F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Retrofitting Paddle Shifters??
Studio RSR

03-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
RRjflo721
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 2013 328i

Retrofitting Paddle Shifters??

can i buy a BMW steering wheel with paddle shifters and use on my f30 even tho it didnt come with paddle shifters?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
if your car is automatic you might be able to hack the wiring harness to get it to work, but that voids the warranty. The stealership might be able to retro fit if there's a kit otherwise try mrpaddleshift.com, but they're expensive probably around $1500 to $2000 at a guess

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

It should be the same as on E90. It is a semi-easy work when you have the sport wheel (on the E90, the airbag is different between the sport wheel and the normal wheel). It voids the warranty only for related items, and honestly it has very little chances to cause any sort of problems, the paddles are inert, and you attach to the original buttons on the AT stick, which are similar electric flicks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

Anyone have luck retrofitting paddles on the F30? E90 is straight plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
328AL
Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
It voids the warranty only for related items...
I'd be very careful about making this statement, any unauthorized modification can void your entire warranty, as it determined by BMW.

I'd check with your dealer and get some assurances. If your dealer willing to look the other way, that's something they can do.

The logic that they use goes something like this ... "any mod in electrical system can impact other parts connected to it, the same applies for mechanical and other systems".
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328AL View Post
I'd be very careful about making this statement, any unauthorized modification can void your entire warranty, as it determined by BMW.
No. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, enforced by the FTC, specifically prohibits such blanket voiding of a warranty. The only thing the manufacturer can do is to deny a repair if the modification caused the failure.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
328AL
Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
No. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, enforced by the FTC, specifically prohibits such blanket voiding of a warranty. The only thing the manufacturer can do is to deny a repair if the modification caused the failure.
I'm not a lawyer, but I went briefly and looked over the Act. I could not find a specific provision that addresses a manufacture's restriction to deny a coverage based on a consumer's violation of such warranty as long as it was defined in writing prior to purchasing a product.

Now, to address your specific point. By making unauthorized changes to equipment connected to an electrical and electronic systems of a car, one can easily impact other items connected to these systems, which is pretty much everything, other than finish and exterior items. On the other hand, if one installs unauthorized body kit, I don't see how it can short circuit a wiring or impact computer's responses, but it can impact aerodynamic and safety of a car especially at high speeds.

Last edited by 328AL; 08-20-2013 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Anything is possible. If the factory can do it, you can. The only limiting factors are your talent and bankroll.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I had wanted the "sport transmission" option on my car, but it somehow didn't get listed on the order form and the car arrived without it. I asked the dealer if it could be retrofitted, and they checked and determined that it could not. It may be possible to fit the paddles only, but the transmission software is apparently different. There's a good deal of difference in the electrical systems in the F30 versus the E90, so I wouldn't assume it'd be a straightforward install. There's no telling if the wiring harness is the same for paddles/non-padddles cars, and so forth.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Elk
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a lawyer, but I went briefly and looked over the Act.
You need to dig a tiny bit deeper. The FTC has a website, SEMA addresses it, etc.

Quote:
Now, to address your specific point. By making unauthorized changes to equipment connected to an electrical and electronic systems of a car, one can easily impact other items connected to these systems, which is pretty much everything . . .
Theoretically this is possible, but irrelevant.

As a real world statutory matter, a manufacturer cannot deny warranty coverage unless it affirmatively establishes an aftermarket part or improper servicing directly caused the failure at issue. Speculation alone is insufficient.

Even if this burden is met, the warranty otherwise remains in effect for all other covered components.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
328AL
Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
You need to dig a tiny bit deeper. The FTC has a website, SEMA addresses it, etc.

As a real world statutory matter, a manufacturer cannot deny warranty coverage unless it affirmatively establishes an aftermarket part or improper servicing directly caused the failure at issue. Speculation alone is insufficient.

Even if this burden is met, the warranty otherwise remains in effect for all other covered components.
As I stated before, I'm not a legal scalar, and I don't know if your statement above is a direct quote or your personal observation/opinion, so I won't comment or relevancy of that .

However, I did speak to service advisers when I was thinking of modifying my headlights (I know it's a bigger change than shifters) and 1 mechanic who used to work at a BMW dealership. All of them stated that I could loose the whole warranty.

Now, to your point, BMW can show a record of fault codes generated by an addition/change, that would certainty require some kind of response from the main computer and/or other modules to mitigate these failures' impact. Is that sufficient in a court of law, I have no idea?

