F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Fuming...
ARMA SPEED

12-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
docsimonm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i MY14 M Sport

Fuming...

Hi guys,

Along with the many others on this forum, I too was supposed to pick up my car this month. Today was supposed to be a big day, BUT....

An hour before I was supposed to pick up the car, the dealer rings me and says that a "rear seatbelt" fault has come up. So he was going to have the service guys look at it, and would let me know.

An update about an hour later - they're going to have to get into some of the panels and it won't be until after lunch...

Lunch time - the problem is linked in with all the airbags, and it needs a new part. The part has to be coded with the VIN number... and therefore the part has to come from Germany... "I'm hoping for about 2-3 weeks".

Naturally, I am not a happy camper....

They have given me a loaner (as they should) as I have sold my other car. Thankfully I didn't even have to ask...

So now I am paying a car loan/rego/CTP/custom plates for a car I don't have (can't easily reverse it, have checked), that when I ordered made it clear it had to be a pre-Christmas delivery. And now they've been taking off panels etc....

Questions:

1. How the hell does this happen to a brand new car? How bad is the manufacturing and quality control process for this to happen?

2. I am yet to let the dealership now how incredibly unimpressed I am (taking slow deep breaths...). I know shit happens, but seriously? Seeing as there should be some form of compensation (I am paying interest and the inconvenience on not being able to take it on my Christmas holidays), what should my plan of attack be/what should I be asking for?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

As I said to you privately mate, unfortunately it seems typical of this pack of morons. That is BMW in general not our local franchise. In fact I have nothing but good things to say about the local guys, maybe things would have been different if I bought the first one from them.

Did you actually take delivery (sign docs etc) prior to them telling you this? If not the car is not yours yet and there shouldn't be any impost on you to pay a thing.

As far as the QC, as you so eloquently stated, shit happens and I think that's all you can say, you just lucked out.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

docsimonm, I sympathise, really I do, but two things:

1) Shit happens, really it does.

2) Would you rather they'd found it now, or it came up after delivery? It's a little bit like your flight being delayed due to a mechanical fault. I NEVER bitch about that, I'm always happy that they found it before it was at 40,000 feet :-)

So, all you can do is roll with the punches and just hope,that the dealer does everything that they can for you and that you're not impacted too much over Christmas.

I was supposed to take delivery late Sept, it ended up being nearly mid-Dec .

Good luck.
      12-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsimonm View Post
They have given me a loaner

Questions:

1. How the hell does this happen to a brand new car? How bad is the manufacturing and quality control process for this to happen?

2. I am yet to let the dealership now how incredibly unimpressed I am (taking slow deep breaths...). I know shit happens, but seriously? Seeing as there should be some form of compensation (I am paying interest and the inconvenience on not being able to take it on my Christmas holidays), what should my plan of attack be/what should I be asking for?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions....
Thankfully you have a loaner. Is it an equivalent car to yours?

1. Worse happens to a new car. Unfortunately a mass produced car, like the F30 is going to have issues. I was devastated (not really) when my little rear red reflector fell off days after I took delivery of mine. I thought the entire car was going to fall apart. (again, not really - just trying to get a little lol out of you).

2. Just keep your cool as it's not the dealer's fault. In fact, they found the fault. Safety is no 1 and they have demonstrated a 'zero tolerance' (whatever that stupid term means) to safety compromises. Obviously a big issue.

As for compensation, they have given you a loaner for starters. Just ensure you are aware of your legal responsibilities & excess cost if the car is damaged. When your car is ready for delivery, see if you can organise a few extra bits & pieces (Lifestyle shop or similar) or first service free as compensation for your inconvenience & expenses.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
jon102034050
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

I am in a similar situation. The dealer built an auto when I clearly asked for a manual. If your dealer is anything like mine, they really don't give a rat's a** about you. That being said, after speaking with the general manager (the only person at the dealership who can actually get things done in my case), I got them to throw on an mppk for no cost. They are also rebuilding my car. But, I'll tell you that it was a struggle. Took days of arguing.

Best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

just request a premium loaner...a M6 GC would be enough to placate me for a few weeks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
ab156
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: currently carless

Pretty impressed with the general positive mindset here... To me it is totally inexcusable, not that there is a fault but that he was only told an hour before scheduled delivery. Sounds like the dealer was never going to hit the committed date / time. Probably only started prepping it on the day, this is the bit that annoys me. We all have issues but lack of planning and commitment to obligations is not excusable under "shit happens" in my book.

At least you have the loaner, spend the time thinking about how the dealer is going to make it up to you.. The drive days are fun....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
docsimonm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i MY14 M Sport

Great feedback guys...

I think you are all essentially correct. It is a better thing thing that it happened pre- rather than post-delivery. And I do realise shit happens. Can't help but just make you a little nervous that they're pulling the car apart.

I have given it 24 hours and let the dealer know my dissatisfaction... I have acknowledged that it's not their fault and the wait is out of their control. I don't think it's really a dealer issue, rather than a BMW issue.

However - this is not a small purchase and it is only natural to be incredibly excited about receiving your purchase- and it's incredibly deflating to have it whisked away without a real sense of if and when you're going to get it (and if it's actually fixed or what else is wrong with it - but hey, that's the cynic in me).

I have told them that when I do finally pick up the vehicle - I want to be a happy BMW customer and not spend the next 3 years slagging them off - and left it in their hands to make sure I'm no worse off and that there is an adequate goodwill gesture to offset my negative experience. They were receptive to this, so I will see how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

These things happen. Just have a quick test of the rear seats folding down, unlocking the centre seatbelt to stow away position, no errors on dash etc. Check no damage on side and back of rear seats before driving away. Just a peace of mind check
Appreciate 0