E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Cigarette lighter/other power outlets have no power unless car is running

11-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
veniculum
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Cigarette lighter/other power outlets have no power unless car is running

Please don't bash me...I'm new to this board, but not to boards in general. I did search, and it appears there is quite a bit of info regarding the power outlets on the e90s. That said, I have found that on my 08, I don't have power to any of the outlets unless the car is actually running. From everything I've read, it seems normal that there is no power if the car is completely off...but if the ignition is on, the outlets do get power. So is there something wrong with my car??

Assuming that there is nothing wrong with my car and this is the case on all 08s, the fact that there is no power to any outlet, whether the ignition is on or off...only when the car is running, is just ridiculous. I could even see why BMW did this if it was because of the need for the onboard computers to go into sleep mode (which I read in a few threads). But when the ignition is on, still no power? WTF????

In my case, the reason I'm a little frustrated about this is because I put a new XM unit in my car, and it uses the cigarette lighter's power. And basically, I can't listen to satellite radio unless the car is running...which is really kind of annoying. Once again, as irritating as it is that there is no power to these outlets when the engine/ignition isn't on, I understand. But no power when the key is in the ignition, and it's turned on....that's just silly.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Todd
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
veniculum
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

please disregard...I took a ride to my sister's house tonight. She has an 07 328xi w/ nav. I realized that BMW considers the "ignition on" when the start button has been pushed...and all the cars components are switched on.

I was under the impression that "ignition on" is when the key is put in and the stereo (and some other components) are switched on.

So with that said, this begs the question...how long can these cars sit with the "ignition on" without killing the battery...even if I turn all climate controls, lights, etc off?

Thanks.

Todd
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by veniculum View Post
please disregard...I took a ride to my sister's house tonight. She has an 07 328xi w/ nav. I realized that BMW considers the "ignition on" when the start button has been pushed...and all the cars components are switched on.

I was under the impression that "ignition on" is when the key is put in and the stereo (and some other components) are switched on.

So with that said, this begs the question...how long can these cars sit with the "ignition on" without killing the battery...even if I turn all climate controls, lights, etc off?

Thanks.

Todd
Let me add few more thing that not working when car not running - garage opener and your stering weel horn signal. Read here that one owner wash his car for 30 min and lisen to the radio - and then ka-bum.
      11-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lol i was in that power on mode but engine off thing for like 2 hours and it said my battery juice was low... so i had to turn on the engine and sit there for another 30 minutes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0