E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Non-iPod DAP's with 6FL

09-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Non-iPod DAP's with 6FL

OK, Steve has disappointed me with the newest iPods and I'm thinking of jumping ship to the new Zen. I doubt anyone has it yet, but does anyone have experience using non-iPod DAP's with 6FL?

I'm not looking for aux-only experiences....I realize I could just use an aux cable and a power cord. I've also used thumb drives and understand how those work.

I'm hoping to hear how good (or bad) other DAP's work with 6FL when plugged in through the USB port. How is the playlist support? Does the DAP properly power up and down? Does it remember song positions when going back to a different song if that's how it's set in the DAP? Does it fully support the native sorting methods of the DAP, e.g. artist, album, genre?

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
OK, Steve has disappointed me with the newest iPods and I'm thinking of jumping ship to the new Zen. I doubt anyone has it yet, but does anyone have experience using non-iPod DAP's with 6FL?

I'm not looking for aux-only experiences....I realize I could just use an aux cable and a power cord. I've also used thumb drives and understand how those work.

I'm hoping to hear how good (or bad) other DAP's work with 6FL when plugged in through the USB port. How is the playlist support? Does the DAP properly power up and down? Does it remember song positions when going back to a different song if that's how it's set in the DAP? Does it fully support the native sorting methods of the DAP, e.g. artist, album, genre?

6FL will treat any DAP as a USB mass-storage device. don't count on any information besides what's in the metadata of your files. I *think* m3u playlists work sometimes but I'm not sure the details. The car will have no knowledge of any sorting methods or menus on the DAP, but really, how many ways are there to sort audio files? As for powering up/down, it'll depend on your DAP, as the car doesn't know it's not a hard drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
6FL will treat any DAP as a USB mass-storage device. don't count on any information besides what's in the metadata of your files. I *think* m3u playlists work sometimes but I'm not sure the details. The car will have no knowledge of any sorting methods or menus on the DAP, but really, how many ways are there to sort audio files? As for powering up/down, it'll depend on your DAP, as the car doesn't know it's not a hard drive.
drat -- I was afraid of the USB mass-storage answer. OK -- so most sort methods will be fine since the info is in the tag. But it would still have the biggest issue I have with thumbdrives: it doesn't remember positions for individual audio files. I like to listen to podcasts and other long recordings. When I get bored of it, I listen to music for a while and then go back.

When I use my iPod to do that, it properly remembers the position in the podcast/long recording. Of course, that doesn't happen with a thumb drive. I guess it won't happen with a non-iPod either. :mad:

BTW -- for those who may not know this about iPods/iTunes. While podcasts automatically default to remembering their file position, other audio files in iTunes default to going back to the beginning. You can change that by bringing up the "song's" info in iTunes.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
But it would still have the biggest issue I have with thumbdrives: it doesn't remember positions for individual audio files.
Remember, it's not a bug, it's a feature

If you figure out a way to make it remember its position for non-iPod podcasts (*casts?) please let us know.
Appreciate 0