E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New ipod nano and classic & 6FL & new Y cable

09-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

New ipod nano and classic & 6FL & new Y cable

Do the new ipod nano's and classics work any good with 6FL? Will I need the newer Y cable for it to work? Is the newer Y cable backwards compatible (aka. can also work with older ipods?)?? Also there are too many Y cable part # flying around, just wondering what are the part numbers for all the versions of the cable and what are the difference between them (new Y and I think there are at least 2 versions of the old Ys?) Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

I have 6FL and (I believe) The 2nd to most recent Y cable. Everything seems to work perfectly with one giant flaw. When I turn off the car, the ipod stays on and in attached mode. That means the ipod battery keeps draining. It also means I have to reset the ipod when I disconnect it.

I don't know if the problem is with the ipod or with 6FL. The ipod is an 80GB ipod Classic. I did not have this problem with my ipod 30GB 5.5 Generation.

Anyone else using an ipod Classic?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
sois
MasterDebater
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e90 M3, '11 MCS

Yup ipod classic sucks

Yes, just returned my ipod 80GB classic. It was the second one I had because the first one would not sync properly and it eventually completely froze on me. Finally got the new one to sync and hold tunes but didn't have the 6FL option and could not browse normally simply with the native usb cable that comes with ipods. Obtained the 6FL cable but the classic will neither charge nor disconnect properly when connected via the 6FL cable.
One thing of interest is when I disconnected it from the 6FL and reconnected with just the native usb cable it charged and disconnected fine (as it did before) but I was able to browse the directory: artist/album/genre/songs, etc.. except for playlists did not show up... weird!

Also, you are supposedly able to scroll through the albums, etc... faster if you have the latest idrive firmware (progman). I may have the latest and the problem is with the connection/ipod classic preventing this - not sure yet.

Anyway, I gave up and am taking the classic back. Maybe if apple sorts this out I will try again with ipod, but doubtful - I am going to try out some other MP3 players or just use a usb stick or two.
Appreciate 0