E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod problem

09-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #1
judsonls
Private
Rep
Drives: 07' 335ci, SP, PP, CW

iPod problem

I just took delivery of my 335i coupe last night. I am very dependent on my ipod for music so I got the 6FL option. It works fine. The problem (or question) that I have is why when I turn the car off and remove the key does the ipod not shut off automatically. Further, the screen on the ipod continues to say "Do not Disconnect". This is a hassle. Is this how it works? Must you always disconnect the usb cable when leaving the car for long periods in fear of returning to a car with a dead battery. Seems like a real poor design to me. Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
KP22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 M-Sport

It does not shut off automatically.

I had my iPod on in my car for three weeks period when I was on holiday and no problems with the car battery. However, may not be good for the iPod battery if never switched off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonls View Post
I just took delivery of my 335i coupe last night. I am very dependent on my ipod for music so I got the 6FL option. It works fine. The problem (or question) that I have is why when I turn the car off and remove the key does the ipod not shut off automatically. Further, the screen on the ipod continues to say "Do not Disconnect". This is a hassle. Is this how it works? Must you always disconnect the usb cable when leaving the car for long periods in fear of returning to a car with a dead battery. Seems like a real poor design to me. Any input would be appreciated.
335i E92, Lemans Blue, Black Dakota, M-Sport package, 19" 225M, AT, Navi professional, M steering wheel with paddles, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Debadging, Comfort Access, Ski-sack, PDC front and back, Automatic A/C, Cruise control, iPod interface, Logic7 and Rain sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
judsonls
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP22 View Post
It does not shut off automatically.

I had my iPod on in my car for three weeks period when I was on holiday and no problems with the car battery. However, may not be good for the iPod battery if never switched off.
At least I know that it's not faulty. Real poor design imo. In me e46 I had ipod integration via icelink. It was much better. Shut of automatically when car was turned off. None of that fm switching problem I've been reading about (not that I have that issue thank goodness). What a joke. They can build a fantastic engine. Beautiful fit and finish, but can't quite get their arms around a simple software issue. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
KP22
Private First Class
Rep

Agree. And the user interface is not very good. I do not know is my system 6FL as it dealer installed.

How mine works is that I plug in iPod, find all songs by artist in CD2, songs by album name in CD3 etc.. It is very incovenent if I want to listen to artist X's album Y since there are no subfolders.

Quote:
At least I know that it's not faulty. Real poor design imo. In me e46 I had ipod integration via icelink. It was much better. Shut of automatically when car was turned off. None of that fm switching problem I've been reading about (not that I have that issue thank goodness). What a joke. They can build a fantastic engine. Beautiful fit and finish, but can't quite get their arms around a simple software issue. Strange.
335i E92, Lemans Blue, Black Dakota, M-Sport package, 19" 225M, AT, Navi professional, M steering wheel with paddles, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Debadging, Comfort Access, Ski-sack, PDC front and back, Automatic A/C, Cruise control, iPod interface, Logic7 and Rain sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
judsonls
Private
Rep

Quote:
Agree. And the user interface is not very good. I do not know is my system 6FL as it dealer installed.

How mine works is that I plug in iPod, find all songs by artist in CD2, songs by album name in CD3 etc.. It is very incovenent if I want to listen to artist X's album Y since there are no subfolders.
I think that is how it works without Nav. I have the nav, so I'm able to scroll menus. It's not bad. But it is still not great. Could be better. ie display album art etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
KP22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think that is how it works without Nav. I have the nav, so I'm able to scroll menus. It's not bad. But it is still not great. Could be better. ie display album art etc..
I have navi professional

So you have subfolders e.g. choose first artist, then album etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
I have navi professional

So you have subfolders e.g. choose first artist, then album etc?
Sounds like you have the dealer installed iPod option not the 6FL like the OP.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I always keep mine on the pouch so I never look at the screen. I need to check this out on mine. Is your iPod at the latest firmware?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
judsonls
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Interesting, I always keep mine on the pouch so I never look at the screen. I need to check this out on mine. Is your iPod at the latest firmware?
My ipod has the latest firmware. I guess the usb power is plugged directly into the battery. Anyway, does your ipod continue to say "Do not Disconnect"?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
My ipod has the latest firmware. I guess the usb power is plugged directly into the battery. Anyway, does your ipod continue to say "Do not Disconnect"?
I don't know, I never look at it when I leave the car but I will check it out next time.

