F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Coding in Perth
ARMA SPEED

11-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Coding in Perth

Hi there, anyone here in Perth that's familiar with coding F30's and would be willing to help me get started when my car is delivered?

I have the software, and the cable just need to get a token and install it. I am going to be running it on a MacBook Pro, under Parallels. So, if you have your own laptop it would probably help

I just need a bit of a tutorial and maybe some assistance with installing. Located NoR (not far north).

Cheers,

Simon....
      11-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
csemaa
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 2015 xDrive 35i

Simon - did you get any help coding your F30?
I have a 2012 F30 and i am looking to change some codes on my F30 but i don't even know where to start. let me know if you can help
thanks
Chehade
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csemaa View Post
Simon - did you get any help coding your F30?
I have a 2012 F30 and i am looking to change some codes on my F30 but i don't even know where to start. let me know if you can help
Chehade, I'd be happy to help if you fly me to Ottawa! . Seriously though, there is a lot of info in the coding forum and I'm sure you'll find someone a little closer to you than me. I'm just looking for a shortcut, as I'm a practical learner rather than a theoretical one!
      11-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I'll be there (Ottawa not Perth) in July and i would be happy to help
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
csemaa
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 2015 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I'll be there (Ottawa not Perth) in July and i would be happy to help
HFW003 - thank you for the offer but i am looking to do this soon. i might have somebody local that i can contact but not sure. working it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
SimonB
Australia
Rep

LOL, good one HFW003

Canada's on my list of places to go, but it's not on the radar in the short term.
      11-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Simon: the key is now $70 for 3 years (i think). Might be worth just buying the key. Coding-wise you can ask people in the Australian forum for the excel spreadsheet for the changes they have done. This will be a lot easier than reading all the pages in the coding section
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #8
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Simon I'd be happy to help where I can, it really isn't hard mate.

Here's my list, whilst it's not exhaustive it is most stuff and everything I wanted to look at.

I also saw someone had done a video tutorial on here somewhere.

H
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HFW Coding.pdf (35.0 KB, 6729 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Thanks HFW003 and Sephanite, I have a Google Docs file with lots of detail, plus there are various others around. It's not the coding that I am dubious of my skills about it's the install and config of the software.

I've got the pack off shawnsheridan and it's, to be frank, quite daunting when you start reading through all of the doco

I just installed Parallels on my MacBook today, so I will have a go this weekend and see if I can read the setup of the loaner if I can, I will be confident having a go at coding mine.

Anyway, as I said, I will have a go.

Where did you guys get your tokens? There's a new guy on the coding forum, heard anything?
      11-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

the PM "shawnsheridan" (currently the main guy helping on the coding thread - he's v.helpful with questions too) He can share the location of the software and point you to someone else to get the token.

Coding-wise it's definitely not as hard as it appears. Most of the things are just valid values you can toggle between. In most instances, it's just changing things between not active to active. You can try most things if your adventurous and if you get stuck on what certain options are (cos they're in German) you can usually google translate them to get a fair idea what the option is for.

Most common things seem to be ASS off, disclaimers off, door handle lights on when in reverse gear, rear DRLs on, "triple blink indicators" to blink more than 3 times...

As well as the coding thread, you can always ask for help here in our local forum too
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #11
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Spikey, thanks. I'm aware of all of the above and I have the e-Sys package from Shawn already. When I opened it last time, the 1811 files were a bit daunting, to say the least and I had NFI where to start. Shawn's an incredibly busy guy and I don't want to bother him via PM with silly questions, so, not yet having the car, I gave up at the time.

Now, being a couple of months older and certainly a lot wiser, I have just had another look and found a couple of what appear to be key documents, the main one being "E-Sys - Installation Instructions - v4.txt" and a couple of the PDF's, so I have printed them out.

My first stumbling block was, what the hell is E-Sys and PSdzData and did I need to download both and install both? Now I know the answer, it's yes and no (yes to download both and no, you just need to install the former and extract the latter as per the instructions) - so, we are getting somewhere

Now, Shawn's server is down, so I can't grab the PSdzData files just yet, but I will ASAP.

It'd be far easier if someone wrote a installation guide that was sent out with the codes and download locations, you were told "E-Sys" is the program that you install and "PSdzData" is the data to go along with that program, but I guess I could do that

Anyway, expect a few more questions in here as I go! And, thanks.

PS: Thankfully, I'm not alone, courtesy of two members who PM'd me in response to this
      11-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #12
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Okay, so I've spent the last 2 days downloading the PSDzData files, as per the links from Shawn Sheridan and then got into it this morning.

Sheez - it may be 'simple', but keeping track of the 2 lots of .rar files, (the app itself and the data) the extracted, combined files (over 22GB) and then installing and copying it into the right locations was fun enough.

But I then got on to the Mac side of it, installing under Parallels and Win 7. Finally, a couple of hours later and after getting myself tied up in knots several times, all seemed to be done and the software running.

