F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Tyre Monitor Question
Extreme Powerhouse

04-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
Tyre Monitor Question

So during my last service 3 weeks ago, BMW told me I had a slow leak from a puncture in my rear driver's side tyre. They told me that as the inside edge was down to 3mm and due for replacement soon, I may as well leave it in, top it off at the servo from time to time, and then replace both rear tyres when they wear out fully in the next few months (the fact they had no replacement tyres in stock may have influenced this advice).

Tonight while driving I got a low tyre warning. I pulled over to a servo and checked the tyre. It was at 35psi (BMW told me the rears should be 42psi). The rest of the tyres were all still full. I topped the tyre off and re initialized the tyre monitor to clear the alarm.

Less than 20km later the alarm came back on. Any thoughts as to what might be going on? I haven't been able to get in to another servo yet as I'm at a trivia night but in a few hours I need to drive about 80kms home.
      04-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorion View Post
Tonight while driving I got a low tyre warning. I pulled over to a servo and checked the tyre. It was at 35psi (BMW told me the rears should be 42psi). The rest of the tyres were all still full. I topped the tyre off and re initialized the tyre monitor to clear the alarm.

Less than 20km later the alarm came back on. Any thoughts as to what might be going on? I haven't been able to get in to another servo yet as I'm at a trivia night but in a few hours I need to drive about 80kms home.
You running over any bumps?.. kinda weird but on a seperate note: BMW told you rears should be 42psi? wow, that's a tad high ain't it?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey
Quote:

You running over any bumps?.. kinda weird but on a seperate note: BMW told you rears should be 42psi? wow, that's a tad high ain't it?
I'm on 41 rears 38 fronts
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
bcoz
spectator
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d Sedan

Quote:
So during my last service 3 weeks ago, BMW told me I had a slow leak from a puncture in my rear driver's side tyre.

... Less than 20km later the alarm came back on. Any thoughts as to what might be going on?
Your slow leak is getting faster (the puncture is getting bigger). If you think the tyre tread will last a few months, then get the leak repaired at your local tyre shop (RFTs may be repairable so long as the puncture isn't in the sidewall).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
The puncture is in the sidewall unfortunately. After I left the trivia night last night I stopped at the first servo I saw and checked the tyre and it was down to 12psi (so obviously a much faster leak).

Strangely, after I filled the tyre up to 40psi again and then drove 50+kms on the freeway, I checked it again at a servo after getting in to Sydney and it had only dropped down to 36psi. I can only guess that the leak is more time based than usage based.

I've been phoning around this morning trying to find a tyre place open on a Sunday that also sells run-flats. I've found one close-ish to home, and they have quoted me $225 for run-flats. From what I've heard that seems very cheap (conspicuously so). They are offering Kumos. At that price, I may as well just swap it now and next service I do I can look at getting better tyres from BMW.
      04-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

i had a big nail puncture on my Accord Euro about 8 months ago, but the tyre was holding the pressure, and the during the service, the Honda dealer just sent for the tyre puncture service for $25. you know it's expensive to replace a run-flat tyre.

The Accord Euro Tyre was expensive on Michelin Premacy HP 235/45/18...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Sorry to hear that mate.. keep us updated on your tyre replacement cost
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
The tyre(s) are now sorted. I went to the servo after leaving home to go and pick up the new tyres and when I checked the pressure in the punctured tyre it was down to 3psi (and for the first time I could see a barely visible deformation of the outer sidewall). I pumped it back up again but as soon as I took the hose off I could actually hear the air escaping from the tyre again.

I ended up paying $450 for two tyres fitted (I decided to replace the opposite tyre as well to keep things consistent), which is a lot less than I expected. I told the dealer this (after I had paid for the tyres) and he just shrugged and said some people rip customers off when it comes to run-flats.

Interestingly, the owners manual for the F30 says to look out for "RSC" printed on the sidewall of the tyre (which apparently stands for "Runflat System Component") and the tyres I got don't have this. They do say Runflat Tyre on the sidewall, they just don't use the RSC logo. Not sure if it's anything to be concerned about but everything driving-wise with the car seems to be fine now.

Last edited by ozorion; 04-28-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Hivetyrant
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 328i - Sports

Quote:
I ended up paying $450 for two tyres fitted (I decided to replace the opposite tyre as well to keep things consistent), which is a lot less than I expected. I told the dealer this (after I had paid for the tyres) and he just shrugged and said some people rip customers off when it comes to run-flats.
Wow, thats a decent price isn't it? What brand are they?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
BMW told you rears should be 42psi? wow, that's a tad high ain't it?
I rechecked the piece of paper they gave me and it was actually 40psi rear, 34psi front.
      04-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
Wow, thats a decent price isn't it? What brand are they?
Kumos, I couldn't tell you the exact "model" of the tyre at the moment.
      04-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #12
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

out of interest how many k's have you done? I'm surprised that people are already through their first set of rubbers!
      05-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suff View Post
out of interest how many k's have you done? I'm surprised that people are already through their first set of rubbers!
I would have replaced my rubber already if I did not tone down my spirited driving 5 months ago. Atm, my car is almost 35k km with approx 40% tread so due for change. If driven normally, ive seen people go up around 80k km on a set. 35k km is the max life ive ever gotten in a set of tyres so far

For tyre pressure, I normally aim for 40psi on hot. Depending on your driving the pressures will vary with cold pressures. On the conti runflats I have been doing 38 cold for day to day and 36 for heacy spirited. For light spirited I just leave it on the 38
Appreciate 0