E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > New Beginnings

07-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #1
BMW.DREAMS
Rep
Drives: 07 PASSAT 07 TOURAGE

New Beginnings

Hello BimmerPOST. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place; I'm a car salesman. I've been selling Mazda's and Volkswagons for the past seven years. I'm very good and have a lot of satified customers. I'm at Gunther Motors of Fort Lauderdale.... The problem is I've been offered a job at Vista BMW. I have friends who work there who have been there for several years trying to get me to come and i finally got over there and interviewed and ...of course things went well.... I found this site because i wanted to research the dealer myself and see what people thought about there experience because that important to me when making a big desicion. I'm hearing some good things about vista and some bad more good but what should i do. Stay at Mazda/VW...or make the Upgrade....?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 02:57 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

If you just like selling cars in general, I would stay with the dealership that will allow me to make the most money.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
If you just like selling cars in general, I would stay with the dealership that will allow me to make the most money.
+1

I think working at Vista though would be a new and joyful experience for you though....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
BMW.DREAMS
Rep

I will take all that advice into consideration. I love selling cars and I feel that what would be better than selling the best...BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.DREAMS View Post
I will take all that advice into consideration. I love selling cars and I feel that what would be better than selling the best...BMW
The thing with high end cars is that while you might make more money per car (keyword: might) but you'll most likely sell less cars than Mazda, Toyota, Honda, etc.

I used the word might because you will make more money on some models and less on other models. I dont know about the rest of the line but the 3 series will give you marginal profits (or revenue). Unless the car is in high demand (335 coupe), the rest wont give you that much gross (335 sedans go for about $500-1000 over invoice; 328s go for about $500 or less).

If you're an internet or fleet manager, you can probably make more money because you get money in the front and in the back. But Im sure you know all this already.

Bottom line- IMO if you think you'll sell the same amount (or close to) of BMWs as Mazdas, you'll most likely make more money. The reason why I said this is because I used to work with an Internet Director at Toyota. He went to Mercedes to be a fleet manager there and ended up going back to Toyota. He told me MB was so boring and he didnt make nearly as much money as he did at Toyota (and this was at the largest or second largest MB in the Bay Area).

EDIT: you should ask the admin to move this thread to the off-topic section. You'll get more responses that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #6
BMW.DREAMS
Rep

Yeah you are right. But this happens to be the #1 dearler in the U.S. and i have a few friend who are pushing. Thats why in life you never burn bridges. But that cool to know about the profit margins....Something to really consider.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

The person who sold me my 335i said that if you are a hard worker and sell decent amount, you will make a good amount at BMW. 6 figure is not so farfetched from what I hear.

I had a friend who went from selling Hondas to selling Infinitis, he was having a hard time with Infiniti. He said that he made less per car selling Hondas, but he sold more of those. He had trouble pushing enough units to satisfy the management at Infiniti.

I think it all depends on your attitude...when I go to a dealership, I will decide if I will buy a car from the salesman within the first 5 mins of talking to him or her.

Also with BMW, they try to build a closer knit friendship rather than just a sale. I still get lunch with my salesman from time to time. They do this so that word of mouth spreads and hopefully more customers will come in for them. My salesman also told me that when a friendship is formed, many a time, the customer will call them several years later and ask to upgrade to the newer model.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
BMW.DREAMS
Rep

You know you are absoultly right. You have to form a friendship with your customer because they can buy a car at any dealership. But they have to like you to do business with you... So your right. Attitude is the key ... One of the reasons i picked this dealer is because they are #1 in the US. And with my already strong following with Mazda VW i can carry that into this region.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

BMW buyers can be more picky, needy, cheap, demanding than most others

I would avoid working with BMW owners if at all possible

look at all the threads on here with people making a major fuss over minor issues... just look around...

BMW buyers will make you dislike your job, don't jump! stay where you are with less picky and horrible clients
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 03:34 AM   #10
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
BMW buyers can be more picky, needy, cheap, demanding than most others
I was actually thinking this same exact thing....BUT which dealer ISN'T going to have these types of people?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
I was actually thinking this same exact thing....BUT which dealer ISN'T going to have these types of people?
I think any dealer that doesn't sell BMW should be better off in that respect, really I don't think it's possible to find more people that are amazingly full of themselves because they rounded up 35 grand for a 3 series
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #12
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I think any dealer that doesn't sell BMW should be better off in that respect, really I don't think it's possible to find more people that are amazingly full of themselves because they rounded up 35 grand for a 3 series
Mid 40s for me after tax and licensing

Also for me it comes down to price. Even if I despise the salesman, I'd be willing to put up with it if he gives me a great price (but it is unlikely given his demeanor). I would not give very glowing reviews to BMW when they call though.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
BMW.DREAMS
Rep

LOL!!!!! I do understand and let me tell you I sell VW's and Mazda's and Mazda's don't break down at least since the mazda 6 and 3 came out the product is great. But these VW customers are the worst they do complain about everything...and i understand because i drive two. But your gonna deal with those situations wherever you go. Well it is coming down to the wire.. I'm gettting called for the PEA EXAM(DRUG TEST). So since i dont smoke or drink i should be in... anyway will repost soon...
Appreciate 0