10-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Piano Black - BMW Individual

Hi.
I'm thinking of specifying Piano Black interior trim to go with the Ivory White/Black Dakota Leather interior.
I wondered how hard warring, scratch resistant the material is.
It seems to be the only black option available.
Anyone have any good/bad experiences with this option?
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

I can't speak to the scratch resistance, but keep in mind that there is already a shiny black trim piece right below where the piano black insert would go. It might look strange with all that shiny black material on the dashboard. Does the BMW UK configurator show you what it will look like?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I can't speak to the scratch resistance, but keep in mind that there is already a shiny black trim piece right below where the piano black insert would go. It might look strange with all that shiny black material on the dashboard. Does the BMW UK configurator show you what it will look like?
Hi. Yes I used the configuration tool and I think it looks ok. There is a strip of metal between the two so I think it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

It looks nice. But it is easy to induce swirls. When I was cleaning mine, it was a new towel and somehow it scratched the trim very slightly. Had to buff it out.

Maintenance is a biotch. It looks good for maybe 4-5 days after cleaning but as soon as you open that window, dust attracts to the trim like crazy and looks bad. Wood will be able to hide this. Same with aluminum if you decide to go Msport.

Verdict:
If you clean it often, just make sure the microfiber cloth is debris free, then by all means.
If you don't do an interior cleaning often, it's gonna look bad.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
It looks nice. But it is easy to induce swirls. When I was cleaning mine, it was a new towel and somehow it scratched the trim very slightly. Had to buff it out.

Maintenance is a biotch. It looks good for maybe 4-5 days after cleaning but as soon as you open that window, dust attracts to the trim like crazy and looks bad. Wood will be able to hide this. Same with aluminum if you decide to go Msport.

Verdict:
If you clean it often, just make sure the microfiber cloth is debris free, then by all means.
If you don't do an interior cleaning often, it's gonna look bad.
Good advice, thanks John. Looks like its back to the Aluminium!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Good advice, thanks John. Looks like its back to the Aluminium!
I thought about this too. Have piano in x6 and all of the above is true, still i will take it again for sure. Seen cars with aluminium with scartched surfaces, it scratches also, the dust part, yes you will see it more but it takes a minute to wipe it. To each his own, but i think aluminium looks nots as good for the x5 as the piano. Was concerned that it would be too much with the dark black shiny trim in the middle but i've looked at at the dealer with two other people and all said piano still looks best (with terra, leather dash and ceramic). Alu sticks out too much, wish they brought in a recent trim option available on the x6, looks better, still alu but darker. Having said all of the above, initially wanted to go hexagon but my wife hated it .
Appreciate 0