BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Just came back from driving the new i3 ~ mighty impressive car!

A little background, we have a hybrid in the stable (CT200h) and I've driven the Tesla at length on various drives (40+ miles into the city and back) and I have to say BMW's first crack at a electric vehicle is pretty good.

Recently there was an open house event so I got a chance to see/drive the new i3. The color was a really unique 2-tone black upper and lower burnt orange color. I think this car would look really cool with the white/black scheme. First thing I noticed were the wheels were extremely large almost blade like, I think they were 19's. We are not actually looking for another EV car but just wanted to check out this new ride from BMW.

Interior room looks tight because of the way the rear doors look but once you get past the lines, it's actually quite roomy opened up. They open like my Tacoma extend cab. The rear door swings back so suicide door so makes getting in and out really easy.

Once we hopped in, I knew my wife will immediately notice the african wood trim and the dual sunroof openings ~ she does not like sun and I do so the shades can be closed individually. There are dual LCD's, an odd START button that is hidden behind the right side of the steering wheel and an even more odd shifter for P, D, R. The middle LCD is for NAV and the BMW traditional iDrive is where it normally is except this one functions way more intuitive than the one in my M3. Plus the display is 10x better that what the e90 has!

When we took off, it's absolutely silent as most electrics cars are supposed to be but I noticed the car has heavy braking the minute the gas is left off, no coasting here! It accelerates pretty hard and turns good. It's definitely not a sports car, I can only imagine how good the i8 will be when it comes out.

Acceleration is quite strong and the car feels nimble, although center of gravity feels a bit high (like a small RAV4 type SUV). The car makes you think you are driving a SMART car but it's actually much larger, I an easily see a family of 4 going out in this thing. The dash cluster is really simple, two LCD's supply all of the information. One thing I like is there is a central button that activates some sort of vehicle collision avoidance system. I don't know what it does exactly or what it's called but it seems to be a 360 radar type system with alerts anytime someone is nearby, pretty cool

We did not get to go on the highway but at speeds up to 50mph around town, this thing really scoots. I love the open air concept and the car has virtually no blindspots. It's so quiet I told the sales guy it's almost like riding in a hot air balloon.

He said MSRP starts at $42k and they only have about 70 allocated this year. It's a very cool car and I suspect it will be quite popular. Sure beats driving a Nissan Leaf or Prius around. I'm going to take my wife back for a second test drive. I love high HP cars but these new electrics are really making a name for themselves!

cheers!

15 Ferrari 458 Spider

Last edited by s4play; 02-21-2014 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Thanks for this! I'm going to a dealer event tomorrow to test drive one and I'm pretty excited.

We have a Honda CRZ 6mt in the stable which has made me really interested in efficiency. I must say, I was pretty close to buying a Volt, but the interior controls were a little busy and tacky for my taste. Great car though.

My only hesitation with electric cars is that I really like driving a manual transmission...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

It's funny you mention the "high" CoG. It's actually only 5mm higher than an E92 M3's CoG.

-MrB
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

very cool, thanks for posting your thoughts.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
It's funny you mention the "high" CoG. It's actually only 5mm higher than an E92 M3's CoG.

-MrB
Interesting you say that because I was told the i3 has a lower center of gravity than a 3-Series. I guess the M# is even lower than a regular 3-Series though. Where did you get the exact figures for the CoG to compare them if you don't mind?

I think many people expect it will not have a low CoG because it's a relatively tall, boxy car. But they don't realize the heaviest part of the car, the battery pack it at and even a little below the axle line. The top of the car is all CFRP and plastic.

Last edited by tommolog; 02-25-2014 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

The CoG comment was strictly from a seat of the pants thing. I was too busy looking at all the fancy digital displays. Overall I would have to say the car lives up to the BMW name, heck if someone can pay $40k for a Prius, I don't see how BMW will have ANY trouble selling all off these cars.

The i3 is cool but it's the i8 that will cause quite a stir in the automotive world when it gets released in mid July. That is the car I really want to test drive
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
I want one.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
Interesting you say that because I was told the i3 has a lower center of gravity than a 3-Series. I guess the M# is even lower than a regular 3-Series though. Where did you get the exact figures for the CoG to compare them if you don't mind?

I think many people expect it will not have a low CoB because it's a relatively tall, boxy car. But they don't realize the heaviest part of the car, the battery pack it at and even a little below the axle line. The top of the car is all CFRP and plastic.
The chief technician at an i3 preview event I attended in Atlanta told us during his little "tech talk" before we went out to drive them.

Oh, and we want one too.

-MrB
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
remcoy
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

A high H-point is what you might be referring too.. That's different than the center of gravity
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
I think I want one too!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Just drove one. I want one.. but will wait until next year, such that I can get a sunroof....
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
A little background, we have a hybrid in the stable (CT200h) and I've driven the Tesla at length on various drives (40+ miles into the city and back) and I have to say BMW's first crack at a electric vehicle is pretty good.

Recently there was an open house event so I got a chance to see/drive the new i3. The color was a really unique 2-tone black upper and lower burnt orange color. I think this car would look really cool with the white/black scheme. First thing I noticed were the wheels were extremely large almost blade like, I think they were 19's. We are not actually looking for another EV car but just wanted to check out this new ride from BMW.

Interior room looks tight because of the way the rear doors look but once you get past the lines, it's actually quite roomy opened up. They open like my Tacoma extend cab. The rear door swings back so suicide door so makes getting in and out really easy.

Once we hopped in, I knew my wife will immediately notice the african wood trim and the dual sunroof openings ~ she does not like sun and I do so the shades can be closed individually. There are dual LCD's, an odd START button that is hidden behind the right side of the steering wheel and an even more odd shifter for P, D, R. The middle LCD is for NAV and the BMW traditional iDrive is where it normally is except this one functions way more intuitive than the one in my M3. Plus the display is 10x better that what the e90 has!

When we took off, it's absolutely silent as most electrics cars are supposed to be but I noticed the car has heavy braking the minute the gas is left off, no coasting here! It accelerates pretty hard and turns good. It's definitely not a sports car, I can only imagine how good the i8 will be when it comes out.

Acceleration is quite strong and the car feels nimble, although center of gravity feels a bit high (like a small RAV4 type SUV). The car makes you think you are driving a SMART car but it's actually much larger, I an easily see a family of 4 going out in this thing. The dash cluster is really simple, two LCD's supply all of the information. One thing I like is there is a central button that activates some sort of vehicle collision avoidance system. I don't know what it does exactly or what it's called but it seems to be a 360 radar type system with alerts anytime someone is nearby, pretty cool

We did not get to go on the highway but at speeds up to 50mph around town, this thing really scoots. I love the open air concept and the car has virtually no blindspots. It's so quiet I told the sales guy it's almost like riding in a hot air balloon.

He said MSRP starts at $42k and they only have about 70 allocated this year. It's a very cool car and I suspect it will be quite popular. Sure beats driving a Nissan Leaf or Prius around. I'm going to take my wife back for a second test drive. I love high HP cars but these new electrics are really making a name for themselves!

cheers!

Totally agree re how great the car is. Two points of clarification:

1. Those are the 20" wheels

2. Even though BMW included the sunroof in the US demo models, they are actually not going to offer the sunroof in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
My sales manager says roof are on the way..
Appreciate 0