F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Canada - F30 '12 RECALL !! Software Upgrade
proTUNING Freaks

12-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Puri1
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2012

Canada - F30 '12 RECALL !! Software Upgrade

So I called BMW last week for a service appointment and they said I had a factory recall for a software upgrade.

So I had the upgrade done and here are the changes I see..
-The upgrade updates the "FEM BODY" module only. If you code your car, this module controls the power mirrors, seatbelt gong and other features. edit: It updates quite a few modules, you'll need pszdata 48.1 to code your car..
-Trunk kick open (or whatever you call it) is less sensitive. Also the turn signals blink 3 times when it opens, which I'm sure it didn't do before.
-Extended instrument cluster, has a few minor changes, it seems a little different to me, but could just be me. Also the initial BMW startup logo is different, it's like the '13 MY ones now.

- so in short -

NO MAJOR CHANGES, f*ckers kept my car for 4 days saying they're fixing the issues I originally called in for, but all they ended up doing was updating the software!

Last edited by Puri1; 12-05-2012 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

Did you atleast get a loaner?

Dropped mine off last friday for an unrelated brake squealing issue i've been having with the car, and while it was there they said they did some kinda software upgrade on the car. Got the car the same day though, 4 days seems kinda extreme.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Puri1
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOTION View Post
Did you atleast get a loaner?

Dropped mine off last friday for an unrelated brake squealing issue i've been having with the car, and while it was there they said they did some kinda software upgrade on the car. Got the car the same day though, 4 days seems kinda extreme.
Yeah, I had booked a loaner before hand, $20 admin fee charged !!
They kept it for 4 days but I didn't mind since we went to a friends house, who just got the place and it was raining and there was mud everywhere. Safe to say they gave me a red car and I gave them a mud coloured car back.. lol
      12-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Recall here in U.S. as well

I currently brought my vehicle into service (I had the unfortunate displeasure of having a hipster a$$hat on a single-speed bike with no brakes rear end me), in any case, while there I was told of a software recall here in the U.S. as well:

Recall Services: Recall Notice Number:0061680300 - B61 36 12, F30 Programming
Services: FEM

I decided to hold off on installing the recall FEM software, since my vehicle seems to be fine.

If anybody has the complete breakdown of what the FEM software contains, I'm sure we'd all benefit. Plus, if any members have had the install performed, I'd like to hear about it as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Apparently the fix had something to do with the "shorting-out" of the FEM modules on some cars.

I had mine done... coding was wiped.. not a big deal.

I did notice the new startup logo, and the flashing of the trunk when you perform the Kobra-Kai leg-sweep maneuver
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Puri1
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
Apparently the fix had something to do with the "shorting-out" of the FEM modules on some cars.

I did notice the new startup logo, and the flashing of the trunk when you perform the Kobra-Kai leg-sweep maneuver
Good to hear from you bro.. It's been a while.. Yea, those were the two major changes I noticed off the bat.

Just coded everything back plus a few more additions. Since I don't have the adaptive turn lights I coded the fogs on for turning, which I might delete after a while since it does look tacky !!
      12-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post

Did they make a fuss about the previous coding?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Did they make a fuss about the previous coding?
Not at all...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puri1 View Post
Good to hear from you bro.. It's been a while.. Yea, those were the two major changes I noticed off the bat.

Just coded everything back plus a few more additions. Since I don't have the adaptive turn lights I coded the fogs on for turning, which I might delete after a while since it does look tacky !!
Ya man... been really busy lately with the launch of Win8, Windows Phone 8, the Store, etc..

I've been too lazy to recode it. I will sometime soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
MickeyM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E30 325is, R1200RT, F30 335

I took my F30 in for an oil change at 7,000 miles (I'm simply too old school to leave oil in for 15-17K miles!) and was informed of the recall. Didn't think I had seen a thread on this so I asked about the coding content and one of items mentioned was the wipers and while everything has worked flawlessly thus far I'd prefer to not have a wiper failure. He scheduled me to come back and is giving me a loaner. I hope to talk to the tech to see what I can unearth on the coding changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
kppanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz

I had this done too and on difference I noticed was that before when auto wipe is enabled doing a one manual wipe would turn the auto wipe off. with the new upgrade the auto wipe stays on even after a manual wipe.
      12-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Can anyone post the updated software version number?
TIA.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
I took mine to Maranello BMW two weeks ago for a problem with my steering and the mentioned that I had to get this software upgrade too. They were pretty nice to give me a free loaner because of the recall that required the software updeate. They said they can actually bill BMW Canada for that so that it's free of charge to me.

But yeah, I lost all my coding too. Does anyone know who in the GTA can help me re-code my car?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Puri1
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
I took mine to Maranello BMW two weeks ago for a problem with my steering and the mentioned that I had to get this software upgrade too. They were pretty nice to give me a free loaner because of the recall that required the software updeate. They said they can actually bill BMW Canada for that so that it's free of charge to me.

But yeah, I lost all my coding too. Does anyone know who in the GTA can help me re-code my car?
Got your PM... Sorry dude, I don't code anymore.. It's a pain doing it... What's worse is paying someone to do it... Go to the following link and follow the steps. It's really simple..

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696777

You could buy an enet cable from a fellow f30 member NiVeDh...
http://www.f30post.com/forums/member.php?u=63605