E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > V1 Hardwire Question

08-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Post V1 Hardwire Question

i am in the process of doing a v1 hardwire but i don't know which to do. either go through the fuse box or the headlight unit above on the roof. which is easier as i can't tell from the pictures here, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=29.

also looking at this diy, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hardwire+block, what is the v1 hardwire block? i don't seem to have this.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
bimmerFUD
Free Your Heel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

I'd go through the fuse box, but then I've never tried it through the roof.

As far as the "hardwire block," maybe you're referring to the "Direct wire power adapter" (part #20305) at

https://store.valentine1.com/store/d...gory=partsdept

This should have come with your V1. This is the part you use to tie into the "Add a circuit." I'd suggest reading the entire thread in your second link...including my post which is at the end It's not that hard and you're unlikely to screw up anything expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

thanks man. i got an old school v1 radar. one of the first generation models with scratches. does v1 exhchange no matter what condition the v1 is in?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

go in through the fuse box and get the "add a fuse" adaptor that is mentioned in one of the above threads. Best way to do it and you don't have to cut any wires.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2015 X5 x35i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I went in through the light unit, and it took less than 5 minutes to install. I had absolutely no issues, and it works and looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bimmer View Post
I went in through the light unit, and it took less than 5 minutes to install. I had absolutely no issues, and it works and looks awesome.
did you have to cut anything? does the v1 adapter fit in the light unit?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
thanks man. i got an old school v1 radar. one of the first generation models with scratches. does v1 exhchange no matter what condition the v1 is in?
Yes, they do exchange all models. The older the model, the less they will give you towards a new one though. It's still a great deal.

2013 335i xDrive – 6-speed, AW, M Sport Line, Cold Weather, Dymanic Handling, Premium, Technology, 403M, Black Grills, Carbon Caps, Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

I went the fuse box route. It's so incredibly easy and clean.
      08-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
liquid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: graphite 328i E92

i (my dad) went used the fuse box behind the glovebox. we didnt have to cut anything.

james
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

i am in the process of hardwiring my v1 but stumbled into a problem. been using this post for refrence. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=valentine

i bought a "add a circuit" from autozone and plugged a fuse from the v1 box (gray) and inserted the fuse that was taking up the slot into the 2nd slot on the "add a circuit block" so now i got two fuses on this block which i inserted into 1 fuse slot on the fuse circuit board.

now the blue clamp adapter thing from the v1 box, i take that cut the skin off the fuse tap wire and insert the rare metal into the clamp?

lastly has anyone found other ground method besides drilling a hole in the metal pillar?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Quote:
i am in the process of hardwiring my v1 but stumbled into a problem. been using this post for refrence. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=valentine

i bought a "add a circuit" from autozone and plugged a fuse from the v1 box (gray) and inserted the fuse that was taking up the slot into the 2nd slot on the "add a circuit block" so now i got two fuses on this block which i inserted into 1 fuse slot on the fuse circuit board.

now the blue clamp adapter thing from the v1 box, i take that cut the skin off the fuse tap wire and insert the rare metal into the clamp?

lastly has anyone found other ground method besides drilling a hole in the metal pillar?

Yes, you have to cut that portion off and put it into the adaptor on the V1 cord. I didn't drill a hole in the pillar, I used that hex screw and just loosened it up and grounded it there, worked like a charm. I think there are some pictures in that other thread of what I'm talking about. I used that as a guide installing mine, it never mentioned anything about cutting the wire, I just kind of figured that was the only way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:

Use the torx bolt circled in red in this picture. Throw an eyelet on the ground wire (you can get at radio shack for ~1-2 bucks), and put it under this bolt. Very simple and clean..

As for the blue clamp, you do not need to strip any insulation from the wires. Put the two wires into the blue housing, put the metal piece in/close the thing. Squeeze with pliers. The metal will slice through the wire insulation enough to make solid contact to the wires..

Hope this helps some,
Josh

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

in the picture above you see the blue connector near the add a fuse tap? are you supposed to clamp that with the plastic thing that comes in the v1 box?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
installmd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330I - Monaco Blue

If any one is concerned about tapping into a fuse in the fuse box, i have found another way that is a little more work, but much safer since it uses the wiring for the factory cigarette lighter. If you pop up the trim piece in the center console around the shifter, you can unplug the cigarette lighter and place the trim in a safe place, so as to not scratch it. The cigarette lighter has three wires running to it in the plug you just disconneted that is still in the center console. the Green w/Red stripe is the ignition power, the Brown is Ground, and the Grey w/Red stripe is the illumination wire for the lighter trim. wires can easily be run from this location in the center console to the back of the glove box where it can be continued up to the A-pillar like the other threads.

Only word of caution I would give anyone running a wire from a rearview mirror location down to the glove box is to make sure that as you cross the A-Pillar to go down to the glove box, make sure you that the wire goes behind the airbag that is running down the a-pillar. it is not easily possible to do this, without lots of practice, if you don't remove the a-pillar trim piece. this trim is a T-20 Torx scres behind the little cover piece that says Airbag, and then two pop clips. removing this piece is fairly straight forward and easy, but getting it back in can be frustrating at times trying to line up the bottum a;ignment tabs and the two pop clips on the side, but with patience it makes for a much safer install.

hope this helps,
InstallMD
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2015 X5 x35i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
did you have to cut anything? does the v1 adapter fit in the light unit?
I cut NOTHING. The V1 power adapter fits up under the light unit, and then you can run a 6-inch phone cord under the headliner for the V1. I tapped the green/white wire for power, and grounded to a bolt that was easily available. It powers on and off with the ignition.

Here's the details from the DIY I used; this literally took 5 minutes. Use the Green/white wire in the wire bundle as the hot.

Link
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

ah you went through the head unit. does anyone know of the plastic clamp thing from the v1 box i am speaking of?
Appreciate 0