F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2 M Perf. Exhaust Questions
Studio RSR

04-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

2 M Perf. Exhaust Questions

As the title states, I'm thinking about having the M Performance Exhaust installed on my week old 335i (I have the MPPK on it).

My first question is....will they have to do any coding/recoding with the exhaust install? My gut tells me no, but after thinking about....the flaps inside the exhaust are electronically activated (only one open during cold start), so wouldn't they have to do some recoding? I mean, if the "golf tee" mod throws a code for heavens sakes, wouldn't replacing the entire electrically operated flapping system (inside the new exhsust) demand coding? I only ask because I want to stay away from recoding for a while after having my MPPK installed. It would be just my luck that a clueless tech would "erase" the MPPK software with the exhaust install....I'd rather not deal with that headache.

My second question deals with longevity. My original stock exhaust probably has a lifespan of 10 or more years (I plan on keeping the car for the long haul). Now that I will be "interrupting" that by sawing off my stock exhaust to put the MPE on, am I disrupting the longevity of the exhaust and opening myself up for corrosion in a few years? I live in northern Ohio...lots of salt on the roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

No coding required. The stock AND M Perf exhausts are both stainless. They'll both last forever.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
No coding required. The stock AND M Perf exhausts are both stainless. They'll both last forever.
Thanks for the help. Regarding the corrosion....I was not so much worried about the new exhaust as much as the joint where the new exhaust is fitted (where my old one was sawed off).

Regarding coding....why does the "golf tee" mod throw a code....but an entirely new rear section of exhaust doesn't?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
No coding as others said
      04-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Thanks for the help. Regarding the corrosion....I was not so much worried about the new exhaust as much as the joint where the new exhaust is fitted (where my old one was sawed off).

Regarding coding....why does the "golf tee" mod throw a code....but an entirely new rear section of exhaust doesn't?
The golf tee only throws a code if you disconnect the actuator. It's not related to the exhaust itself.

The stainless itself is corrosion resistant. It's not a coating. Cutting it won't affect it's corrosion resistance.
Appreciate 0