BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews > Manuals, Brochures, Guides, Bulletins, Documentation.

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
lxada269
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Dealership won't give me free oil

My 2011 M3 is still under the 50k mile warranty, but when I went in to get topped off with oil (as you all know, they can burn oil in between oil changes), they said they won't do it unless I purchased the car from them. Are they allowed to do this?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
blazgus
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 charcoal gray

I think they must take in every car that's under the warranty. They get paid by BMW in that case anyway. I don't see any reason for them to behave in described manner. Though I have seen some strange behavior from dealership people before. I would try some other place, where people are more polite, if that's convenient where you are, or talk to the general manager.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazgus View Post
I think they must take in every car that's under the warranty. They get paid by BMW in that case anyway. I don't see any reason for them to behave in described manner. Though I have seen some strange behavior from dealership people before. I would try some other place, where people are more polite, if that's convenient where you are, or talk to the general manager.
I have heard/experienced similar stuff from dealers before.

One of the dealers in Houston won't give you a loaner car unless the car you have was originally purchased from them. (as far as I know they don't care if you are the 2nd 3rd 4th owner but the car has to be purchased from them)

It's a YMMV thing I would say.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
martini
Private
Rep

I believe they are supposed to top it off, regardless of where you bought it. A buddy of mine bought an M3 from a private sale and went to the dealer for his fluids topped off. No questions about where he bought it from. He drove up, they topped it off, and then he drove off
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

It comes down to how angry the dealer makes you, really. If you're like me, when the dealer tells you no on something they should be doing (loaners, oil, etc), the next call is to BMWNA. You would be surprised just how quickly they will intervene, call the dealership, etc... At this point I've got my local dealership so scared they basically bend over backwards at every turn to meet my requests because they know I'll just call BMWNA and screw them over (read: bad reviews, complaints, etc) if they mess up.

These BMW dealers live and die by customer feedback, if they get poor marks, they lose money from BMWNA, and they don't want that.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
blazgus
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 charcoal gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by W12x View Post
I have heard/experienced similar stuff from dealers before.

One of the dealers in Houston won't give you a loaner car unless the car you have was originally purchased from them. (as far as I know they don't care if you are the 2nd 3rd 4th owner but the car has to be purchased from them)

It's a YMMV thing I would say.

I tend to agree with that. I bought a used e90 for my wife a year ago at a dinky used car dealership. First thing, I brought the car to a legit dealership as it was still under the warranty and did a complete check. They were very nice and polite, brought everything to compliance and I didn't pay a dime. I just would find a more professional and tolerant place. Or talk to their manager. In my experience higher up people are always more understanding. They see you as a business, while the tech guys see you according to their personal issues and paychecks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M760xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
It comes down to how angry the dealer makes you, really. If you're like me, when the dealer tells you no on something they should be doing (loaners, oil, etc), the next call is to BMWNA. You would be surprised just how quickly they will intervene, call the dealership, etc... At this point I've got my local dealership so scared they basically bend over backwards at every turn to meet my requests because they know I'll just call BMWNA and screw them over (read: bad reviews, complaints, etc) if they mess up.

These BMW dealers live and die by customer feedback, if they get poor marks, they lose money from BMWNA, and they don't want that.
lol the BMWNA threat works alot. Having worked in the dealership world for 5+ years before ACM, I know very well how people react
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@AUTOcouture View Post
lol the BMWNA threat works alot. Having worked in the dealership world for 5+ years before ACM, I know very well how people react

My first taste was during my ED with my production number. I called the dealership for over a week asking for it, they kept putting me off. Called BMWNA, and right there on the phone with the BMWNA rep, puts me on hold, calls my dealership, and comes back on the line with me, production number in hand. Grand total about 5 minutes
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
lxada269
Rep

hmm, I'll have to try calling BMWNA next time. Dealer has done same thing with loaner - won't give me a loaner since i didnt purchase from them. Unfortunately, the other dealership is across town.

