F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Wow, the tech blows me away...
Extreme Powerhouse

12-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Wow, the tech blows me away...

As a lot of you know, my new 335i is pretty loaded. Tonight, I want to talk about HUD (Head Up Display) in conjunction with ACC (Advanced Cruise Control), DAP (Driver Assistance Pack/Package), Pro Nav, Mobile Phone, Siri and Entertainment.

So, as I said in another post, I drove some 110km today, down the length of the freeway and had 'a play'. This will be a long post.

I turned on ACC, set it to 80km/h just before I joined the conga line going thru the CBD and tried it out, with my right foot hovering over the brake. So, 80 comes up in green in the HUD on the LHS, above my actual speed, which is in white. On the RHS of the display are the NAV directions and distance to travel, in white, but the lane / intersection info is in amber which gets priority when your around 500m away. In the centre is the ACC symbol, which shows a lane diagram, with a car at the top when the radar sees one, or it's empty when there isn't one detected. This is where you also see the separation distance bars. You use the two buttons on the RH steering wheel to increase or decrease the separation distance. I had it set on 2 or 3.

When a car is detected that's doing less than your set max speed, the system slows you down and the set max speed is shown in green. You will be slowed right down to a stop, if necessary. Do NOT touch the brakes, or you cancel ACC.

If you stop for more than 2s, the ACC goes into pause mode, the green set speed goes off and the vehicle won't automatically restart moving. When the car in front starts moving, the horizontal separation bars start flashing, that's when you tap the accelerator to reinstate the set speed, the green set speed comes on and off you go, all the time maintaining the separation set. It may be 5km/h, 20km/h, or all the way up to your set speed.

If you stop for less than 2s or don't actually get to 0km/h, the car will automatically re accelerate again.

Now, if you hit the Telephone button on the steering wheel, your last calls come up, replacing the Nav info temporarily, in colour. You scroll through using the RH scroll wheel and press in to dial. If a call comes in, you see the caller and can answer or divert using same controls.

If you just use the scroll wheel, you'll see entertainment come up instead, iPod, radio, CD - whichever you have selected. You can select the next RANDOM track (yes, it is random order) you want to hear etc.

If you press the mic button briefly, you get bmw voice commands, with prompts on the HUD. If you press and hold, you get Siri (if you have an iPhone and MY14). Seems to work better than initiating via the long home button press method.

This is all just so seamless, it's like flying a bloody fighter jet. All the time, your eyes are up and looking ahead of you, not at the Nav screen, or down at the instrument panel. It is simply A W E S O M E. Can't recommend enough.

I am in IT, have been for many years and it takes a bit to wow me, but this does. It has been implemented REALLY well, was intuitive and easy to use. I will say though, my foot was hovering over the brake for a LONG time before I began to trust it.

At one point, I was doing 100km/h and the traffic slowed suddenly ahead. A double beep went off, a red flashing icon went off and I think I hit the brakes instinctively. That was, I believe, the forward collision alert firing.

I had a couple of cars jump into the gap (which was about the same as I normally drive), I was worried the system would panic stop, but it seems to calculate the relative speed and just slows you down as necessary.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it's interested someone. I WILL work out how to mount my GoPro so that it can see the HUD (it has a narrow field of view) and take some video to share. After all, a video would say it far better!

Nite, nite!
      12-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Same as my HUD with all the bells & whistles turned on, but in day to day driving, it only displays the speed, which although is nice, is also somewhat boring.

I would love to see, revs & indicator displayed at the very least.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport
Same as my HUD with all the bells & whistles turned on, but in day to day driving, it only displays the speed, which although is nice, is also somewhat boring.

I would love to see, revs & indicator displayed at the very least.
Yes, I'd like that too. BMW have decided that we must buy an M series to have that luxury, though :-( Current gear would be great too. Again, however, M series material.
      12-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Simon,

Great report. Good to see you're loving the new car.
I was particularly interested in your thoughts on the ACC. Sadly, this was an option I didn't get, but later wished I had. You have now confirmed that I should have had it installed........but you can't turn back time.
However, I do have the HUD, and like you, I absolutely love it.
Also, (I think you mentioned this in an earlier post), I have found that polarising sunglasses and the HUD do not go well together.
Like you, I wish that the HUD would show gears and revs when in manual mode, but unless we all go out and M cars, we can only hope for a software upgrade sometime down the track.
      12-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

It may be possible some of the in depth parameter changes (aka 'coding) may add to what can be seen on the HUD. I haven't looked into it, but it may be an option.

Only issue is, when there's a software update, the changes may be reset, losing the settings, as has happened to others on this forum.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

All the M stuff displayed on the HUD can't be coded. You would actually have to add the M Kombi unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003
All the M stuff displayed on the HUD can't be coded. You would actually have to add the M Kombi unit.
Yes, I determined that ages ago. However, maybe it changed with MY14! Oh, hang on, that was 4 months ago... Some things are just sent to try us...

