E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Easiest, most Non-evasive sub install?

09-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Captain Beefheart
Private
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 328i

Easiest, most Non-evasive sub install?

I have alot of JL stuff left over from my previous car and I would like to at least put the amp and 10" sub to use. What is the easiest non-invasive way to go about this? My local guys are very reluctant to work on my car, I think because of their inexperience on the e90 so Im looking for a simple solution to at least get my sub working. Any ideas?

Last edited by Captain Beefheart; 09-13-2007 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

don't you mean non-INvasive ? ;-)

I'm in sorta the same boat.... I have an alpine V12 amp and a decent sub that i've been happy with in my old car laying around.... so here's what I'm in the middle of trying...

Oh yea.. I have the Logic7 .. so..

ordered one of these 4 channel converter things from the guy referenced here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82283

gonna use that to run my alpine v12 amp off the factory amp... and then run my sub from there...

just need to come up with a nice way to mount the amp and sub in the trunk now.....

with those converters, the impedance is high enough that you can run them in parallel with the stock subs if you wanted, but I plan on disconnecting them myself.... (maybe somehow working in a switch to easily reconnect them if i ever have to pull the aftermarket amp/sub out to carry something else in there)

i would tend to not run them in parallel just due to the stock ones sounding um... well basically muddy, and totally lacking definition.... why add that in when you have a good sub running as well...

side note:
the guy at that company said you could actually use his converters to sum the signals back together like for the mids and tweeters in the front (if they are separate from the amp already)... he said the way they were designed, you could use a Y cable on the outside and basically glue the signal back together and then run that to your amp if you wanted to do that then use cross overs that come with some high end speakers after that
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Captain Beefheart
Private
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
don't you mean non-INvasive ? ;-)

I'm in sorta the same boat.... I have an alpine V12 amp and a decent sub that i've been happy with in my old car laying around.... so here's what I'm in the middle of trying...

Oh yea.. I have the Logic7 .. so..

ordered one of these 4 channel converter things from the guy referenced here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82283

gonna use that to run my alpine v12 amp off the factory amp... and then run my sub from there...

just need to come up with a nice way to mount the amp and sub in the trunk now.....

with those converters, the impedance is high enough that you can run them in parallel with the stock subs if you wanted, but I plan on disconnecting them myself.... (maybe somehow working in a switch to easily reconnect them if i ever have to pull the aftermarket amp/sub out to carry something else in there)

i would tend to not run them in parallel just due to the stock ones sounding um... well basically muddy, and totally lacking definition.... why add that in when you have a good sub running as well...

side note:
the guy at that company said you could actually use his converters to sum the signals back together like for the mids and tweeters in the front (if they are separate from the amp already)... he said the way they were designed, you could use a Y cable on the outside and basically glue the signal back together and then run that to your amp if you wanted to do that then use cross overs that come with some high end speakers after that

Yea my spelling leaves something to be desired.

My local shop said something about a remote, but they were unsure exactly which way to make it sound the best. Also they were worried about it voiding my warranty, because a BMW tech just happened to be in the shop as they were looking at my car and he told them anything they did would void my warranty, which kinda worried me.
Appreciate 0