E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ipod clarification (shuffle vs nano)

09-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Ipod clarification (shuffle vs nano)

I have the 6LF (ipod/usb integration) ordered,

the ipod shuffle WILL NOT show the songs being played on my screen.

the ipod nano (with the screen) WILL show the songs being played.

correct?
      09-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

The ipod shuffle will not use the 6FL. You would simply connect the shuffle's headphone output with a $3 cable to the BMW's standard aux input next to the 6FL's USB input. This will only provide sound, controls must be via your shuffle. No song info will display.

The ipod nano will use the 6FL. You would connect the nano to the USB input and the aux input using the 6FL's y-cable. This will provide everything -- sound, controls via the radio and steering wheel, and song info on your radio and/or iDrive display.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
NoKids
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
The ipod shuffle will not use the 6FL. You would simply connect the shuffle's headphone output with a $3 cable to the BMW's standard aux input next to the 6FL's USB input. This will only provide sound, controls must be via your shuffle. No song info will display.

The ipod nano will use the 6FL. You would connect the nano to the USB input and the aux input using the 6FL's y-cable. This will provide everything -- sound, controls via the radio and steering wheel, and song info on your radio and/or iDrive display.
thanks

but what happens if you plug the shuffle into the 6FL ycable ?
      09-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKids View Post
thanks

but what happens if you plug the shuffle into the 6FL ycable ?
The 6FL ycable plugs into the ipod Classic/Nano/iTouch via a proprietary connector on the bottom of those ipod's. That connector is not on the shuffle, so there is no physical way to plug the shuffle into the 6FL ycable.

But on that topic, I guess you could put the shuffle in its charging cradle/cable and plug that into the 6FL's usb port. Note, this would not be like connecting an ipod. It would be like connecting a thumb drive. However, I'm pretty sure the shuffle cannot act as a mass storage device. In other words, I'm pretty sure even that wouldn't work.

The new 4GB nano is $150. It will be your easiest and cheapest ipod solution. Your cheapest digital music solution would be buying a 1GB thumb drive for $15.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
NoKids
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Cool. cuz i have a shuffle, but looks like i'll have to upgrade to a nano.

Cudos for the info!