E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Satellite Prep. - What's the value of this option?

05-25-2005, 04:31 AM   #1
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Satellite Prep. - What's the value of this option?

Satellite Prep. is a $75 ($70 invoice) option. The description is that it is "Pre-wiring for BMW center installation of SIRIUS Satellite Radio". Why would you get this and not just get the SIRIUS Satellite option ($595 retail/$540 invoice)? I mean, if you later get a separate SIRIUS receiver, you would connect it externally through the AUX port or maybe through an FM signal, right? And if you do get the satellite prep and later down the road you want the BMW integrated SIRIUS satellite radio, they would basically have to replace your whole radio unit, right? And how much would that cost?

Please add your knowledge and comments, but it seems to me that the Satellite Prep is basically paying for the OPTION to later install a BMW OEM SIRIUS satellite radio at a future time, and the benefits to installing a BMW OEM SIRIUS satellite radio would be integration with your steering wheel buttons and no separate, external SIRIUS unit. Otherwise, if you later decided to get your own SIRIUS satellite receiver for your car (in other words, a non-BMW SIRIUS receiver), you would never see the benefits of the Satellite Prep package. Is this correct? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 05:05 AM   #2
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I think it simply allows installing BMW's OEM satellite receiver at any time. Getting the car without it makes that impossible.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
goldberg
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 Artic

Greetings
We are picking up a E90 this weekend with satellite prep and wanted the BMW Sirius OEM...the dealer says that it is not available yet and has no info.

Is this true??
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
silverado
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberg
Greetings
We are picking up a E90 this weekend with satellite prep and wanted the BMW Sirius OEM...the dealer says that it is not available yet and has no info.

Is this true??
I was told the same thing this week.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
i will be picking up my new E90 later on today. it is equipped with sirius sat; so i dont know what that dealer you talked to is/was talking about. i will let you guys know the full story after i pick mine up. 3 more hours until pick up i cant wait!!!!!!

im picking up a 330i with prem package, navi/idrive, cold weather package, auto, and sirius sat. its an arctic with black leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
silverado
Captain
Rep

ntpcrew13:

Was your satellite receiver installed at the factory or the dealer? The dealer basically told me that they don't have the part to add it to my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
factory installed. i thought you meant it wasnt yet availible like the comfort access option for the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I think Silverado and Goldberg are saying that they have the Satellite Prep option, but the dealer is telling them the OEM BMW Sirius satellite radio isn't available at the moment (though they are available to be put in at the factory if you ordered it that way).

So, if you do have the Sat. Prep and want the OEM BMW Sirius satellite radio installed once supplies are available, how much will it cost??

And am I correct to assume that this would be a completely new radio unit (with Sirius integrated) that would have to replace your current radio unit? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
sawcat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 - 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think the satellite prep provides an additional input option that could be Sirius, XM, iPod or whatever. There are adapters made by folks like Blitzsafe specifically for BMW that integrate XM and other devices directly into the car audio system controls to include the steering wheel controls. With the satellite prep I am hoping to take advantage of this option for XM and bury an XMDirect receiver in a remote location.

http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catal...z_catalog.html
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
brybarrett
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 M-Sport

Keep us informed if the blitzsafe/xmdirect unit will work on the new e90. I have a strange feeling that since the radio system is new that blitzsafe might need to make a new adapter.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
batmanwagon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

The satellite prep. option allows for BMW Center installation of the BMW OEM Sirius satellite receiver. It will interoperate seamlessly with the existing head-unit in the car just like the factory installed satellite radio. If I recall the price correctly, the dealer-installed (i.e., BMW Center installation) price is $495, so it will wind up being roughly the same price as the factory installed option. One downside that my dealer tells me is that the BMW Center installation will require another antenna that will be mounted on the trunk.

About the only reason for doing satellite prep. as opposed to ordering the factory-installed version is that you're not yet certain that you want satellite radio - remember that it is a monthly subscription. That's exactly why I'm getting a satellite prewiring as opposed to ordering factory-installed satellite radio.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #12
silverado
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanwagon
One downside that my dealer tells me is that the BMW Center installation will require another antenna that will be mounted on the trunk.
Additional antenna?! That would really be unfortunate!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 03:50 PM   #13
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
The satellite prep. option allows for BMW Center installation of the BMW OEM Sirius satellite receiver. It will interoperate seamlessly with the existing head-unit in the car just like the factory installed satellite radio. If I recall the price correctly, the dealer-installed (i.e., BMW Center installation) price is $495, so it will wind up being roughly the same price as the factory installed option.
So does that mean the OEM receiver will be an external device and your current radio unit will remain as is?

Quote:
One downside that my dealer tells me is that the BMW Center installation will require another antenna that will be mounted on the trunk.
That would be unfortunate as Silverado said. Could the salesperson possibly be mistaken? Because isn't the whole point of the pre-wiring to be able to avoid this and use the fin antenna for the satellite receiver? It doesn't make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #14
batmanwagon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
So does that mean the OEM receiver will be an external device and your current radio unit will remain as is?
Yes, that's my understanding.