So, now to get the Mac playing nicely with the cable, via a thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter I'd read about setting the VM Ethernet config to Bridge mode, so I had found where to do that even though it was different software. However, I couldn't get the test program to recognize the car's Ethernet connection, whatever I tried. Luckily, my Windows skills from years ago showed me that the Ethernet port under Win 7 wasn't active, so some fiddling in Parallels later, I found the option to enable the Ethernet port and voila!

So, we were now up and running, or so I thought. The token that I have (borrowed from another forum member, purely for testing purposes, seriously - I have always intended buying a valid token, but only when my car arrives) fails to work properly. It's seeing it, tries to load and then fails. So, I will buy a token tonight and see if that fixes it.

I also have problems with font sizes and screen resolution on the Mac, but that's something that I think may be retina involved, I'll have to have a bigger fiddle and a chat to some gurus on Whirlpool for that.

Nearly there.
      11-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

wow, sounds like you've been through a lot to get things running. Hope things get easier from here on in.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
wow, sounds like you've been through a lot to get things running. Hope things get easier from here on in.
Thanks Spikey, had a win today, but then 2 steps backwards.

I bought a token off ************** that doesn't require patching and I successfully 'read' the car.

The steps backwards is that I am using a retina MacBook Pro and the fonts in the Java app, E-Sys, are all wrong and some text is too big for the text boxes etc. From what I've been told, this is due to the way Parallels scales to cater for the DPI of the Retina screen.

So, it's too dangerous to continue and I've stopped to regroup, think about how I will code etc. Maybe a cheap netbook is the way to go.
      11-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
ausrallydoc
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Thanks Spikey, had a win today, but then 2 steps backwards.

I bought a token off ************** that doesn't require patching and I successfully 'read' the car.

The steps backwards is that I am using a retina MacBook Pro and the fonts in the Java app, E-Sys, are all wrong and some text is too big for the text boxes etc. From what I've been told, this is due to the way Parallels scales to cater for the DPI of the Retina screen.

So, it's too dangerous to continue and I've stopped to regroup, think about how I will code etc. Maybe a cheap netbook is the way to go.
Hey Simon, I have a MBP with retina display but have not installed Windoze. The resolution of the display is scalable in the Mac OS environment, but I am not sure whether that extends into Parallels or not. If this is not an option, I would agree with a cheap netbook as your coding computer.

Matt
      11-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Simon, from what I understand plenty of guys are using Mac to run the system on so you emus be able to do it.

I know very little about doing it, sorry I can't help.

I would send Shawn a PM though, I'm sure he would be able to sort you.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
SimonB
Australia
Rep

We're all good guys, copied the VM to my MacBook Air, non retina and all is sweet. Just trying to do a simple code now… Just need to find that damned reference document!
      11-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #18
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Guys, okay, I am stuck and need a hand thru the next step.

I've connected using the F020 profile, done a 'Read SVT Actual from VCM', done a 'Read Coding Data' from each CAFD file and they've all expanding into folders, but I can't, for the bloody life of me, work out where the buggers are hidden that I want to code!

For example, I want to code LEGAL_DISCLAIMER for the NAV off, the cheat sheet says module HU_CIC, doesn't exist that I can see.

However, I have found the CMB_MEDIA one for the Inband Ringing.

Okay, as I am typing this, I have worked out that the cheat sheet I was using was of the CIC equipped cars, not the NBT equipped cars, so I looked in HU_CHAMP and found what appears to be the legal disclaimer timeout, set to FF, which is permanent, I assume.

How the f**k am I supposed to know all this??

Can anyone who's coded an F30, 2014 model give me some help as to where and what the settings are to code:

Nav Legal Disclaimer off
ASS settings remembered
Change intermittent indicator from 3 flashes to, say, 6

or, send me a PDF or something that's accurate for the F30 2014?

What a weekend. I must be bloody thick…

The attachment below is just to show what modules I have and that I have done the right thing so far, I think. Once I did this, I copied the \E-SysData\CAF directory somewhere else, as I gather this is the original settings that I can use to restore if I screw it up. Correct?
Attached Images

11-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #19
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

ASS settings remembered = right click on the yellow CAFD file in the above screen shot and choose edit FDL. Then in the new window that just launches, navigate to "3023 TcMaster2" expand it out and search for TCM_MSA_MEMORY. Expand that out, then expand the folder under it and change nicht_aktiv to aktiv by right click and changing via selection. Then Save... go back activate FA, then go back to the fdl file and select code fdl..

in a nut shell thats how to code remember last ASS
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

For Nav legal disclaimer, it'd be similar... go to HU_CHAMP, edit fdl, expand 3001 folder, search for LEGAL_DISCLAIMER_TIME and change to "kein_ld" for off
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #21
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Thanks very much Spikey, I'll gave a go in an hour or so. My brain needs to recharge!
      11-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #22
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

All good Simon~! first time coding is the most fun~!
Appreciate 0