F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Retrofitting missed options
Extreme Powerhouse

09-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
macca1410
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Mineral Grey

Retrofitting missed options

Looking at retrofitting options that I wish I got when I purchased my 2013 328i M Sport. In particular rear camera or even surround view.

I also only got business nav, can this be replaced with pro nav?

Just wondering if anyone has had these sorts of retrofits done (or any others because I might get others done) and if they have any recommendations on places to shop not only for parts but know if anyone installs them in Sydney.

I got a quote for a rear view camera from Bimmernav in Qld but no point me getting it if no one in Sydney insalls them because I am useless at that stuff.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

I have the reversing camera. No big deal, really. First thing when reversing, look around. Don't trust the camera only. Next, it is a fairly poor quality camera (not BMW's finest option) in the old style 4x3 with a fisheye lens instead of a proper widescreen camera. Nonetheless, I do use it from time to time.

Pro Nav may be a super challenge, if at all possible. Be interested to know if it is possible to upgrade. Certainly wasn't with the E9X.

Best wishes with your upgrades.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I would suggest checking the coding page to see if someone has details on what needs to be turned on, or contact Shawn. If the answer is no, it will be a hit n miss even if you get the extra options retrofitted.

Hardware-wise a good start is realoem.com and do a side by side comparison of parts codes with a car with pro nav and without. I have pro nav. Pm me if u need my VIN
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

There would be codong involved to get the Pro Nav to work, but it is pretty easy to do.

You would have to change the VO, take out the code for the Bus Nav and add in the Pro Nav code.

I have seen pro nav's for sale but I can't recall where, sorry.

H
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Here are two places you can purchase the actual hardware and from what I remember they can also do the required coding remotely.

H

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-f30-2012

http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...ry&path=78_140
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
macca1410
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks heaps for your help / advice guys, much appreciated. Will look into a few of those options and keep you posted.

I saw some Youtube video where in Japan a guy was retrofitting Pro Nav. Did look like quite a big job but I think it is possible. Only problem is I live in Aus.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

When there is a will, there is a way. Grab as much info as you can and hopefully you don't require to saw like my z4
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
AdrianB
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 125i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Here are two places you can purchase the actual hardware and from what I remember they can also do the required coding remotely.

H

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-f30-2012

http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...ry&path=78_140
I emailed bimmerretrofit because i have been looking into doing this on my 2012 125. I wanted to do the NBT option but because of my build they said i wouldnt get 100% functionality, so they suggested the CIC instead in which case i would. Price was $2599 Canadian, around $2700 Australian. I dont beleive this included shipping but did include all access codes and remote coding. They mentioned in their return email that because i wanted album art and bluetooth audio streaming they could do this with the existing combox in the car with coding. Given these are the main options i want and i cant get the new NBT system for my car, do you know H if this is possible to do and anywhere i might be able to find out how to enable these features?
Thanks
Adrian
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
BMW_F30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 2013

I retrofit the OEM reversing camera in my 2013 F30. See here:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873744

Be careful, some retrofits being sold are not using OEM parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
macca1410
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F30 View Post
I retrofit the OEM reversing camera in my 2013 F30. See here:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873744

Be careful, some retrofits being sold are not using OEM parts.
Thanks heaps for this great write up. I have recieved a quote for the parts and it is good to hear you are happy with the camera.

Still I am very limited in my experience with this sort of stuff and do not feel confident I could do what you did. I need to find someone who is willing to install for me if I get the parts. I have no doubt I would make matters worse if I attempted this on my own.

Thanks again good work.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianB View Post
Given these are the main options i want and i cant get the new NBT system for my car, do you know H if this is possible to do and anywhere i might be able to find out how to enable these features?
Thanks
Adrian
Hello Adrian,

The simple answer is, yes, you can code enhance bluetooth. You just have to change the VO and a couple of other things and Robert's your brothers uncle!

With saying that though, it is not something I have done nor have I even looked at it as I ordered it with my car.

If you do a search in the coding section on "enhanced bluetooth" I'm positive you will find a couple of threads on it.

Let me know if you need any help!

Be safe.