However, a prospect of getting lawyers involved into 2 years or more of litigation is not something, I'm personally willing to do regardless of chances for a success; that's is my personal opinion, others may disagree.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
Elk
Major
Rep

Quote:
As I stated before, I'm not a legal scalar,
Accepted. (By the way, it is "scholar")

Quote:
All of them stated that I could loose the whole warranty.
And all are wrong.

You have not made any real further attempt to find the answer, have you?

Here is one, easy to read summary: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for Dummies
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
328AL
Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep

Thank you for the correction. No, I have not revisited the law nor had I suggested that your view is wrong.

My position, however, remains the same. If everybody followed laws, why would we need lawyers and lawsuits? People, organizations, companies, politicians (who write them) brake laws all of the time. I'm not willing to spend 2+ years and $$$ to prove to my dealership that I'm right over paddle shifters or lights.

Last edited by 328AL; 08-23-2013 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
SharksF31
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 2016(Nov)

I have the same problem... My 2013-09 F31 came with the "standard" sport steering wheel, which I don't like because of the thin grip and the slippery surface... I can get my hands on another wheel which has the specs I prefer, but this wheel has shifters...

Anyone can advise me if I can get this to work and what it takes to get this to work and if additional coding is required?? I don't care about any warranty, so please skip that discussion! 😉

Thanks again,
Sharks
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Anyone on here add the paddles?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #16
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

The sport auto tranny is the one with paddle shifters. I would trade up to a car equipped with one to insure warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #17
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The sport auto tranny is the one with paddle shifters. I would trade up to a car equipped with one to insure warranty coverage.
I already talked to the dealer and they are fine with it as long as you use OEM parts.
Not sure why adding paddles would do anything to void a warranty anyway..?
Just bought the car and no interest in trading in and losing thousands on taxes, depreciation, and mark up...just to get paddles.

Anyway, if anyone on this thread has successfully done the retrofit, let me know as I have a few questions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #18
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Can be done, but involves some software configuration changes in addition to new hardware. And your cost in parts will be in the neighborhood of $1K, if not more (depends on your current steering wheel mostly). Just google "F30 paddle shift retrofit" for links to the DIYs and discussions.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #19
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Quote:
I already talked to the dealer and they are fine with it as long as you use OEM parts.
Not sure why adding paddles would do anything to void a warranty anyway..?
Just bought the car and no interest in trading in and losing thousands on taxes, depreciation, and mark up...just to get paddles.

Anyway, if anyone on this thread has successfully done the retrofit, let me know as I have a few questions. Thanks!
The installation would need to be done at the dealership as well. Let me know if you're able to do it. I would trade to a certified bimmer with M sport package, I think it comes with paddles but not sure. That way you won't take as much of a hit on depreciation and the cost to install paddle shifters may end up being more expensive. Let us know how it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #20
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Can be done, but involves some software configuration changes in addition to new hardware. And your cost in parts will be in the neighborhood of $1K, if not more (depends on your current steering wheel mostly). Just google "F30 paddle shift retrofit" for links to the DIYs and discussions.
Got all the parts, cost less than $200 to add to my msport wheel.
Having issues running the wire from SW to FEM and have a few questions on the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #21
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Got all the parts, cost less than $200 to add to my msport wheel.
Having issues running the wire from SW to FEM and have a few questions on the wiring.
Is your car under warranty? I would be uncomfortable with messing with wiring harness myself. Anything other than an oil change I would leave to the pros so you're covered if something goes horribly wrong, hopefully not while you're driving as the steering wheel is an important part. Can't have this fail on you on an open highway.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #22
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Is your car under warranty? I would be uncomfortable with messing with wiring harness myself. Anything other than an oil change I would leave to the pros so you're covered if something goes horribly wrong, hopefully not while you're driving as the steering wheel is an important part. Can't have this fail on you on an open highway.
Yes under warranty. But again my dealership is fine with it. And also I don't understand what could be voided...? It's %100 reversible as I had to buy a new backing plate to do the retrofit. And if my n26 blows up...They can't look at the paddles...Which are OEM...And say well there it is, our BMW OEM paddles killed your car, warranty denied!! Now I'm sure if the paddles stopped working or my buttons on the SW stopped...Maybe they could balk at my paddles...But chances are they wouldn't even notice.

Sorry, I know you're giving advice out of concern...And I do appreciate it. But there should be no issue what so ever regarding warranty IMO.

As far as install, yes very important part. But not the end of the world. People swap steering wheels all the time. Wheels/tires are a very important part too but people change those out all the time...Does everyone torque their lug nuts to spec? Doubtful...But it's a good idea....As such, I'll make sure I take the proper precautions with the SW install
Appreciate 0