What number should i call - 1-800-831-1117? I got it from:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/ContactUs/
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

I was told I should get a loaner no matter which dealer I go in for service when I took delivery of the car. I haven't any trouble getting a loaner in NNJ, but looks like forum members from other parts of the country are having different experiences. It's BS.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@AUTOcouture View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

FWIW, my E93 was a military sales purchase delivered in Germany and was recently serviced out or warranty by its third dealer (military moves) and they still gave me a free liter for the trunk.

It was my first time ever visiting this dealer and I was in for a deeply discounted oil change (great coupon) and they still threw an extra liter in after asking for it. Heck, I even declined their attempt to upsell a spark plug change, so there was little profit for them in the transaction.

Sounds like your current dealer are a buch of tightwads.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
FWIW, my E93 was a military sales purchase delivered in Germany and was recently serviced out or warranty by its third dealer (military moves) and they still gave me a free liter for the trunk.

It was my first time ever visiting this dealer and I was in for a deeply discounted oil change (great coupon) and they still threw an extra liter in after asking for it. Heck, I even declined their attempt to upsell a spark plug change, so there was little profit for them in the transaction.

Sounds like your current dealer are a buch of tightwads.
i recently went to my local dealer to buy a bottle for the trunk. I walked in and asked for 10w-60, the guy looked out the window and saw my car parked out front, went and got a bottle and just handed it to me and said have a nice day. And this wasn't even through service, it was the parts department. I can't believe some dealers would be so stingy as to not even top off your car that needs oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
M3Pedal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
Had this happen on both of our 2008 and 2011 335i's before their first oil changes. Oil was low before scheduled oil change interval. Was near dealer, stopped and asked for a top off. Was told its not scheduled maintenance so its not covered. They filled it, but they charged me for the oil. This was the dealer we bought the cars from. It was a couple bucks for the oil so I didn't argue. If I had to argue for a couple of dollars they clearly don't want my business. I took the 2011 just to see if they had improved their service in 3 years, nope, same bs. Lets just say our 2014 335 is on order with Steve Thomas not the prior dealer we had bought 4 cars from.

Regardless of dealer intelligence (smart ones would just fill it), you would think BMW would cover oil fills and force the dealers to comply.
      09-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

That's the problem, BMW does not enforce standards of service within their dealer network. It's the reason why my dealer happily tops off my oil and another dealer won't. It's why service in general is so spotty at BMW dealers across the US....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #16
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

So let me get this straight. So long as you're within the 4yr/50k miles, you may come in just to add oil for top-offs?

I have two, 1qt bottle in the trunk just in case!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
So let me get this straight. So long as you're within the 4yr/50k miles, you may come in just to add oil for top-offs?

I have two, 1qt bottle in the trunk just in case!
Yes, depending on the dealer. I too carry oil in the trunk just in case but my dealer will top up if I drop in. Most time I use the quart in the trunk and then next time I'm close to the dealer I stop in and they give me a quart for free which goes back in the trunk. No questions asked. Is it a big deal, no. If they did not offer free top ups I would happily pay for a quart now and then. That is simply the price of poker in owning an M3...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

wait... dealers give free oil? here dealer won't give us free air !
      09-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

To the OP can you name the dealer please? I have been to different dealers here in my county to top off and no issues. And if I were denied the top off, I would not leave until they did it. It would fall under the maint plan/warranty. They really have to do it. A simple call to NA or the service manager would take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

OP: I think "technically" BMW's warranty/maintenance plan does not cover top off's. I've heard of a few dealers pulling that on M owners locally.

I'm sure if you speak to the service director they will take care of it, knowing if they don't you'll take your business to another dealer who will
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #21
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I've gotten topped off at dealership I didn't buy the car from. They don't even check to see if it's under warranty. In fact, the valet guys just come out with a funnel and the oil and do it right there on the drive way.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Lulz @ M3 owners who won't pay to buy a quart of oil...Talk about cheap bastards!

The idea that you're entitled to it too...

Eye-opening thread, thanks OP.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0