F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > BMW issues
Extreme Powerhouse

10-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Scoupe
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Mineral white M240

BMW issues

Hi Guys
Having negotiated a decent deal on a 328i M sport after owning a Subaru for over 10 trouble free years, and (not so) patiently waiting the arrival of the new car, I'm amazed at the level of problems / issues plaguing owners of this prestige marque. Steering rack noises, rusting seats, brake failures and more.

I have always purchased new vehicles to ensure a level of reliability and warranty, even my partner's base level Hyundai has had zero issues and the service has been outstanding.

The 'Ultimate Driving Machine' they may be, but do BMW vehicles really deserve the reputation of being a quality product and equal the best the world has to offer.

For me , I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanovich View Post
I'm amazed at the level of problems / issues plaguing owners of this prestige marque. Steering rack noises, rusting seats, brake failures and more.
Not to take away anything from those people who unfortunately have issues - ongoing or otherwise, how many cars do you know about with such issues as compared with the number of cars without?

Yes, people will complain about their not so well made cars - and rightly so - if they are not meeting expectations. However, what you don't read about on these forums, is how many people have cars, which don't have any issues.

It's an unfortunate fact of life, even in 2013, we have manufacturing errors. Do remember, BMW is still a mass produced car and a certain percentage will be flawed.

The real question is what will BMW do to alleviate these issues as quickly and as fuss free (or with a minimum of fuss) as possible, keeping customer inconvenience to a minimum?

All mass produced cars will have a percentage of problems. Your Subaru was one of the well made cars of the line, as was your partner's Hyundai, but it probably wouldn't take very long to find a number of disgruntled Subaru & Hyundai owners who bought flawed cars.

Thankfully, my 328i is one of the cars, which was well made, allowing for the slim possibility of brake failure, news of which was recently released and will be the subject of a (near) future recall.

In addition, my wife drives a 2003 Mercedes C180k, a model (W203), which had electrical issues. Thankfully, her car was also well made and has not suffered from any electrical issue other than a blown tail light and is still a great workhorse after all these years.

Don't forget, you are on a website, which is setup to discuss faults & flaws as part of the overall discussion topics.

Unfortunately, there is still the element of 'luck' in buying an issue free mass produced car today, but as I mentioned above, it's how the manufacturer responds to any and all issues, which will be the real test.

Best wishes for your 328i being in the flawless category.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
As you have said, several issues (some quite serious) have become apparent with F30's owned by members of this forum. But I wonder what percentage of all BMW owners actually have these issues. I'm sure there are many owners who have not had issues with their BMW's, as I am also sure that there are many owners of other marques that have experienced problems with there cars (how many times have Toyota made world-wide recalls?). Vehicles are designed and built by humans (with the aid of computers and robots). Humans are not perfect. Thus, cars will never be perfect.

However, BMW is generally better than the majority of mass produced car manufacturers.

I am fortunate as, on the whole, my 335 seems to be pretty good. The only minor issue I have had with it was with the boot as it was not fitted correctly at the factory and the lower edge of the boot marked the paint on the ledge of the bumber. Also, the boot would not lift open on its own when activated. Marks polished out, boot realigned, boot springs adjusted - easy fix.

You may think this is a quality control issue in South Africa, but I had a similar fitment problem with my M3 built in Germay - doors and bonnet fitments were not perfect (annoying, but was rectified without fuss).

To me, my issues are minor and do not compare with steering and suspension issues. I feel for the guys who have these issues and really hope that they can be satisfactorily rectified. It is very disappointing that these important vehicle components have not been properly sorted by BMW. I am quite shocked that BMW has not yet found a solution.

I have owned new BMW's since the late 1990's and have not experienced major problems. I have had only two mechanical issues in the past..............a sticking throttle cable on a 540 Schnitzer and a failure of a High Pressure Fuel Pump on my wife's Mini Cooper S (does the Mini count as a BMW?).

