F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Test drive 335 M sport non XI
ARMA SPEED

04-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Test drive 335 M sport non XI

Guys,
Any idea where I can test drive non XI m sport sedan?
It's killing me how dealers only stock XI models these days.
I tried XI with m-sport and honestly the car felt very floaty in non fun type of way. Reminded Lexus IS in a way.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

if you call the dealer to schedule an appointment they can usually get it for you within 2 days
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe
if you call the dealer to schedule an appointment they can usually get it for you within 2 days
Tried few dealers in toronto and none of them have non XI demo's.
If you know of a dealership that has one, please let me know.
I was told they no longer bring RWD cars unless ordered by a customer.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD EBII

I test drove a F30 335i Sport Line 6MT last summer at Town & Country BMW in Markham. Maybe try them?

Last edited by HouseMusicRules; 04-21-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules
I test drove a F30 335i Sport Line 6MT last summer at Town & Country BMW in Markham. Maybe try them?
Thanks, will do
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

I saw one sitting on the lot at Parkview 2 weeks ago but im not sure if its a demo car
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Not available either, but hey on the bright side there are plenty of AWD models.
Maybe I should give Audi a call to see if they have any RWD cars available ;(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

audi does not have rwd in Canada. (unless you are thinking of converting one after your purchase)

Only fwd & awd.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
TObimmer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

This is true, RWD is a hard find since residuals are much lower so we won't really bother until we have an actual buyer.
Are you worried you won't like it? lol

The AWD is a approx. 300lbs heavier and 10mm higher but faster 0-60.
Just come order it!...talk to Commie lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Tried few dealers in toronto and none of them have non XI demo's.
If you know of a dealership that has one, please let me know.
I was told they no longer bring RWD cars unless ordered by a customer.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Don't understand the lack of RWD with 6MT. If BMW refers to themselves as the 'ultimate driving machine' then RWD and 6MT go hand in hand.

Now... if a DCT was offered it would make more sense, but I don't care how good the 8AT is it still is a conventional AT.

Alex_bm, I just picked up my '13 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD a few weeks back. Absolutely no regrets, my friend. It would be great if you can find one to test drive, but if you can't I would still order one regardless. Full stop. My test drive last year only cemented my choice.

Last edited by HouseMusicRules; 04-22-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Hniel
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

I ordered mine last Aug and rec'd late Sept/12.

Yes when it came in and residuals were out it was a bit disappointing the rwd was so much lower. I have to admit at first I missed my 2010 msport 335 manual coupe (mainly the steering feel and manual) but after a few weeks fell in love with this car. Key options imo would be..19's, M sport brake pkg, prem., adaptive m susp, of course the M sport pkg, The one option I always question is the variable sport steering. I wonder if I'd skipped it would the steering feel more like my 2010, with a lot of road feel and feed back although in sport mode it's ok? I have to admit the car is easy to drive fast and now no disappointment with the 8 speed auto, esp in sport. Basically I have the car in sport mode 95% of the time. I still think I need to have another M3 as my last one was a 2003 which was a blast. So I feel this 2013 is better than the e90's...again just my opinion, oh, btw, love that it's a rwd and is so much more fun to drive again imo than an x drive. One last thought, my wife hated the 2010, whereas this one can make the suspension softer in comfort mode and being a bit larger, makes her happy, and you know what they say about a happy wife...)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObimmer View Post
This is true, RWD is a hard find since residuals are much lower so we won't really bother until we have an actual buyer.

I am not sure about the 300 pounds difference, BMW North America's website has the 335i xdrive at 3710 pounds and the 335i at 3555 pounds for a difference of 155 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Guys,
I tried XI with m-sport and honestly the car felt very floaty in non fun type of way. Reminded Lexus IS in a way.
I cant see how a M sport xi is going to be any more floaty than a sport line xi.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hniel View Post
The one option I always question is the variable sport steering. I wonder if I'd skipped it would the steering feel more like my 2010, with a lot of road feel and feed back although in sport mode it's ok
I ordered VSS based on comments from owners on these forums who claimed that that it improves feel.

