F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > 2013 328xi Classic vs. Sport line?
ARMA SPEED

11-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
mushy_eyes
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458 (in my dreams)

2013 328xi Classic vs. Sport line?

Hey guys,

So it's time to get a new car (yay), and we've narrowed our choice down to the 328xi. If money were not an issue*, which would you choose - the Classic or the Sports line?

*To elaborate on this, I meant that we can afford either one; however, of course, we'd love to save where we can if possible.

To my knowledge, the differences between the 2 are:
- Classic is cheaper by ~$4-7k (depending if we add the Lights and/or Premium Package to the Classic)
- Classic has 17" rims vs Sports' 18" (cheaper wheels FTW!)
- Classic does not have Servotronic, whereas Sports does
- Classic has leatherette, Sports has Dakota leather
- Sports has the HiFi Sound System (not entirely sure what the Classic has, or what the difference would be...)
- Sports has the "High-Gloss Shadow Line" and "Anthracite Roofliner" (not a big deal to us, but just thought I'd list it for completeness :P)

Lighting Package:
- Without it, Classic does not have auto dimming interior mirror, bi-xenon headlights, and lights package (not sure what the last one is)
- Classic has auto dimming exterior mirrors (with the Lights Package), whereas the Sports does not

Premium package:
- Without it, Classic does not have a glass sunroof, Burl Walnut wood trim, chrome accent trim
- Classic has the through loading system (with the Premium Package), whereas the Sports does not

My questions/concerns:
1. Are auto dimming mirrors necessary? In my Mazda, I can dim the rearview mirror by manually flicking the mirror (not sure if the result/quality of the dim is the same though) - is it possible on the Bimmer?

2. Along the same lines, do you think the Lighting Package is necessary? We are leaning towards getting it, but it'd be nice to hear your thoughts on it.

3. Is Servotronic necessary? Servotronic is power steering assist, so if the Classic doesn't have it, does it just mean that the steering wheel feels "heavier" when turning? Or is there more to it? Is it safer to have it?

4. What are your thoughts on the Leather Sport Steering Wheel of the Sports line - is it much better than the normal steering wheel?

5. Same question as #4, but re: sports seats.

6. Same question as #4, but re: HiFi sound system.

7. We are leaning towards not getting the Premium Package - we survived without having the through loading system and sunroof in our current MB (and if we really wanted sun, we have our Miata for that ), but I suppose the Burl Walnut wood trim does make the Bimmer seem a bit more like the $ we're going to spend on it vs. I dunno... a Honda? lol But $1850 for a wood trim... I'm quite conflicted at the moment. What are your thoughts on it?

Well, that's the end of my long post - have I missed anything?

Thanks for reading/answering!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

I just picked up my classic line today with actually the 2 packages you're talking about (premium and lighting)
that's all I bought but I've been with BMW for ages and I can give you some insight
one thing you have to keep in mind though: without lighting package you get no projectors as well so unlike most Japanese cars nowadays if you just put in hid bulbs you will be blinding everyone if you don't aim your headlights down that is.
it also comes with auto headlamps (self leveling and adaptive) which helps illuminate better while turning and when you are driving faster the lights aim up a bit so you can see further
also you get the iconic BMW angel eyes (must have!)

premium pack is where I kinda screwed myself up
*IT DOESN'T COME WITH COMFORT ACCESS!*
so everyone be warned...if you buy classic line the premium pack doesn't come with comfort access..
but anyways that's my mistake...
honestly though premium pack is not worth it I could've lived without a sunroof and folding back seats but the only reason I bought premium pack was for the comfort access...which isn't included
and once you get premium pack your stuck with the wood looking trim..which I don't like (but im 21) makes me look old
if I was more aware I would've gotten navigation pack instead of premium

sound quality wise I'm not big into quality when it comes to cars so I find it acceptable but it's definitely nothing compared to my home theater setup or even my computer setup.