I do remember hearing there was a new PROGMAN that addressed iPod battery not being charged when removing it from the car. Maybe that is the issue you are having. What's your production date? Newer cars shouldn't have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

I believe that the iPod power (along with other things) shuts off when you lock or within 20 minutes if you haven't locked.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Look in the audio subforum. There are two threads on this issue. At least one person has got it resolved. I have the issue and just got a new cable from the dealer today to see if it solves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Yeah, My ipod shuts itself down no worries when you turn off the car. Immediately presents a "ok to disconnect" screen with the Roundel. Something doesn't make sense.
      09-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #14
judsonls
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Yeah, My ipod shuts itself down no worries when you turn off the car. Immediately presents a "ok to disconnect" screen with the Roundel. Something doesn't make sense.
Are you just using the regular usb cable that came with your ipod. I don't get a roundel, let alone ok to disconnect. Does your ipod power down too?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you just using the regular usb cable that came with your ipod. I don't get a roundel, let alone ok to disconnect. Does your ipod power down too?
Sorry I'm using the Dealer Installed cable in the Glove Box Option... wasn't paying attention.

But, yeah my ipod will shut down a short while after the roundel displays. It's tricky with CA or the E9Xs in general though because as you open the car the electronics spool up and get everything pre-heated.

I am not sure but I am thinking that it fires up the ipod as well FWIW. I Dunno, I know that I have left the ipod connected to the car for 5 days and upon returning the ipod was fully charged and ready to go.
      09-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #16
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

If you have the correct cable, you should get sub-folders regardless if you have Navigation or not. I don't have Nav and I have complete control over the ipod folders.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #17
jmonier
Captain
Rep

I just tested mine and here's how it works with the 6FL option and the iPod Y-cable:

(It may well be different using the iPod USB cable or with the glovebox dealer installed adapter.)

When you turn off the car, the iPod screen changes to "OK to Disconnect" and then (after a few seconds) changes to the main iPod menu. After a few more seconds the backlight goes out but the menu screen is still there. I closed the door and went away for about 20 minutes. When I came back I looked through the window I'd left open (without opening the door) and the iPod screen was completely blank. Opening the door caused the iPod backlight to come on and the "OK to Disconnect" message was displayed followed by the main menu.

(Note that my car is early March production with the original Y-cable.)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #18
iwanta335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I just tested mine and here's how it works with the 6FL option and the iPod Y-cable:

(It may well be different using the iPod USB cable or with the glovebox dealer installed adapter.)

When you turn off the car, the iPod screen changes to "OK to Disconnect" and then (after a few seconds) changes to the main iPod menu. After a few more seconds the backlight goes out but the menu screen is still there. I closed the door and went away for about 20 minutes. When I came back I looked through the window I'd left open (without opening the door) and the iPod screen was completely blank. Opening the door caused the iPod backlight to come on and the "OK to Disconnect" message was displayed followed by the main menu.

What does the iPod display while you are driving? I have 6FL with same build date. Mine always displays Ok to disconnect, but works fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #19
judsonls
Private
Rep

What is this Y cable? I was given a regular usb cable. In fact the cable doesn't even plug into my ipod. It is basically a usb extension. I need to use my regular ipod cable that came with the ipod. Why do some people have this y cable. I am very confused, mostly as to why this rather simple and expensive option does not work properly for apparently many people.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #20
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post

Bastard! You beat me to it...

BUT I found the exact same thing to be the case with the dealer installed integration.

Just as described above.

As I shut down I get the Roundel, when I open the car 15 minutes later the ipod is off and upon unlocking the door it wakes up to the big check mark.

FWIW...
Attached Images

09-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #21
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanta335 View Post
What does the iPod display while you are driving? I have 6FL with same build date. Mine always displays Ok to disconnect, but works fine.
Mine's the same. I believe it's different if the iPod USB cable is used since then the iPod acts as a USB hard drive and you get a "do not disconnect" just like when it's connected to the computer.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #22
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What is this Y cable? I was given a regular usb cable. In fact the cable doesn't even plug into my ipod. It is basically a usb extension. I need to use my regular ipod cable that came with the ipod. Why do some people have this y cable. I am very confused, mostly as to why this rather simple and expensive option does not work properly for apparently many people.
It's just incredible that so many dealers are clueless about this even though they received a sales bulletin spelling out the procedure. You dealer should have ordered a Y-cable against your VIN (at no cost) and supplied it to you upon delivery.
Appreciate 0