In general, I would say that BMW's are well built. Yes, they are expensive, but they are innovative, comfortable, exciting, and the way they drive is a real joy. You just have to love those engines!!
      10-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
David328,

You must have hit your send button, just before me!! Almost identical posts!!
      10-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
macca1410
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Mineral Grey

I agree with Steve and David above. There are plenty of cars much more expensive than ours that still have issues. It is all up to how they are handled. A lot of cheaper cars do not have the issues because they either do not have as many features, so less to go wrong or are not pushing their engines and dynamics as progressively as BMW.

The F30 is my first BMW and a big step up from my previous car (last car was a 10 year old Suabaru Liberty) that I had from new with no issues. Well I thought had none until I drove an F30 and realised just how bad it was. It had rattles, the seat was shocking, the cabin noise was loud etc. I just had not noticed these things or thought anything of them until I drove an F30. I personally love it but have little long term experience in cars of this level so just my novice opinion.

I think we buy a perceived luxury car and expect more than in reality is in ine with a car of this price level. We are affectively buying it for the driving experience which I think meets most expectations. Okay the badge does add to the price but we all know that and accept it in Australia or we would all be driving Japanese/South Korean cars.

I just think we need a reality check, even $300k cars have issues. Be happy with what you have and if not sell it and buy something else. I am concerned about the brake issue but have the BMW Driving Experience this Thursday and will be telling the dealers on site how I want this rectified asap. Their response will ultimately impact my view of the brands customer service. Will wait until then.

Most people will probably disagree with this post but hey it is a free world and this is my opinion. Best of luck to all.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
David328,

You must have hit your send button, just before me!! Almost identical posts!!
1332 vs 1358
Almost the same time, give or take 26 minutes. lol
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca1410 View Post
even $300k cars have issues.
Contrary to what Megafactories (great TV series, by the way, voiced by the best in the business, Tony Hirst. But that's off topic) might lead us to believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

most of the complains are minor, and most of us will live with it until they become a real issue and new production generally will fix the issues once the bug/issue is addressed.

I don't have any steering nor rusty seat issues. Wind noise happens on every car, regardless how much it is sealed. The thing is to get the car that you want from your first impression, get it and enjoy it. Same for everything else.

Well i do complain dust and dog hair! :-) not a big deal.

Ordered Due August 2017: 2017 Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TFSI Quattro MY17 S-Line, Exclusive Nogaro Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Scoupe
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Mineral white M240

Thanks for all the replies Guys,
It's reassuring to hear its not all 'doom & gloom'
And your comments put the situation into perspective.
My end November delivery is now a bit more exciting.
Thanks
Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I'd suggest many on this forum are also enthusiasts to a greater or lesser extent and are more likely to be either critical of issues that would be overlooked by others, or not even noticed by many.

Most people who are enjoying their car either don't often take the time to write a "I love my car" thread too and psychologically we weight bad news greater than good of equal proportion.

After a healthy dram of Laguvlin what I think I'm trying to say is I reckon you'll enjoy your car when it turns up, don't get hung up on anything you don't even know is an issue for you yet!

Welcome to the F30post support group for new owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder

Garage List
Sometimes, you have to overlook the minor imperfections when a car is this good. Personally, I have rusty seats and brakes but thats not going to stop me loving the car.

During delivery, I pointed the rust to the salesman, he claimed it was caused by a protection sealant used during transportation of the vehicle and would disappear after driving it. I think its most likely BS but that's OK.

No car is perfect, whether it's massed produced or bespoke. As long as it runs and no impairment to all of its functions, small problems can be overlooked. The F30 is a delightful car to own.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

Sorry I did complain for mine!
I ordered in April and specified to deliver my car in end of September but it arrived in first week of August!
Why coz sept delivery would be the my14 but it is a custom built so my13 for June production. Got used to it whinge and move on.

Ordered Due August 2017: 2017 Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TFSI Quattro MY17 S-Line, Exclusive Nogaro Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I have been lucky enough to own two F30's, the second (current) one is much better than the first as I have the sports seats and the upgraded suspension.