the 17 rims are nice if you're going to replace them anyways but one thing is (again where I screwed up)
*BMW CHANGED THE BOLT SIZES FOR THEIR HUBS*
I've owned 3 bmws all of which are 3 series (E46 E90 E90LCI and now an F30) and they have never changed the bolt thickness until this generation.. I bought a set of rims for my last E90 and now they don't fit because the bolts are too fat to fit into the holes in my rims. so beware not every rim that's 5 x 120 will fit.

when it comes to auto dimming mirrors i had them in my E90 pre LCI and didn't get them in my LCI but soon after I noticed it really makes a huge difference when people with blinding non projectord hids are behind you so I would get that for sure

sport seats I'm too fat for so they aren't comfortable at all to me

as far as servotronic...I can't feel the difference from the sport line
neither could a buddy of mine (who owns a sport line)

one note is if you don't get navigation package or driver assistance package (I think)
you don't get the nice digital fuel consumption monitor with the color screen and what not.

ove always got leatherette instead of real leather because it's easier to clean and doesn't crack with age from what I know of
since its some type of plastic

hope that long post helps
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Very well said 1lyfe!

My answer to the OP is to go for the sports line; you'll love the sport seats!

Also the premium package is a must and if possible, throw in the luxury/executive (forgot what they called it) package and you're done!

This would really make your car complete and you'll really enjoy it.

Price tag: Not sure! But I would suggest you call my contact at BMW of Mississauga and he'll definitely give you a great deal.

Good luck!
      11-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

From my cheat sheet (which may not be accurate), the classic line has:
- 17" wheels instead of 18"
- Halogen headlamps (upgradable for $1200 in lighting package)
- Leatherette seating
- No sunroof (part of Premium Package for $1850)
- Lesser option packages available

Plus the aforementioned sport seats are standard on the sport line.

The Premium Package ($1850) on the Classic has:
- Sunroof
- Through Loading system
- Burl Walnut trim
- Chrome interior trim highlight

Other packages are:
Lighting - $1200 (includes auto dimming, bi-xenons, ambiance lighting)
Navigation - $2000 (includes extended instrument cluster)
BMW Apps
Through-Load
Heated steering
BMW Assist
Rear Park Distance Control

The Premium Package in the 328xi "lines" is very different from the one on the classic. It's a $3500 package, and you get:
- Alarm
- Comfort Acces
- Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors
- Through-Loading system
- Park Distance Control
- Navigation
- Voice Recognition

There are many other different packages available on the "lines". I can add more if it would help.

----------------------

The Xenons are night and day above the halogen headlights.

Auto-dimming exterior mirrors are handy, but not a necessity.

Leather versus leatherette is less of a big deal than I thought. The leatherette is actually not too bad, lasts long, and cleans easily.

Otherwise, it's mostly about other gizmos and additions you want. I have lots of connectivity in my vehicle, which works for me, but isn't a priority for everyone. Same for the higher-end HK system. I love this, my husband has frikkin AM radio in his truck, and he's happy with that.

Both the classic and the sport 328xi come with the same "servotronic" steering rack, as far as I've heard. I don't believe there's a difference.

The upgraded steering wheel on any of the "lines" is much nicer to me. The only difference with the sport one and the other "lines" one is the colour of the stitching.

The sport seats work well for some, not well for other. If they're more comfortable for you, then they're a value. Otherwise, not. If they're not, skip the sport line and look at modern or luxury, because the only other thing you get with the sport line in the xi is different cosmetic touches inside and out.

Last edited by S-Dot; 11-29-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
mushy_eyes
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458 (in my dreams)

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone!

I think we'll have to actually sit in the cars to see if the sports seats and wheel makes a big difference... but if they don't, then I think we're leaning towards the Classic with Lighting Package!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

If you are to get anything extra.....first and most important get the xenons. Leather is nice but the leatherette is also very good and no one will even know the difference. I love the sunroof but if you won't use it don't bother ordering it. Sport seats are nice and add to the appearance of the interior but not an absolute must have. To stress again.....get the xenons for sure!
Appreciate 0