Did you drive a f30 without VSS?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #15
sydande
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
I cant see how a M sport xi is going to be any more floaty than a sport line xi.
thats is why he wants to test drive a msport 335i....as it comes standard with sport suspension. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
sydande
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Guys,
try to look for a dealer that has a msport with adaptive. it should give u a better feel by a lot....since adaptive is suppose to be even stiffer than standard sport suspension when in sport mode
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Was being sarcastic. Seems like BMW is aiming for Audi customers, maybe Audi will do the same and will start selling RWD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
audi does not have rwd in Canada. (unless you are thinking of converting one after your purchase)

Only fwd & awd.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Both of your statements are incorrect based on information published by BMW...
The weight difference is less than 300 lbs and the ride height difference between RWD M-SPORT to AWD M-SPORT is 20 mm.
Non m-sport will have 10mm difference with XI, M-Sport will shave another 10mm.
Are thought you were SA, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObimmer View Post

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

To clarify my situation.
I currently own 335IS. While this is not an M car, it has every-thing I would expect from BMW. It provides with fun driving experience by delivering on several different levels - ride, steering, acceleration, sound, overall quality and others.
Now, I do not have to make any-body (wife) happy with what I drive, but I do need the versatility and functionality in a car. It gets some-what annoying to play with the front seats every time my kids join me for a ride.
I did try 335xi. The acceleration is amazing, but every-thing else falls down. Few times I had to look down at the badge on the steering wheel to remind my-self I am in a BMW. The car is very floaty, disconnected and simply put "not fun". I am aware that it will work just fine for 99% of the population. Unfortunately I am not looking for a very fast Camry.
There is no rush for me to make the move and I want to be sure before spending 70k on a car. It is a big purchase after all.

P.S. I test drove ATS 3.6. Go figure, Cadillac has no problem with test driving RWD vehicle. It was certainly more entertaining to drive than 335xi, but I hated the car looks in and out. Also the chassis seemed to lack in terms of refinement compared to any bimmer I have ever driven.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The weight difference is less than 300 lbs and the ride height difference between RWD M-SPORT to AWD M-SPORT is 20 mm.
The only F30s that are 10mm lower than stock are RWD models in:
- Sport Line w/ the optional $400 Sport Suspension (704)
- M-Sport Line (ZWR)
No xDrive F30s of any kind come lowered from the factory.

Also, the additional 20mm drop (from stock, 10mm for Sport Line w/ 704 and M-Sport Line) you are referring to is for the optional M Performance Suspension (again for RWD only). That is approx. CDN$1700 last time I checked.

Hope that helps.

HMR.

Last edited by HouseMusicRules; 04-23-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
sydande
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
To clarify my situation.
I currently own 335IS. While this is not an M car, it has every-thing I would expect from BMW. It provides with fun driving experience by delivering on several different levels - ride, steering, acceleration, sound, overall quality and others.
Now, I do not have to make any-body (wife) happy with what I drive, but I do need the versatility and functionality in a car. It gets some-what annoying to play with the front seats every time my kids join me for a ride.
I did try 335xi. The acceleration is amazing, but every-thing else falls down. Few times I had to look down at the badge on the steering wheel to remind my-self I am in a BMW. The car is very floaty, disconnected and simply put "not fun". I am aware that it will work just fine for 99% of the population. Unfortunately I am not looking for a very fast Camry.
There is no rush for me to make the move and I want to be sure before spending 70k on a car. It is a big purchase after all.

P.S. I test drove ATS 3.6. Go figure, Cadillac has no problem with test driving RWD vehicle. It was certainly more entertaining to drive than 335xi, but I hated the car looks in and out. Also the chassis seemed to lack in terms of refinement compared to any bimmer I have ever driven.
ummm welll.....honestly its not fair to compare a 335is with the new f30 335xi,reason being 335is have standard sport suspenion while xi's comes with standard suspension across all line-up including m-sport unless u upgrade for adaptive, in order to give it a fair comparison, try to find a dealer that have a 335xi with adaptive to test drive. thts just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
sydande
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
the weight difference is around 150lbs....bmw SA dont know their stuff, my sales told me there are 250lbs differnce LOL
and height difference between a rwd and awd is only 10mm, and honestly i wouldnt get sport suspension on a msport if u have the chance why not spend $500 and get adaptive set up. since it gets stiffer than standard sport suspension.
Appreciate 0