Quote:
That would be unfortunate as Silverado said. Could the salesperson possibly be mistaken? Because isn't the whole point of the pre-wiring to be able to avoid this and use the fin antenna for the satellite receiver? It doesn't make sense to me.
That's what I thought the point of the prewiring was as well. I can only relay what my salesman told me; whether or not this part is accurate, I have no clue.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 05:32 PM   #15
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I thought the point of the Satelite Radio Prep was to enable the wiring for the satelite radio antenna in the fin to the stereo. I figured it was some such thing. Otherwise I don't see what else it could be.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #16
collinp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
This doesn't seem right. The fin is designed to accommodate multiple antennas. It definitely accommodates the satellite antenna for the factory install. I would think that running the satellite antenna to the fin is most of what the prewiring deal is.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 08:37 PM   #17
silverado
Captain
Rep

I asked at my dealer today and was told that the extra antenna was needed only on early 2005 models and that had changed with later 2005's and 2006. There will be no added antenna needed for the 2006.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 10:03 PM   #18
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

I didn't get it, i figure I won't get sat radio within the three year lease I have with the car. I have cds, ipod etc. I think I can deal with not having it for a bit in case I do change my mind. But with the current market predictions there will probably be only one main sat radio provider left. It just a matter of time.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 04:20 AM   #19
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Let's just assume that if you get the Satellite Prep, and later decide to also get the BMW OEM SIRIUS receiver, you don't have to install a separate antenna (which would be the whole point of the Satellite Prep option).

Ok, but if you go that route, I still don't see how you can avoid getting your whole radio unit replaced. How can the $495 Sirius satellite accessory from BMW be an external unit?? If it's external, how does it take advantage of the pre-wiring? Also, if it's just an external unit, how would it connect to your car and how could this possible be better than just buying your own Sirius satellite receiver in the first place? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 07:28 AM   #20
silverado
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Let's just assume that if you get the Satellite Prep, and later decide to also get the BMW OEM SIRIUS receiver, you don't have to install a separate antenna (which would be the whole point of the Satellite Prep option).

Ok, but if you go that route, I still don't see how you can avoid getting your whole radio unit replaced. How can the $495 Sirius satellite accessory from BMW be an external unit?? If it's external, how does it take advantage of the pre-wiring? Also, if it's just an external unit, how would it connect to your car and how could this possible be better than just buying your own Sirius satellite receiver in the first place? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure it would consist of an internal unit that's out of sight somewhere, probably where the CD changer would be, and it is connected (using the prewiring) to the existing radio unit which is designed to work with it seemlessly.

My sales person told me that there would be two versions, one with a CD changer and one without. He said the one with the CD changer is only about $90 more, which makes the choice of which one to get a no brainer for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 08:32 AM   #21
CaptJack
Mach 1 in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Sirius Radio

OK Boys and Girls, Here's the straight scoop on Sirius radio:

I ordered my E90 from the factory in early March with the Satellite Prep Pkg. but no radio since I wasn't sure I would really wanted it. I currently have an XM radio in my wife's car and have a portable unit that I really love. So, to get Sirius meant another $12.95 per month for their service.

To make a long story short by the time the car arrived early this month I had decided to go for the radio after all and had it installed by the dealer. It works great and here are the facts and details:

1. The Sat Pkg. contains ALL the required wiring and antenna equip. (Shark fin) necessary. No additional wiring or antenna are necessay.

2. The radio unit is the same one used in the new 5 and 6 series cars so they are available even though the dealers may not realize this fact.

3. The radio consists of a metal box approx. 10" x 3" x 6" and is installed behind the left side panel of the trunk. It simply plugs into the wiring harness provided by the Sat Pkg. The only problem is that there wasn't a connector available to hook into the car's antenna system and there is still no BMW mounting bracket available to mount the system. The mechanic at my dealer was pretty sharp and fabricated the mount and procurred a connector from a 6 series parts bin.

4.All the functions of the radio are available through the radio in your car already so fortunately they don't have to pull the radio unit out at all. Everything hooks up through the wiring harness that is part of the Sat. Pkg.

5. The cost of the radio is $495 ( $100 less than factory installed unit) BUT installation labor is extra and will be at least 2 to 3 hours since they have to fabricate the mount. There is also apparently some software updates that need to made as well. In the end the whole thing ended up costing me about $725. It's probably a good idea to make sure that there is a cap on the installation costs as some mechanics may not be as efficient as others and it's conceivable that the labor bill could end up being something outragious.

6. You get a one year free subscription to Sirius. No paperwork comes with the radio inatall kit since its operation is covered in your manuals. Therefore no info on how to get the free subscription. No one at the dealer or even BMW customer support knew how to go about getting the free sub. As it turns out the BMW OEM units have a serial number that is registered with Sirius so when you call them to activate the radio and give them the number that is displayed in your radio disolay panel it automatically shows up as a 1 yr free service unit. Considering this, it might be worth being cautious about buying any of these units other than from an authorized BMW dealer. They may possibly NOT have the free years subscription which is worth about $155.

Bottom Line: The radio works great, sounds great and is a real joy to have. If you have a choice, by all means order it from the factory rather than having the dealer instal it as it will almost surely cost less in the end and save some frustration.

HAPPY LISTENING!!!

Last edited by CaptJack; 05-26-2005 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #22
Stavros
Rep
Drives: JB 320i E90(sold) X6 35i

for those of us like myself who did not opt for prewiring. Is it possible to plug in a sirius radio unit directly into the aux port under the glove like the ipod?
Appreciate 0