E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Hands free call quality? How is yours?

09-09-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Hands free call quality? How is yours?

Hi,

I am having problems with the voice quality of my '06 E90 when making phone calls via BT. I have tried it with 2 different cell phones. I guess it was not the phone unless they both suck (Ericsson T616 and Samsung SGH T809).

The incoming quality is great but everyone is complaining about hearing me.

I never had a software update on the car unless they didi it when it was in on its first service. Any way to fix this? Where is the mike in the car?

How is the voice quality on yours?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huncowboy View Post
The incoming quality is great but everyone is complaining about hearing me.
That pretty much sums it up. My wife complained when I drove it and now I complain since she's driving it. When she's talking it sounds like she's in a tunnel.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
bluemax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 320i Coupe

I've noticed that it gets worse as you speed up.

The manual states that it adjusts to compensate for background noise, and then recommends that you close all your windows & so on.

My car sounds like you're talking in a goldfish bowl at speed, & I can't find anyway of adjusting the system manually.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Obviously not as good as handset proper, but people are actually surprised how great the voice quality is.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
I've used 3 different bluetooth phones with the car so far:

Sony Ericsson T610: some signal problems, improved by using the snap-in cradle, but no problems for callers hearing me.

Orange SPV C600: nice phone & no problems for callers.

Sony Ericsson W880i: again, no problem for callers hearing me- most don't even realise I'm using a mobile.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
I've used 3 different bluetooth phones with the car so far:

Sony Ericsson T610: some signal problems, improved by using the snap-in cradle, but no problems for callers hearing me.

Orange SPV C600: nice phone & no problems for callers.

Sony Ericsson W880i: again, no problem for callers hearing me- most don't even realise I'm using a mobile.

All the best.

Viv
You know sometimes the quality is better and sometimes it is really bad. My wife drives my 330i often because every week when I am on a trip the car sits 4-5 days so I ask her to. Thus I talk to her a lot when she is driving and at times it sounds like she is in a tunnel, like others have mentioned it, and at other times it is just plain broken and useless. The tunnel effect is fine because we can have a normal conversation but mostly it is broken. It is very annoying because it is soooooooo nice to have the BT on and get in/out of the car without additional input.

I drove a lot in my buddy's AMG 55 Mercedes this summer and the guy was always on the phone (his Nokia phone was in a cradle) and nobody complained to him. When I talked to him it was not noticeble. At first I thought all hands free suck but once I saw his it started to bug me more.

Anyone else having good/bad experiences, solutions? Has anyone seen the dealer regarding this yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
bluemax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 320i Coupe

To add one further thing. when stationary or driving slowly (i.e. there's almost no background noise), the call quality is pretty good.

Everything goes a bit 'Pete Tong' when there's road noise etc...

regards
B
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

My BT beats the cr@p out of the aftermarket BT Porsche installed in our Cayenne. The speaker sucks and the voice commands don't work well. I even talk to people with the top down/windows up on the highway without a problem. Granted, I have to talk pretty loud, but it's doable.