H
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

How much were the oarts for the reverse camera? I don't mind pulling my car apart
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
AdrianB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003
Quote:
Given these are the main options i want and i cant get the new NBT system for my car, do you know H if this is possible to do and anywhere i might be able to find out how to enable these features?
Thanks
Adrian
Hello Adrian,

The simple answer is, yes, you can code enhance bluetooth. You just have to change the VO and a couple of other things and Robert's your brothers uncle!

With saying that though, it is not something I have done nor have I even looked at it as I ordered it with my car.

If you do a search in the coding section on "enhanced bluetooth" I'm positive you will find a couple of threads on it.

Let me know if you need any help!

Be safe.

H
Thanks H
I'm very keen to give it a go despite the fact I'm pretty useless with this type of thing so will do some research into coding as a whole. I unfortunately bought this car whilst it was it was on a boat and didn't have time to wait to order with the essentials as I see them. To make matters worse my wife's new 3 series has the nbt pro nav with extended connectivity so it annoys me no end every time I get out of that car into mine !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

You'll be right mate!

The coding is very easy to do so I wouldn't worry to much about that.

You could always come for a drive in a northerly direction if you want someone to look at it for you. From memory there is also someone in Sydney who could code it for you. Failing that I am in Sydney at least once or twice a month and would happily do it.

H
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

Best to check your part number for the bluetooth before coding
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #16
UB
Private
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Thanks H
I'm very keen to give it a go despite the fact I'm pretty useless with this type of thing so will do some research into coding as a whole. I unfortunately bought this car whilst it was it was on a boat and didn't have time to wait to order with the essentials as I see them. To make matters worse my wife's new 3 series has the nbt pro nav with extended connectivity so it annoys me no end every time I get out of that car into mine !!!
Adrian do you have Business Nav?

I've been unsuccessful in trying to code in Extended Bluetooth on my F31 with Business Nav. Was hoping that even with just the basic Nav, my car would at least have a Combox (requirement for Extended Bluetooth) but looks like that's not the case.

It's possible my attempt at coding was done incorrectly
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #17
AdrianB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB
Quote:
Thanks H
Adrian do you have Business Nav?

I've been unsuccessful in trying to code in Extended Bluetooth on my F31 with Business Nav. Was hoping that even with just the basic Nav, my car would at least have a Combox (requirement for Extended Bluetooth) but looks like that's not the case.

It's possible my attempt at coding was done incorrectly
I do have business nav, and according to bimmer retrofit when I gave them my vin I do have a combox. They said that because I did have one it would be fairly simple to code in the Bluetooth streaming and album art. I don't know how to tell looking at my vehicle specs on the vin decoder how they would know. I think the option I have is 6nh.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #18
UB
Private
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
I do have business nav, and according to bimmer retrofit when I gave them my vin I do have a combox. They said that because I did have one it would be fairly simple to code in the Bluetooth streaming and album art. I don't know how to tell looking at my vehicle specs on the vin decoder how they would know. I think the option I have is 6nh.
Really? I've got the 6NH - Hands-free with USB interface too...

Hmm I need to ask someone about this and try again
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #19
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

6NH is the correct option and it is replaced, by coding, to 6NK.

H
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #20
AdrianB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003
6NH is the correct option and it is replaced, by coding, to 6NK.

H
Thanks for the clarification H, I'm going to look for relevant threads as to how to get started , but thanks for the offer of assistance. I may very well need it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #21
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I've just had a very quick look at a couple of threads and it appears you have to have option 609 (pro nav) to VO code 6NH to 6NK.

As I said earlier I have never looked into this but Adrian it seems as though your screwed mate, sorry.

If you would like to get a definitive answer though send Shawnsheridan a PM and he will tell you if it is possible.

Shawn is the Yoda of coding!

Good luck.

H
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
BMW_F30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca1410 View Post
Thanks heaps for this great write up. I have recieved a quote for the parts and it is good to hear you are happy with the camera.

Still I am very limited in my experience with this sort of stuff and do not feel confident I could do what you did. I need to find someone who is willing to install for me if I get the parts. I have no doubt I would make matters worse if I attempted this on my own.

Thanks again good work.
Unlikely you'll be able to easily get the wiring harness and video cable with custom plugs. Also car needs to be programmed to activate the rear cam. This requires modifying the VO.
Appreciate 0