who is going to buy a four door car -- daily driver territory -- with the lackluster GTR interior? They will have to take a step up in materials, fit & finish, etc.
Indeed. I think its a given this car will have the Q50 interior with some enhancements just as we see with F30->F80 and other cars in this class.

Quote:
Thanks for explaining business to me but my point, which you hint at, is that the business case for this model with corners cut to make price point is not clear.
Since you understand business, then you already know that there is loads of margin built into these performance cars. I'm sure you also know that companies adjust margins all the time for many reasons, such as to expand into new markets or gain market share.

Quote:
They will be watching M3 vs M4 sales to be sure.
They've been watching them for years. Maybe now they are finally on the cusp of joining the game.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

I drive a GTR, it's going bye bye when the new M3 comes in to my garage this June.

The interior: it's a joke, plastic all around. Everything screams Japanese ricer car.

Exterior: fugly, I don't know why they have to make the car look so strange with effed up lines, sharp corners etc..

Driving: addictive, I have spanked almost all cars I have gone against on the track. But the car controls everything, you feel disconnected from the road and the car actually controls you. It's a robot with a jet engine on 4 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #16
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

really wish nissan would take another page out of the porsche book and make a version of the GT-R rear wheel drive. lighten it up as much as possible. god forbid offer a manual transmission in it. call it widowmaker edition. sold. wouldn't car what it looked like. how many doors. use interior from an R32. fine with me. haha.

this sedan sounds like a japanese AWD E63 AMG. its not gonna have the personality of a gtr even if the heart is related.
      03-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Nice little video at the bottom of this link. That sound!!

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/03/04/inf...-engine-video/
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

If it handles anywhere close to the GTR or M5, I'd be absolutely interested. Plus, don't bother arguing about the quality of the interior now, if anything Infiniti is good at is making the interior looks and feels luxurious. I am not worried about that part.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #19
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

This car sounds interesting. I would seriously consider it if....

1) Similar handling to GTR
2) Similar ridiculous acceleration
3) Price was below M5 level

I'm okay with the standard Infiniti luxury interior and exterior design as long as the performance is epic.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #20
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Repost:

http://2addicts.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=21
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #21
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
This car sounds interesting. I would seriously consider it if....

1) Similar handling to GTR
2) Similar ridiculous acceleration
3) Price was below M5 level

I'm okay with the standard Infiniti luxury interior and exterior design as long as the performance is epic.
Not sure why people are mentioning GTR interior. It's an Infiniti Q50 and will have same interior no? Use google and type in Infiniti Q50 interior and you get:

Now what transmission and tech it'll have, that's another story. Very interesting car for sure.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #22
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

I think of this car as a Japanese Cadillac CTS-V. Sure it will be fast, sure it will handle well, sure it might have a few luxury appointments, sure it might have some of the latest tech, aside from all that though, I think it will be on the same level as the CTS-V and maybe with similar pricing. The last generation CTS-V was already making nearly the same horsepower and way more torque, had some nice luxury aspects, was priced $30-$40k less than an M5, and did that car sell like hotcakes? Nope.

I think the biggest single factor in a possible future 4-Door GTR-ish car will be the market price that Infiniti demands for it. If they demand over $100k for it, then who would be willing to pay that for an Infiniti. Kind of the same thing happened with the Lexus LFA. $400k for an incredible sports car, but your still only driving a Lexus. Some people care about that, others don't.

Me personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in an Infiniti, even if it came with performance that equaled or bettered the F10 M5, but came with 3/4's the luxury, utility, comfort, convenience, and technology that the F10 M5 has. Plus I don't care for AWD on a Sports Sedan. If I wanted that, I'd go buy an Audi. If a future 4-Door AWD GTR is in fact made, I have a feeling that like the current 2-Door GTR it will have no feeling. That is to say it will still feel like driving a robot, there will not be enough sensation, feedback, and puristic driving pleasure as I get with my F10 M5. For someone who only cares about speed, sure go buy the new Infiniti GTR, have at it I say.

I do like the fact that JDM companies are trying to break into new markets though. It's just that a lot of the little things that the Germans have been perfecting for year and years will not be present in any high performance JDM Sports Sedan. In the end, I love the fact that Nissan and Infiniti are playing with this idea. It only inspires competition and from a consumers point of view competition is a very good thing.

Appreciate 0