F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Variable Sports Steering - Dead Spot
Studio RSR

04-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Variable Sports Steering - Dead Spot

Took delivery of my 2013 335i M-Sport in Early April, having ordered it in October.

I've only driven 650 km so far but have noticed while cruising that there is a slight "dead-spot" in the steering when the wheels are driving straight and a small wheel correction is needed. This is more noticable on a freeway. Has anyone else with VSS noticed this?

This is a very small criticism of the car and it could be that I have noticed it only because my previous car was an M3 with very precise steering.

I also have the M-Brakes on the car but have not had to use them in anger yet. I'm being patient and and running the car in gently for the 1000-2000 km to bed everything in properly. My first impressions of the brakes to-date are that they do not "bite" as quickly as the vented and drilled brakes that I had been used to in the past. But I'm sure they will do the trick anywhere but on a race track.

As in another thread, I have also noticed some road noise from the Bridgestone tyres, but I consider this to be an extremely mild criticism and think that the noise is a function of the rest of the car being so quiet. However, BMW have been very clever and have implemented a "fix" for this road noise - The Harmon Kardon Sound System!! The Logic7 is excellent, especially when you turn it up!

I have found the HUD to be superb and wonder, in the past, how I could have survived without it!

In general, I am very happy with the new car, and probably more importantly, my wife loves it!!
      04-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
CrazyLatte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Sounds like your steering is "off centre". I also have the VSS and experienced the same issue. I'm hoping it'd be fixed when they do the wheel alignment with the replacement of the steering rack...

I also have the MSport brake on my car... I've been driving a loan car for the past fortnight and it only had the standard brake... what I've noticed is that the bite and pedal feeling is better on the standard brakes... I've done 4000km on my car so its pretty well braked in...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
I'm not sure the tracking is out, as the car steers in a straight line with hands off the wheel. The little issue I have is that when you have to make minor corrections in the steering (while on a freeway, for example), there appears to be a very small "dead-spot" before the steering properly engages the movement of the rack.
      04-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
I'm not sure the tracking is out, as the car steers in a straight line with hands off the wheel. The little issue I have is that when you have to make minor corrections in the steering (while on a freeway, for example), there appears to be a very small "dead-spot" before the steering properly engages the movement of the rack.
I've noticed the same thing, and I have on another VSS car. I think it's normal.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I feel the same on the f30. Less visible in my e85 that has an electronic rack aswell
Appreciate 0