F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Venture Shield vs Opti Coat
GetBMWParts

08-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
cjs033
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sport Line

Venture Shield vs Opti Coat

Checked with the local auto detailing shop in my area to see if they sold Opti Coat and they didn't. Instead he gave me a brochure about a product called Venture Shield Paint Protection System.

Essentially it's a urethane film they put over the body of the car wherever you want it and it comes with a lifetime guarantee. He said most people put it on the hood and front grill section of the vehicle to protect against stone chips. To do the whole vehicle would be very very expensive.

I'm not sure I want a wrap to cover my car. Anyone have any experience with it? They did provide a website which is www.ventureshield.com

Thanks

2012 BMW 335i Sedan Sport Line, Mineral Grey Metallic, 35% tint, premium package, sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
brianch
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Wish I had a M3

Venture Shield is pretty much the same concept as 3M Clear Bra. It's a clear vinyl type film that they apply to the front of the car to prevent rock chips. That is it's best function = preventing small rock chips. It does protect the paint from being scratched but I find that the film becomes swirled and scratched easily. The film is also noticeable among the paint.

Opti-Coat is not a film. It's a chemical ceramic coating that is applied to the car in a similar way that you would wax your car after a fresh polish. The difference between Opti-Coat and Wax is that OC lasts in theory forever... Where as the best waxes lasts 2 months at the best. Opti-Coat has the same characteristics as wax in which its hydrophobic (water resistant). Cars are much easier to clean and maintain with Opti-Coat applied. When Opti-Coat is fully cured it has a higher hardness rating than regular clear coat so its more resistant to scratches and swirls.

Two different products for two different purposes

Here is a video demonstrating the sheeting and hydrophobic abilities of Opti-Coat/Guard.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
cjs033
Canada
Rep

Ok I'm convinced...I need to get this done...and soon so thanks for that

2012 BMW 335i Sedan Sport Line, Mineral Grey Metallic, 35% tint, premium package, sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Yep. Go with the above poster, Brian Cheng, he's a detailer of Alpha Autospa and he works from his home garage near Pacific Mall. Very reasonable price.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alpha-...008227?sk=info

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs033 View Post
Ok I'm convinced...I need to get this done...and soon so thanks for that
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Do it, you won't regret it. After you're opti-coated a simple wash has your car looking freshly waxed.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
TrovaFortuna
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Give Kevin a call, his shop is in Mississauga

1 (647) 203-5164
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
cjs033
Canada
Rep

That's great, thanks guys I'm definately doing it...I don't have the time I used to have to detail the car myself every two weeks so this will definately help

Cheers
Chris

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
cjs033
Canada
Rep

Funny thing...now the dealer is pushing a product called "Xzilon" on me now for $299 dollars but I told them no thanks I was going with the Opti-Coat treatment instead...

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
jameh
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs033 View Post
Funny thing...now the dealer is pushing a product called "Xzilon" on me now for $299 dollars but I told them no thanks I was going with the Opti-Coat treatment instead...
Xzilon or whatever is not like Opti-Coat. It's like a paint sealant. Smacked of snake oil to me, and it should be telling that their website insists it's only available through dealerships (not pro detailers), and looks more like an insurance policy with submit-a-claim links and such.

Bias on my part: I had my car professionally prepped then Opti-Coated, and I'm loving how dust and stuff come right off. The car looks fabulous (so shiny and slick!) and the protected surfaces feels smooth as Teflon.

And for your original question, yes, that urethane film is just a clear bra. That type of protection never seemed useful to me, with the potential for the film to get warped and show through the paint making it look ugly.
      09-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Shep1
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i msport;135i m convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameh View Post
Xzilon or whatever is not like Opti-Coat. It's like a paint sealant. Smacked of snake oil to me, and it should be telling that their website insists it's only available through dealerships (not pro detailers), and looks more like an insurance policy with submit-a-claim links and such.

Bias on my part: I had my car professionally prepped then Opti-Coated, and I'm loving how dust and stuff come right off. The car looks fabulous (so shiny and slick!) and the protected surfaces feels smooth as Teflon.

And for your original question, yes, that urethane film is just a clear bra. That type of protection never seemed useful to me, with the potential for the film to get warped and show through the paint making it look ugly.
James - do you have the clear bra as well as opti coat? Or do you think the opti coat is good enough to go with the clear bra. I have had the clear bra on my other cars for stone chip prevention. My new 335 is arriving at the end of the month and I need to decide what to do. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
jameh
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep1 View Post
James - do you have the clear bra as well as opti coat? Or do you think the opti coat is good enough to go with the clear bra. I have had the clear bra on my other cars for stone chip prevention. My new 335 is arriving at the end of the month and I need to decide what to do. Thanks.
I only have the Opti-Coat. OC is not going to prevent stone chips or replace a clear bra's functionality; it will prevent contaminates from bonding to your paint (dust, dirt, waterspots, bird crap, brake dust, etc), obviates the need for wax (though you still could), and resists light marring and such. But it's basically a permanent, very hard, hydrophobic sacrificial clearcoat on top of the paint. Makes washing a breeze, and all you need is a quick hand wash or a spritz of quick detailer every now and then to keep it looking awesome.

I know some people have prepped their paint, applied clear bra, and then OC'd the whole thing, but the long term dangers still exist of the clear bra affecting looks over time.

I posted this in my thread on OC, but for a 2 year durability test of OC, check out this guy: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html Took a new car, and applied OC to exactly half of it, and tracked results across 2 years. Very cool.

[edit]Also, friendly wave from Waterloo; just noticed you're in Kitchener. ;-)[/edit]