Trust me, I will be poring over the FA data of my car with my German speaking friend :-)

Last edited by SimonB; 12-13-2013 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

Have you ever tried the adaptive high beam feature? It's amazing, works great with adaptive cruise control too, letting you use the high beams all the time, even in heavy traffic.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOBLAST View Post
Have you ever tried the adaptive high beam feature? It's amazing, works great with adaptive cruise control too, letting you use the high beams all the time, even in heavy traffic.
Very briefly, there are street lights all around where I life, except the very last street which are piss poor and it comes on. I can't wait to try on a country run at Christmas.
      12-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

It's great. I wonder why they don't have this on all the trucks. They have this enourmous wall of light but have to turn them off as soon as they meet a car on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
docsimonm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i MY14 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
If you press the mic button briefly, you get bmw voice commands, with prompts on the HUD. If you press and hold, you get Siri (if you have an iPhone and MY14). Seems to work better than initiating via the long home button press method.
Awesome... that's the best bit of unexpected news - I have seen adds on TV banging on about Siri integration in cheap japanesse cars, would be such as shame if this wasn't possible in my car that I get TOMORROW!!

Just a little excited!

Great post, slightly wished I got the ACC... would have helped control my free way road rage!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #12
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsimonm
Awesome... that's the best bit of unexpected news - I have seen adds on TV banging on about Siri integration in cheap japanesse cars, would be such as shame if this wasn't possible in my car that I get TOMORROW!!

Just a little excited!

Great post, slightly wished I got the ACC... would have helped control my free way road rage!
Enjoy tomorrow, docsimonm - I'm glad I gave you some good news! Wonder how many MY14 owners don't know?
      12-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
SimonB
Australia
Rep

I have collected some GoPro mounting gear off a mate and intend to do up some HUD videos if anyone is interested.
      12-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Simon,

Have you got around to trying the cameras mounted on the front wings at blind intersections? Although I think they're a good idea, I find it a bit painful that you have to come to a complete stop before they activate. This is something that I would love a "Coder" to help me with sometime. I'm sure with your IT background you'll be able to make these more user-friendly on your car.
      12-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus
Simon,

Have you got around to trying the cameras mounted on the front wings at blind intersections? Although I think they're a good idea, I find it a bit painful that you have to come to a complete stop before they activate. This is something that I would love a "Coder" to help me with sometime. I'm sure with your IT background you'll be able to make these more user-friendly on your car.
SteveAus, that was one option that I DIDN'T take. Much to my regret now that I know that they have side cameras too, not just the wing mirrors ones. I failed on that one and the salesman didn't tell me about the other cameras.

Anyway, I haven't seen that one in coding yet, but I haven't been looking. So, maybe it's amongst the other camera timers that I do know exist.
      12-15-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Bloody hell!........you missed an option........surely you jest, sir

Not to worry, you haven't really missed much with this one. I've found I don't use it a lot, even though I have a couple of nasty blind junctions close to where I live (the reason for getting it in the first place). Without coding to activate the cameras while doing, say ~5 km approaching a junction, I find it not that useful.

I am kicking myself that I didn't get the ACC...........green with envy after your description of it
      12-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #17
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Bloody hell!........you missed an option........surely you jest, sir
I was waiting for that. There were a couple, actually

Quote:
Not to worry, you haven't really missed much with this one. I've found I don't use it a lot, even though I have a couple of nasty blind junctions close to where I live (the reason for getting it in the first place). Without coding to activate the cameras while doing, say ~5 km approaching a junction, I find it not that useful.
Change TRSVC > 3000 > SV_Activate_Speed_Limit from werte=0F to FF and your wish will be fulfilled. That, apparently, activates side cameras at any speed. The database I looked at showed this was 'Part 1', but I can't see any othe parts.

Quote:
I am kicking myself that I didn't get the ACC...........green with envy after your description of it
I should work for BMW or get a commission now
      12-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
ironbark
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Simon,

I wonder if they have changed the default setting on that one - on my new delivery the cameras work to at least to 5/10klm an hour (haven't done a proper test yet to determine the exact cut off).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Ironbark, you may well be correct.
My car is a Jan 2013 build and the cameras on the door mirrors and reversing camera all work up to 30-40 km/hr when driving from a stop, but the cameras in the front wings will not come on while I am slowng to approach a junction. The cameras will only show the left and right video after the car has completely stoppped - safety first, perhaps, but rather annoying.....
      12-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
ironbark
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Ironbark, you may well be correct.
My car is a Jan 2013 build and the cameras on the door mirrors and reversing camera all work up to 30-40 km/hr when driving from a stop, but the cameras in the front wings will not come on while I am slowng to approach a junction. The cameras will only show the left and right video after the car has completely stoppped - safety first, perhaps, but rather annoying.....
Had a test on the way home from work, my side view cameras (the ones just forward of the front wheels) work up to 15km/hr (Oct 13 Build).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #21
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbark View Post
Had a test on the way home from work, my side view cameras (the ones just forward of the front wheels) work up to 15km/hr (Oct 13 Build).
Wow! While you're slowing down, or while you're pulling away from a standstill??
      12-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
honeybravo
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy

Hi SimonB,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Sorry for going little off the topic. Can you please share the price of the 335i and the packages that you have paid? Sorry if you have earlier shared this somewhere.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0