E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Speaker Upgrade on Logic 7?

08-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
JWadle
Since '75: 530i/733i/745Turbo/M5/M6/325iX/540i
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 6MT Sp Grph

Speaker Upgrade on Logic 7?

Has anyone done a speaker upgrade on an OEM Logic 7 system? Are any audio vendors offering a speaker package for this?
Mods: Short Shift Knob~M-Tech Wheel~CF Interior~BBS RGRs~Passport HW~Blacklines~Rear Fogs~Shadowline Trim~Euro Xenons~Lux 4~M-Tech Front & Sides~Blackout Grille~Rear Power Outlets~Berber Mats
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Yes, I am interested in this, along with possibly tapping in and adding more bass (either upgrading the mini subs or adding a 10" in the trunk).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
JWadle
United_States
Rep

Hard to believe that no one has done a speaker upgrade on a Logic 7 system.

????
Mods: Short Shift Knob~M-Tech Wheel~CF Interior~BBS RGRs~Passport HW~Blacklines~Rear Fogs~Shadowline Trim~Euro Xenons~Lux 4~M-Tech Front & Sides~Blackout Grille~Rear Power Outlets~Berber Mats
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
2007_E93
Captain
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWadle View Post

????
I've seen an earlier post about someone who upgraded their sub with Pioneer or sony sub. He had to make new cutouts for the depth of sub and it was different on each sub as the layout is a bit different on each. Haven't heard about the speakers though. Do a search and see if you can find the sub mod as he had some nice pics. Looked a bit complicated to make it worth it. He had all sorts of problems with the sound being right for all types of music too. Good luck with that,...let us know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
AlB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT gry/blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWadle View Post

????
Well, lets see... the speakers are tuned to the enclosures they are in and overall it is one of the finest sounding systems I have ever had or installed in a vehicle (I used to be an installer). BMW got this one right and messing with the drivers would likely screw it up, unless you've got lots of experience with system balancing and spatial analyzing equipment
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlB View Post
Well, lets see... the speakers are tuned to the enclosures they are in and overall it is one of the finest sounding systems I have ever had or installed in a vehicle (I used to be an installer). BMW got this one right and messing with the drivers would likely screw it up, unless you've got lots of experience with system balancing and spatial analyzing equipment
I think two reasons you aren't getting many replies. Upgrading the speakers would also imply upgrading the amp. Upgrading the amp on a Logic 7 is extremely cumbersome. Not many audio shops have much experience with Logic 7 systems, and hence many owners don't want their car to be the guinea pig.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
JWadle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlB View Post
I agree that the Logic 7 system has good sound as delivered, but IMO to suggest that its one of the finest sounding systems installed in a car is not even close to true. A high-end aftermarket system could easliy surpass the Logic 7. Consider that BMW already offers a system above the Logic 7 for 2008. In my experience, replacing just the speakers with high-end aftermarkets can dramatically improve the sound of an OEM system. Speaker manufacturers have offered upgrade sets for BMWs in the past, and I see no reason why the Logic 7 should be any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkoh View Post
I think two reasons you aren't getting many replies. Upgrading the speakers would also imply upgrading the amp. Upgrading the amp on a Logic 7 is extremely cumbersome. Not many audio shops have much experience with Logic 7 systems, and hence many owners don't want their car to be the guinea pig.
I wouldn't attempt to replace the head unit or amps in the MOST-based system in this car. It's simply too tightly integrated with iDrive and other components (bluetooth, iPod, etc.). However replacing speakers is another matter. If the replacements have the correct specs (size, resistance, power handling), replacing the OEM speakers would not require replacing amps.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Seriously, why would you try to upgrade the Logic 7. If i'm not mistaken it has 4 subs already (front seats + rear deck)?

I wouldn't touch it...its perfect already.

In my opinion, a BMW is not ment to be a rattle box.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
While the BMW Logic 7 may be "finely tuned" it has much room for the improvement. Have you seen the speakers? There are limitations in the relatively cheap hardware. Like the other poster said, it is far from the best system out there. IMO the bass is a bit muddy and the high aren't as crisp as they could be (without being harsh).

I'm personally looking for more SQ, not loudness. Some people confuse the amount of speakers and loudness with sound quality. The amount of speakers in the car are to make up for the quality of the hardware.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Lee Rambler
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4

actually the mid and high frequency drivers are of pretty good quality. they are aluminum drivers (not that it really matters, but they aren't just cheap paper drivers). the biggest down fall of the system in my opinion is the lack of midbass and midbass extension (4" drivers can only do so much...). I'm very impressed with the system for stock and the cost involved in it. It doesn't have the output capabilities and as such the dynamic capabilities as many of the larger aftermarket systems I've had (especially in the bass department), but the balance, imaging and detail are fantastic. In those respects, among the best systems I've had (I've had some VERY high dollar systems, and even held a db drag world record and designed 4 other world record holders). The bass extension is even pretty good, and output is adequate for most times. It's cetainly good enough I'm not going to tear the car apart for it...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Lee Rambler
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4

another thing of important note is that the amplifier has eq and crossover for the factory speakers built into it (it's not in the deck). as such, replacing the speakers may cause some weird aberations in the sound because of the factiry eq. If you want to replace speakers, I'd reccomend something like a JL cleansweep or rockford 360 to interface with the factory deck and then add aftermarket amplification. the biggest shortcoming of the factory equipment probobly is the amplification (other than the lack of midbass due to 4" drivers, but you can't fix that with a stock look).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #12
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Forecast: Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Seriously, why would you try to upgrade the Logic 7. If i'm not mistaken it has 4 subs already (front seats + rear deck)?

I wouldn't touch it...its perfect already.

In my opinion, a BMW is not ment to be a rattle box.
Mine sounds like I have one speaker in the middle of the dash. It pales in comparison to the Bose in my Audi and I'm no audiophile.
      09-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

upgrading the speakers is not enough. As somebody has mentioned, the amp upgrade is needed. Since there is no Digital to Analog converter on the market for our cars, the only way of upgrading would be getting a fullrange signal from stock amp, flattening out the signal, feeding it into aftermarket amp, and then re-equilizing the signal to get the best staging and imaging. Pain in the ass but it will work.

Oh yeah...Logic 7 is absolute shite comparing to every single system I have built.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #14
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Transformer View Post
Mine sounds like I have one speaker in the middle of the dash. It pales in comparison to the Bose in my Audi and I'm no audiophile.
For sure you are no adiophile if you think Bose makes anything of decent quality. That stuff is absolute garbage. Sorry there is no way that your Bose sounded any better than stock logic 7.

SG

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 02:00 AM   #15
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgod View Post
For sure you are no adiophile if you think Bose makes anything of decent quality. That stuff is absolute garbage. Sorry there is no way that your Bose sounded any better than stock logic 7.

SG
+100 I've never heard a good bose system in any car/home....maybe you don't have Logic 7
Appreciate 0