E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Adding an OEM/aftermarket CD changer - please advise!

08-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
eritsa
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 coupe

Adding an OEM/aftermarket CD changer - please advise!

Hello all,

My wife's birthday is coming up and I am thinking to get her a CD changer for her 2007 E90 (335i sedan). Her car has HD radio, i-Drive/Nav, and 6FL.

I know adding a CD changer is unnecessary in her case but I still would like to know:
1. Can BMW OEM CD changer play MP3 files (in addition to regular CD songs)? What is the P/N?
2. Can I puchase an aftermarker CD changer (using the current pre-wire location)?
3. By adding a CD changer, does it affect her 6FL? The CD changer is an extra AUX input, right?

Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

i know this isn't going to answer any of the above...but i have sirius, hd radio, and 6fl and there is no way in hell i would ever put a cd changer in and i have EVERY OPTION AND THEN SOME!!!! i just don't get it ipods will be up to 120gigs soon i have an 80 and a 60 and i have 560 gigs of music!!!!!!!!!! what do you need a cd changer for in the wifes car!!!! if you buy a cd you put it in the dash if you have an ipod you have NO USE FOR A CD CHANGER!!!!!since you can hold way way more on the ipod...i got Sirius after and i wish i had gotten it when i ordered the car instead of spending the extra 400 on it!!! but i love it and with the Grateful Dead channel coming any day now it should be awesome!!!!!! good luck i think it should all work fine!!! just confused i am a gadget freak aand have no use for a cd changer!!!! maybe that's why, cause there are a lot better options than a cd changer which is why bmw felt it was unneccessary!!!! cd's are like tapes now!!!! there seen is gone and over!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
bmrowe
Private
Rep
Drives: 740i black/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
i know this isn't going to answer any of the above...but i have sirius, hd radio, and 6fl and there is no way in hell i would ever put a cd changer in and i have EVERY OPTION AND THEN SOME!!!! i just don't get it ipods will be up to 120gigs soon i have an 80 and a 60 and i have 560 gigs of music!!!!!!!!!! what do you need a cd changer for in the wifes car!!!! if you buy a cd you put it in the dash if you have an ipod you have NO USE FOR A CD CHANGER!!!!!since you can hold way way more on the ipod...i got Sirius after and i wish i had gotten it when i ordered the car instead of spending the extra 400 on it!!! but i love it and with the Grateful Dead channel coming any day now it should be awesome!!!!!! good luck i think it should all work fine!!! just confused i am a gadget freak aand have no use for a cd changer!!!! maybe that's why, cause there are a lot better options than a cd changer which is why bmw felt it was unneccessary!!!! cd's are like tapes now!!!! there seen is gone and over!!!
The playback quality from an aux device like an ipod is much worse than CD quality. And since we are on the topic of ipods, they are easily one of the most overrated mp3 players in terms of playback quality anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
If you have 6fl just plug in some HUGE ass USB drive.
As for your questions the OEM 6 disc does play MP3's and it is supposed to be a different AUX than your AUX adapter but I'm not 100% sure. I was looking into it before my car got here but once I realized I could burn CD's and DVD's with menus I figured that would be good enough. I just wish I had 6fl. They didn't have that until March and mine was a Feb build.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post
The playback quality from an aux device like an ipod is much worse than CD quality. And since we are on the topic of ipods, they are easily one of the most overrated mp3 players in terms of playback quality anyway.
I agree. Switching from CD to iPOD on my car is always disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
fer360
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eritsa View Post
Hello all,

My wife's birthday is coming up and I am thinking to get her a CD changer for her 2007 E90 (335i sedan). Her car has HD radio, i-Drive/Nav, and 6FL.

I know adding a CD changer is unnecessary in her case but I still would like to know:
1. Can BMW OEM CD changer play MP3 files (in addition to regular CD songs)? What is the P/N?
2. Can I puchase an aftermarker CD changer (using the current pre-wire location)?
3. By adding a CD changer, does it affect her 6FL? The CD changer is an extra AUX input, right?

Thank you so much!
I have the CD changer.

1. The OEM CD changer plays the same audio formats as the in-dash player including MP3.

2. I have no idea.

3. The BMW part number is 65126964601 and the list price is around $600. It also requires an install kit, replacement trunk panel and coding to be recognized by the radio. It will be displayed as "CD Changer" on the MID and has no effect on 6FL operation. (Note that the DEALER installed iPod interface will not work with a CD Changer)

AUX has nothing to do with the CD Changer.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
combatcarry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

Just get an IPOD

My vote is go for the iPod over the changer. Yes, you may loose some sound quality, but unless your wife is an audiophile she won't be able to tell the difference. Plus, she can probably store every CD you own on her iPod. Messing with CDs sucks......
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
bmrowe
Private
Rep
Drives: 740i black/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatcarry View Post
My vote is go for the iPod over the changer. Yes, you may loose some sound quality, but unless your wife is an audiophile she won't be able to tell the difference. Plus, she can probably store every CD you own on her iPod. Messing with CDs sucks......
It isn't really an audiophile only type of thing. There is a ton of compression when listening to mp3s as well as using the aux jack like that. If you went with only a lossless format (which takes up a lot more *******, you would could maybe get it to the point where your wife won't notice the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatcarry View Post
While I agree iPOD is better bang for your buck.... you definitely don't need to be an audiophile to hear the diff b/w ipod and CD. Anyone can tell the difference like Night and Day!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

If you want highest available quality and most storage, you could go with a USB 2.5" drive with a MOST-bus interface such as the Dension GW500.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 02:04 AM   #11
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
There's no point in getting the changer if her music is already encoded to MP3. Let's assume for a second the CD changer is 6 CDs. You can burn up to 700MB on a CD. That's 700x6 = 4200MB. You can buy a 4 Gig USB flash stick for around $100-120 I think and get the same storage. Want more storage? Buy a bigger flash drive or get another 4G one. You get the same thing as if you'd put in CDs with MP3.

Or you can just get your wife an iPod, then she can use the music in the car or anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I agree. Just get a 4GB or 8GB flash drive and store everything as wav files. Should play no problems.
Appreciate 0