E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Anyone have a problem with receiving calls?

10-03-2007, 06:56 AM   #1
judsonls
Private
Rep
Drives: 07' 335ci, SP, PP, CW

Anyone have a problem with receiving calls?

Anyone have this problem? I can make calls via my bluetooth/iDrive with no problem. However, I am not alerted to an incoming call. The phone buzzes in my pocket, and until I flip it open does it does not connect to the incoming caller via the audio system. Strange. Could this be a software problem? MAybe an update would fix?
      10-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

i get problems answering calls a lot, i hit the button and nothing happens
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
judsonls
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
i get problems answering calls a lot, i hit the button and nothing happens
But at least you are alerted to the incoming call. I don't get that alert. Makes no sense since the phone is properly paired. Everything else with the phone works fine
      10-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

yep... it sometimes happens to me. BMW's BT system seems to randomly drop the pairing.

it amazes me how a phone will pair problem free with a $99 headset, but there are so many problems pairing with BMW's $1,000 bluetooth system.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
judsonls
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post
yep... it sometimes happens to me. BMW's BT system seems to randomly drop the pairing.

it amazes me how a phone will pair problem free with a $99 headset, but there are so many problems pairing with BMW's $1,000 bluetooth system.
Ya. no shit. WTF?
      10-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
cgmb16
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonls View Post
Anyone have this problem? I can make calls via my bluetooth/iDrive with no problem. However, I am not alerted to an incoming call. The phone buzzes in my pocket, and until I flip it open does it does not connect to the incoming caller via the audio system. Strange. Could this be a software problem? MAybe an update would fix?
I have no problem with my phone pairing to the car, or the car alerting me to incoming calls. However, I don't have Idrive like you do. Perhaps there is a setting within the Idrive control menu to change how it alerts you???? That is just a suggestion.

The only overall problems I have is the crappy AT&T service, more bars in more places is a bunch of BS.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151760
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
cheluto2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 AW MT

Garage List
2007 335i E90  [0.00]
I had that problem constantly, and it was f**ing annoying!! I would let the phone ring and ring and it would never show up on the screen for me to pickup, so I would have to answer it on the phone itself. I also had the problem where my phone would just come to a crawl while paired up to the car (functions on the phone itself, like text messaging, settings, whatever, would take forever). The problem is that, unless you have one of the very few phones "officially approved" by BMW, then you are SOL! They will direct you to the list of phones supported and won't help you (at least in my case).

I ended up buying an iPhone because it was so frustrating. Now I don't have that problem. However, I do have problems with my calls now. I don't know if it is the iPhone or the car or the combination, but I get more dropped calls than ever while in the car, and often for the first 2-3 seconds of a call I've made, I can't hear the other person, but they can hear me. It sucks!

Ok, I had to complain. I wish they would update my Nav software, but they won't unless you have a very specific issue and you can prove it.
      10-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
judsonls
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheluto2 View Post
I had that problem constantly, and it was f**ing annoying!! I would let the phone ring and ring and it would never show up on the screen for me to pickup, so I would have to answer it on the phone itself. I also had the problem where my phone would just come to a crawl while paired up to the car (functions on the phone itself, like text messaging, settings, whatever, would take forever). The problem is that, unless you have one of the very few phones "officially approved" by BMW, then you are SOL! They will direct you to the list of phones supported and won't help you (at least in my case).

I ended up buying an iPhone because it was so frustrating. Now I don't have that problem. However, I do have problems with my calls now. I don't know if it is the iPhone or the car or the combination, but I get more dropped calls than ever while in the car, and often for the first 2-3 seconds of a call I've made, I can't hear the other person, but they can hear me. It sucks!

Ok, I had to complain. I wish they would update my Nav software, but they won't unless you have a very specific issue and you can prove it.
My phone is on the approved list - Razor V3. Just can't explain this.
      10-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

What phone are you using and what service provider you have? I have motorola v330 with tmobile and never had any issue with my 06 330 e90.

For some phone you can set silent mode for incoming during while your phone is on incar mode. So you might want to check on those options on the phone itself. GL.
      10-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmb16 View Post
However, I don't have Idrive like you do. Perhaps there is a setting within the Idrive control menu to change how it alerts you???? That is just a suggestion.
No, there's no setting in iDrive. It's the phone. Different phones work better/worse with BMW Bluetooth. Some may work better with a phone firmware update, or maybe there are some BT settings on some phones that need to be adjusted. In any case, it's the phone. There are some threads discussing good and bad phones to use.

FWIW, I've had two Blackberries since I got the car over a year ago, and both have worked flawlessly with the BMW. No problems at all. I am not a big mobile phone user -- far from it -- but my E90 has made me such a huge believer in Bluetooth that I won't get another car without it. IMO it's one of the best options you can get on the car.
      10-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #11
judsonls
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
What phone are you using and what service provider you have? I have motorola v330 with tmobile and never had any issue with my 06 330 e90.

For some phone you can set silent mode for incoming during while your phone is on incar mode. So you might want to check on those options on the phone itself. GL.
I have a motorola V3m (on the list). Even if it was in the silent mode I should still see an alert for an incoming call.
      10-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheluto2 View Post

This is true. I had a Samsung A20 "Blade" with the old Bluetooth chip and it sucked like mad. The BMW site is not updated to all the newer phones, but I got a Sanyo Kanata II (Sprint PCS) cheapie phone and it works like a champ. Never misses a beat, great on battery consumption, and I never lose contact with the car.

The only thing I hate about BMW Bluetooth is that the system stays on even after you turn off the car. My radio keeps playing after I switch to headset, etc. I have to walk about 15 feet away from the car.

If you go to the phone store, they will (at least Sprint) will let you take a test drive outside and make sure everything works. Its great.
Appreciate 0