I have had no issues whatsoever with either car and I love my current one. It handles well, is extremely comfortable, goes like the clappers when you want to, save fuel when you want and overall it is a great car to drive.

I would recommend the car to anyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
GT1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

The elephant in the room - F30 quality

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...light=elephant
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
1332 vs 1358
Almost the same time, give or take 26 minutes. lol
hehehe......ok, ok..........you're totally right. I didn't realise it took me so long to write that reply.
But at least the sentiment of the posts are very similar
      10-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Not what you were saying the other day, or are you being sarcastic lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I have been lucky enough to own two F30's, the second (current) one is much better than the first as I have the sports seats and the upgraded suspension.

I have had no issues whatsoever with either car and I love my current one. It handles well, is extremely comfortable, goes like the clappers when you want to, save fuel when you want and overall it is a great car to drive.

I would recommend the car to anyone!
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:23 AM   #17
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
Not what you were saying the other day, or are you being sarcastic lol
No, no, no, no!

Please don't misinterpret what I wrote the other day mate, at no point did I say I didn't like the car.

Just so we are clear, I love the car!

The issues I have had were not about the build quality or performance of the car, the issue was with the lying, cheating stealer and then the fact that BMW Australia stuck their head in the sand and wouldn't (couldn't)do a thing.

Now we have also had the issue with the vacuum on the brakes. This was/is a potentially dangerous situation and they again stick their head in the sand and say, even though it's a worldwide issue, ( in my best Shultz accent), I know nussssssing!

I for one will never buy another BMW and I will tell everyone I can about what happened.

Hopefully that clears up where I stand.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #18
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Quote:
No, no, no, no!

Please don't misinterpret what I wrote the other day mate, at no point did I say I didn't like the car.

The issues I have had were not about the build quality or performance of the car, the issue was with the lying, cheating stealer and then the fact that BMW Australia stuck their head in the sand and wouldn't (couldn't)do a thing.

Now we have also had the issue with the vacuum on the brakes. This was/is a potentially dangerous situation and they again stick their head in the sand and say, even though it's a worldwide issue, ( in my best Shultz accent), I know nussssssing!

I for one will never buy another BMW and I will tell everyone I can about what happened.

H I am not sure how you can recommend the car to everyone but never buy another BMW again. I am sure it's just not reading write and I think I understand where you are coming from though
      10-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #19
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Simply put mate, because of the "performance" of the stealer and then the Head Office I wouldn't do it. I am a big grudge holder!

I love the car and I would have no hesitation recommending anyone to buy one and in fact I have already done so.

Actually it was to the client I visited the time I met you and Drk280 down the coast. He was looking to buy a new car and I happily recommended the car to him.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #20
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Hahaha all good, was just curious.. although I do see your point and with me, the jury is still out on my relationship..

Although Auto Classic have been bending over backwards lately for me, which is good :P

Quote:
No, no, no, no!

Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #21
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Did your car have this issue, which happened whilst it was being driven? If so, very, very serious. If not, are you referring to the now worldwide recall?

Thing is, BMW Australia will acknowledge an issue when they have proof positive. Now they have and will do something about it shortly. I'm sure you have read the initial thread, explaining BMW were devising a fix by early November.

Quote:
Sorry you feel this way. I for one, have owned 4 BMWs since 1992 and haven't had any major inconveniences with any of them. It really is - most unfortunately for some - the luck (or bad luck) of the draw.

I must say that the soon to be released (2014) W205 C-Class Mercedes is one very impressive looking car, with some serious technology included. Might be something to consider if BMW don't satisfy your expectations. I expect the models will be very competitively priced, considering Mercedes' recent pricing structures.

Hope BMW attend to your issues. No BMW owner like to see another BMW owner unhappy with their car or dealer or head office.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #22
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
hehehe......ok, ok..........you're totally right. I didn't realise it took me so long to write that reply.
But at least the sentiment of the posts are very similar
Yep. Cheers!!!
Appreciate 0